Exposure to Dog's Bark at 110.5 dB!

Discussion in 'Support' started by spikedears, Mar 23, 2018.

1. spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      Does this world not know any empathy or kindness.

Today, I was at a friend's house and the postman knocked on the door. Her Labrador let out this deep bark that registered at 110.5 dB on my iPhone reader!

Luckily I had my peltor muffs with me and these on after the first bark.

Ear spiking now though. What should and can I do? Back into the panic cycle! The bark was so loud I felt the table I was leaning on vibrate.

Help and advice please guys

2. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Harm is a function of volume X period of exposure. I doubt one dog bark can harm anyone.

I learned that more often than not we worry too much. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      You were at a friend’s house, why were you monitoring dB? Are you in a constant state of sound anxiety where you feel the need to check volume levels? I mean, you were at a friend’s house not a crowded restaurant, a concert, etc.

Depending on the app, the measurement may not have been accurate too. I’ve found a large discrepancy between apps.

You’re likely dealing with an anxiety spike. People with tinnitus have dogs. Dogs bark. Yet I do not think there is any data showing severe tinnitus and hearing loss is more prevalent for dog owners.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      Constantly monitor noise, yeh, and walk around in earplugs.

The obsession over this T has really began to take over my life. It is all I think about from the moment I get up to the moment I go to sleep. The thoughts and FEAR is inescapable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I understand, it's so hard not to become obsessed. I struggle with this constantly. I went for a walk yesterday and it was super windy, I started to panic about the wind in my ears and walked the last 500 metres to my house with my hands over my ears. I got back inside and thought "oh god I need to stop this behaviour, this is ridiculous"

I am learning to be more self aware and recognise when I'm obsessing but it's so hard. I am sorry you are experiencing this too.

6. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Right there my friend, this is your main problems right now, and not Tinnitus.

Look for help, maybe professional, or maybe just engange in auto-education about how to control anxiety, fear and depression.

What ever help you need just ask we will be very glad to give you some advise.

Things can help right now:

1) Protect your ears ONLY when necessary. Getting a spike because of noise trauma while you are doing everyday activities... I think the chances of being hit by a car and dying are bigger than thouse of getting a sound trauma while walking streets.

2) STOP MONITORING your T, the sound, the leve, the types. If you are eating luch, concentrate on that. If you are watching a movie, concentrate on that... if you are at the house of a friend concentrat on that.

3) Don't compare your life whith the "perfect" lifes of other people. Brother, believe me, there are people with problems WAAAAY worst that T, and they look normal if you pass by their side.

4) Start to enjoy things in very small increments. A couple of seconds watching nature, then a couple of minutes taking a walk, then a couple of hours watching a movie, then a complete day going to camping... etc, very small increments. It could take you months from 1 step to another.

Keep strong,

• Like Like x 2
    7. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      You need to change your behaviour. Going everywhere in earplugs whilst monitoring every sound on your phone is a recipe for disaster. You could give yourself hyperacusis as well. The way you are now is a great way to keep your mind right in the anxiety zone; the sweet spot for tinnitus to thrive.

It’s hard to change something once it’s a habit but you must try for your own sanity.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      hi @JohnnyMx thanks for the detailed post and the advice! Do you have any advice on how best to accomplish and achieve this?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      hi @Ed209 thanks for taking the time and for the consideration in reply. Do you a have any advice on how best to change these behaviours? I seem addicted to these plugs. Wearing them most of if not all day and sometimes night. I know I need to stop, but I just cant seem to. It's such a desperate situation

10. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The professional route would be CBT. Doing it on your own will take time and you have to be persistent. Start small and stop wearing earplugs when you leave the house; just don’t go anywhere particularly loud. Do this for a while to get accustomed to not wearing them and at the same time put your decibel app away. Unless you’re going to a workshop or a rave you’ll be fine.

Over time gradually reintroduce yourself to moderate noise doing the same process. If you stick with it you’ll overcome your fears and change your behaviour for the better. But remember what they say: old habits die hard. It’s easier said than done because you will now have a very real fight or flight stress response when you first do this. It’s whether you can get past this stage without the help and support of someone else. You can definitely do it though.