External Sounds "Sticking" to Your Ears, Anyone? Palinacousis or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Support' started by alex45c, Mar 14, 2019.

1. alex45c

alex45c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknow
      Hello everyone, I have a problem that comes back these days. When I hear a sound, such as a firefighter siren, a speaker, sounds will repeat after that. The definition could be palinacousis, but I saw that it was often related to a lesion of the temporal lobe, but it's been 10/12 years since I have that so I think I would probably be dead if it was this diagnosis...

It goes away for a long time, and comes back particularly in times of intense stress (I suffer from generalized anxiety).

I wanted to know if anyone else had the same experience.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Sucks you got no response.

This fun kind of tinnitus happens to me 100% as well. Typically loud sounds I hear through hearing protection, or sounds in the distance in quiet will "stick" even in their pattern, always around 200-500 Hz.

Lesions won't kill you but a tumour might. I think mine's seizure like activity.
      I'm getting an MRI to confirm lesions of temporal lobe.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. bunny97

bunny97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dysacusis since mid december 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe Benzos or Kratom, maybe not
      I actually have that too plus hearing distortions (broken speaker syndrome). When I hear for instance the phone ringing I would still hear it in the background after it stopped when there was noise around me. The distortions are sometimes annoying but I can live with it. It gets much worse when I get stressed or sleep deprived. I'm pretty sure I caused this by abusing benzodiazepines and other GABAergic drugs plus genetics. It just suddenly appeared one morning after drinking the evening before, that was over 16 months ago and it didn't really change.

I did an MRI and it was fine. Interestingly, my mom also says she sometimes has similar symptoms like a sound sticking in her hear, especially when she is tired. So there might be a big genetic component.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. in_LA

in_LA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Mine started this June, and it's loud at times.

You've had it for 12 years? How did yours happen?

5. in_LA

in_LA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      What did your MRI say?

6. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Absolutely nothing. It was also garbage 1.5 T with no contrast. Basically no tumours.

7. in_LA

in_LA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Correct me if I'm wrong, I think the new Canon MRI Vantage Galan offers high quality images without the dye, the problem is finding a place that has them. I'm looking for one myself here in Southern California.

8. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I absolutely wouldn't even know where to start looking for specific MRIs. That would take calling up hospital techs.

• Agree Agree x 1