Feel Like This Is Going to Drive Me Insane!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Aunt Boo, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Aunt Boo

Aunt Boo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus came on suddenly. This past May it was just there. It keeps getting worse. A loud ringing, along with a buzzing, and layered over the top is a humming noise. Only in my left ear. Doc can't find anything, but he had me try Flonase, and then Prednisone, which did not help. ENT, without even looking in my ear, says "You'll have to learn to live with it." He did, however, set me up with an appointment with an Audiologist in December. I don't feel like I have any hearing loss, but we shall see.
      I can't get away from it. The thought of living another 30 years like this is depressing. Don't think I can do that.
      :(

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Aunt Boo tinnitus can be difficult in the early stages but it does get easier with time. You might find the post below helpful.
      All the best
      Michael

New to tinnitus what to do?

The onset of loud intrusive tinnitus can be very traumatic for most people. I use the words loud and intrusive, because tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities. When it is mild, moderate or occasionally heard in quiet surroundings it is usually not too bothersome and a person can go about their daily affairs quite happily and unperturbed by this anomaly. This type of tinnitus usually comes on gradually and in some cases it’s associated with hearing loss, as we get older and the usual treatment is the wearing of hearing aid/s.

Tinnitus can be caused by other things: an underlining medical problem, build up of ear wax (cerumen). Jaw problems. Some medications and even irregular blood flow through the body causing Pulsatile tinnitus. There are a plethora of other conditions that can be responsible. However, the most common cause is exposure to loud noise or music that has been played at high levels causing some damage to the cochlear in the inner ear.

This type of tinnitus can be loud, intrusive and very debilitating. Often leaving a person at a loss and not knowing which way to turn to escape the nightmare that has suddenly come upon them. Your Dr has probably told you, it’s tinnitus and nothing can be done, you’ll just have to learn to live with it. I remember those words as if it were yesterday resonating through my mind and thinking, live with this for the rest of my life, impossible. So I fully understand how difficult it can be for someone new to this condition to take this in and believe it to be factual.

If you are having difficulty sleeping you might have been advised to try a night time sedation or an ant-depressant to help cope with the stress and anxiety that often accompanies tinnitus. These medications can be helpful especially in the early stages and they don’t have to be taken long term, so it’s something to consider. They can act as a safety net so you don’t become too down.

A referral to ENT will usually be recommended. In the mean time try to keep occupied with something you like doing, as it helps to distract the brain from focusing on the tinnitus. Avoiding quiet rooms during the day by playing low level non intrusive music such as classical in the background can be helpful.

At night a sound machine placed by the bedside playing nature sounds or listening to favourite mp3 tracks or Cds are good. Keeping the volume just below the tinnitus is ideal and set to play throughout the night until morning. It takes time to get used to sound therapy so please stay with it. Whilst in a deep sleep it supplies the brain and auditory system with sound enrichment. Over time the tinnitus is pushed further into the background helping to make its perception less noticeable during waking hours.

In the early stages of tinnitus, if one chooses not to use sound enrichment sleeping can sometimes be difficult and there’s also the chance of the tinnitus becoming more intrusive as sleeping in a quiet room can allow the brain to increase it’s own background activity. In doing so it will also increase the tinnitus making it more intrusive during waking hours.

There is a tendency for newbies to try and cure their tinnitus which is quite understandable. There are many remedies, treatments and concoctions out there. Some affordable others quite expensive. I am not adverse to trying to help myself but want to say, there are charlatans and con artists eager to relieve someone in distress of their money so please be careful. Even tried and tested treatments I wouldn’t recommend a person try until they have been seen at ENT. Often a person after been seen at ENT is advised to wait a while.

The reason being. Many people habituate to tinnitus within six months sometimes a little longer and it has been known to go away. The ear is a very delicate organ and many Drs prefer to wait before investigating further and then suggesting a treatment. If other problems are experienced such as: pain in the ears, deafness, dizziness or balance problems this is of more concern and a person will usually been seen quicker.

It is best to have a word with your GP if you’re feeling stressed or depressed in any way, as previously mentioned there are treatments available. Leaving things alone until ENT advise you of the next step is the best thing to do in my opinion. Don’t try to fix anything or throw large sums of money at treatments that you have no way of knowing whether you’ll get any relief.

It is not advisable to listen to audio through headphones even at low volume and keep away from loud sounds. By all means go out but anywhere that plays loud music then wear noise reducing earplugs.
      Take things slowly and one day at a time. Read some of the positivity threads and ask other members for advice. Many people eventually habituate to their tinnitus and go on to lead a happy and fulfilling life even though it may take a little time.

• Like Like x 1
    3. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      I'm afraid doctors can't do sh*t. Most "research" into treatments are shooting in the dark to see "what works." In my opinion they are going about this all backwards. Cause and effect has been all but lost in biomedical research. It's present in every other hard science field, e.g. chemistry and physics. I think T won't be solved until a person's subjective tinnitus can be objectively measured. By that I don't mean frequency matching because it still involves a subjective determination by the patient. What I mean is a device that can actually detect what you yourself are hearing. I don't imagine this to be too difficult. Doctors can objectively measure whether a baby can hear certain tones through the use of ABR, so I would imagine that fine-tuning this could lead to something.

4. snow47
      Cold

snow47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think pressure to jaw. I don't know.
      I think tinnitus is difficult all the time. We don't have other option so we say that.
      It destroy my life and I hat it.But what we can do.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I don't agree @snow47 Many people have tinnitus and can carry on and lead a normal life doing everything that they want to. It is true, the condition can be very debilitating for some people and they may need medication to cope as in my case clonazepam, but I still manage. Tinnitus has a lot to do with a person's attitude and what they want out of life and it is still possible to be positive. The fact that you are able to use a computer is proof, for today at least that you are able to function, and not like some people whose tinnitus is so severe on occasions they are on medication and in bed all day...
      Michael

I would rather be happy than right.

Many people with tinnitus experience anxiety, depression and low moods. With time they often improve and some with the help of medications eventually habituate. Others may experience spikes in their tinnitus that can make them prone to mood swings. These people still manage to find a way through it with determination and inner strength.

There are others that will accept nothing less than a complete cure and therefore, will find it difficult to habituate even if they had the best treatment in the world. My experience as a Tinnitus support contact, has involved talking to many people on the telephone and at tinnitus forums. Unfortunately, some of these people with their negative mindset unknowingly inflict their pessimism on others and this isn’t usually helpful.

Just as there are positive thinking people that are prepared to try and make a life with tinnitus, negative ones prefer to sit and do nothing and choose to feel sorry for themselves. I believe this is an unfortunate waste of time and energy. Some blame the world and every health professional and medical organisation for their misfortune in life and it can be difficult for them to change.

There is nothing wrong with being occasionally negative especially with a condition such as tinnitus. However, everything must be kept in balance, so one must try not to let negativity become all-consuming. My advice to anyone that visits tinnitus forums, just to post negative and vitriolic comments about their government and the medical profession for not finding a cure for tinnitus, is to please think before hand at what you are doing. Your messages are in the public domain and will be read by people that are seeking help and constructive advice on how to cope with this condition. Negative thinking never produces anything good. So ask yourself what have you achieved? Even if you are right it doesn’t make for a fulfilling life and it is possible with tinnitus. Perhaps it’s time to change your strategy to one of positivity.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Their is nothing positive in being negative.
      I have been through a very big struggle the past few months and would not wish it on anyone and emotionally brought me down to the depth of a place I never wanted to go to again.

I kept on fighting and still am.
      Back at work and laughing again and just trying sort my sleeping out with my fantastic caring doctor .

Life can be tough and tinnitus mental torture for some people and distressing but we have to build our life back up with lovely things and enjoy everything we can to balance out the tough times as the only way is up after being down .
      Positivity is the key to coping with tinnitus and medication can help if find you feel down most of the time and counselling can help also....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. snow47
      Cold

snow47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think pressure to jaw. I don't know.
      Sorry for reality.