Feeling Scared

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kirsty87, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Kirsty87
      Worried

Kirsty87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone,

I am new here having suffered a couple of very small periods of tinnitus over the past couple of years. I'm currently experiencing it now and this is the longest it has ever lasted and I'm so worried it won't stop.
      Admittedly, the ringing I'm experiencing in my right ear is very feint and I cannot hear it during the day unless I go somewhere very quiet. On the evenings at home I can hear it a lot more. It's by no means unbearable, but it's making me so anxious and scared.

On previous occasions, I have put olive oil in my ear and a couple of days later the ringing stopped which made me think that it was due to an ear wax build up. This time, although it seems to have become more dull since it started, it's still there ringing away quietly.

I'm just wondering how long I should wait until I see a doctor. There was no reason for it to start (no loud bangs etc) I was just sat at work at my desk when my ear felt funny and then it started. The inside of my ear does feel a little sore, but I think that might be due to me messing with it so much in the desperate hope something will stop it!

I'm also stupidly worried that if I go to the doctors they may poke and prod around with my ear and make it worse. Part of me wonders if it's an ear infection and perhaps it will go in a few days? I think I might give it until the weekend and if it's still there then I will book in to see a doctor. I am quite an anxious person and the 'not knowing' part is really making me scared and nervous :-(

2. Sandy B
      Inspired

Sandy B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/96
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing test set off
      Your hearing is so precious and please go to a doctor ASAP. Until then calming techniques you might try. Heat from a hair blow dryer or any heat source will comfort you. Humming your favorite song louder than the tinnitus releases endrophines, calming, and makes you feel much better.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kirsty87
      Worried

Kirsty87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you, Sandy. If it's continuing tomorrow I will call the Doctors and try and get in :-(

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I agree with Sandy. Go see a doctor asap to make sure nothing is bad inside the ears. Try to stay calm so your stress and anxiety level won't shoot up to aggravate T. If you need it, masking is a good way to stay calm when T rings. Here are some suggestions. Take good care & God bless.

1) Mask at bed time so you can sleep better. Find whatever sounds/music that are soothing to you. You can use a sound machine or sound pillow for this, or a computer with speakers.

2) If you need masking on the go, try load an ipad with nature sounds or music using itune, or use smart phone. You can also order some nature sounds via ‘itune’ to play on your PC.

3) If you have computer and speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds:

TT's audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: http://mynoise.net/

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kirsty87
      Worried

Kirsty87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the information Billie!

Last night, although I think it's feint, I was focussing so hard on it that it all of sudden seemed to be very loud. It's so frustrating as sometimes I can't tell whether it's my imagination or not. This morning I woke up and listened hard and I could hear nothing. Then when I drove to work and turned the engine off just as I was about to get out my car... there it was again :-(

We have an air purifier in our bedroom so I put that on the low setting last night and it enabled me to sleep well.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kirsty87
      Worried

Kirsty87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just an update...

A week of very feint ringing stopped at the beginning of last week. There have been moments where I think it's back, but I'm sure I must be imagining it.
      I woke up 2 nights ago with my ear ringing again and really began to panic. I switched on our air purifier again which masked the noise and enabled me to sleep. Thankfully in the morning it had gone.

I have been reading online a link between Aspartame and Tinnitus. Armed with this information (I would try anything to prevent this happening again - as I'm sure most people would) I am changing my diet and cutting out sweeteners.
      I have been wanting to change my diet for a long time. I eat relatively healthy anyway, but I have a friend who has acheieved amazing health benefits from the Paleo diet. I'm starting this today.

I still seem to get ringing in both ears daily that ends in about 30 seconds, but I believe that's fairly common. It just makes me panic when it starts!