Finally Got Some Sleep

Discussion in 'Support' started by Believin' Steven, May 11, 2017.

1. Believin' Steven
      Cowboy

Believin' Steven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prolonged use of in ear headphones during sleep
      After 6 days of no sleep I finally got some. And yes literally no sleep. I was starting to hallucinate and lose touch with reality.

Unfortunately I suffer from high frequency T so white noise does little for me other than offer some distraction. I went to my GP who prescribed some temazepam to help me nod off. Needless to say it worked well. I still had moments of panic and adrenaline rushes whilst trying to fall asleep but I got past that stage. I now feel a lot more centered and the anxiety has subsided.

I also had a massive random spike yesterday which has now subsided so that is comforting. Trying to take this one day at a time and get back to my life. Just keeping busy and enjoying the little things.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    2. RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      Hi Steve,

Wow, six days without sleeping.... That's extreme. Good to hear that you've finally slept. Sleep is so important!

I also have high frequency tinnitus (and low and mid and many other tones :p) and white noise does fortunately help masking the higher tones. Have you tried searching for other masking sounds?
      I used to have an app in which you could change the pitch of the masking sound, I fortunately do not remember the name (I don't need masking anymore, distraction is sufficient now).

You probably already know, but it's important to keep hearing the tinnitus fully, otherwise the brain will not get used to the sound. Thus set the masking volume below the volume of the T. However, in times of great distress, it of course cannot hurt to fully mask for some time.

Regarding your sleep: have you tried relaxation exercises? There are many guided meditation videos on youtube. It always helps me to become more relaxed and then falling asleep is suddenly a lot easier.

3. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Me2 2 days b4. It was like someone out of the blue pushed a button T went crazy. Lack of sleep can do such things.

4. Rosemerry
      Energetic

Rosemerry Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Steve
      I've been thinking about you. Love that you feel more centered and the anxiety has subsided. Hope you continue to feel better!! I'm following your advice to keep busy and enjoy the little things. Sleep is so vital, right? I finally got some last night after a challenging week and feel much better. My T is always louder when I don't sleep so it's good to stop that cycle! xoxo Rosemary

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Believin' Steven
      Cowboy

Believin' Steven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes it was fantastically low this morning. Unfortunately as the day droned on it started to get a little worse. It is bearable but I'm dreading trying to get to sleep. I'll give it my best shot though.

6. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Hope you get some sleep @Believin' Steven
      Work with your doctors to find the right medications.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Try the sounds of crickets...

8. Anthony13
      Pensive

Anthony13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Knowing my luck, an alien abduction
      Steve...now you know your tinnitus fluctuates. Just hold onto the thought that its level will decrease with some time. The unresolved anxiety regarding how we deal with our noises and what they mean to us, is probably what keeps us awake. And not the actual sound itself.

Great news that you have managed to get some healing sleep, and try to keep the momentum going. Attempt to make your noise emotionally neutral if you can; to lessen the impact it has on your life. You'll find your sleep pattern will return back to normal when you're ready...

Sleep well

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    9. Rosemerry
      Energetic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Yeah, mine did the same today - started out fine but it's been getting louder. I'm choosing to ignore it. I like Anthony's post to you so much! Viewing the noise as emotionally neutral - brilliant. PS Have you considered changing your member name to just Steve or something without the "Sufferer"? Words can be powerful and naming yourself as such could be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Good night!!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Believin' Steven
      Cowboy

Believin' Steven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I will actually do that right now if I figure out how to. And also more good news. I managed to sleep for another 8-9 hours. I even woke up and fell back asleep. The noise is still quite annoying but I'm trying to soldier on and keep my hopes high that I will get acclimated or overtime it gets less of an emotional response out of me. Thank you for your support and I hope you can conquer your ailment also! Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      Gold you got some sleep. Sleep is probably the single most important contributor to my T as well. When I first acquired T I slept for countless hours. This past year I barely sleep. Maybe 4 to 6 hours at best. I also wake up every 15 to 30 mins but fall back asleep. I'm going to see my doctor since I can't do this anymore. Probably take something low-dose to take the edge off.

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. Rosemerry
      Energetic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Woo hoo - love the name!! Also love the good report on the sleep - flippin awesome! I kinda did the same - it was there but still slept (without having to take a tiny piece of Xanax, yay). Looking forward to my busy day ahead - T usually fades into the background during the course of the day. Like me, I hope you find comfort in knowing you're not alone - I love this forum for that reason - and I'm right here soldiering on with you! xoxo Rosemary

• Hug Hug x 1