Fire Alarms at Work! Need to Vent

Discussion in 'Support' started by CrystalB, Sep 26, 2018.

1. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just wanting to vent a little this morning.

I work in a retail store, this morning I was having an okay morning, my tinnitus not bothering me as much and wasn’t as loud as it has been.

I’m going on with my morning and all of a sudden the loud fire alarms start going off!

I was near the front door stocking, so I took off running out the door, I stayed outside a few minutes decided to come back in as soon as I walked thru the door the alarm goes off again! Had to run back outside!

Came to find out they were testing the fire alarms, which I thought they were when they started going off but still, no warning, no page over the intercom of a warning, no nothing!

Not everyone has great hearing, some people have problems being sensitive with their ears, some have TINNITUS, they should at least warn people and associates when alarms are about to go off.

I hope and pray I don’t have to pay for this later.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Really hope you feel better, perhaps you can wear soft plugs at work and they will protect you in case a loud noise happens.

• Like Like x 1
    3. RinaRegina
      Sleepy

RinaRegina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Fire alarms went off in my dorm and I think the only option when there's unexpectedly loud sounds is to close your ears with your earlobe and try to put in ear plugs when convenient. I don't know why the alarms have to be so loud, I feel like moderate sound is good enough to let blind people know there's a fire and then do more flashing lights.

4. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      People are so casual about fire alarms. It's really stunning.

Such baffling things like standing around, staying inside, having no sense of urgency to leave.

There was also the time when my apartment complex sent out a notice for fire alarm testing and which buildings on what days. Mine was on a Friday but because the fire alarm testers got done early they did mine on a Thursday and obviously I wasn't prepared for it.

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I worked in a government building that had fire drills every 3 months. Those alarms were loud & shrilly. My boss knew I had tinnitus and got permission for me to be told of a pending drill before it took place. This allowed me time to leave the building beforehand. I thought that was nice of her to do that.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did this cause any further damage?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It didn’t cause anymore damage! I was so afraid it did. I’ve learned to carry my ear plugs with me just in case this happens again.

8. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Sorry to hear; your employer should be warning staff if they are carrying out fire alarm testing

On the other hand, if the test is done regularly on the same day each week/month, you know to have your ear plugs to hand...

Hope your T has died down