First Ever Stem Cells Trial Held to Cure Blindness

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Anonymous2929, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Hi guys,

Last month the first ever patient to have stem cells in an attempt to cure age-related blindness went ahead last month in the UK. The researchers are aiming to operate on 10 more patients the following 18 months. This is great news. We all know the barriers towards stem cells trials. Hopefully this will open the doors for stem cells to be used in deafness/hard-of-hearing people. I am happy as I have a cousin who was born completely blind in both eyes, this gives him hope...

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...ceives-stem-cell-treatment-to-cure-sight-loss

Hopefully Dr Marcelo Rivolta who has been researching stems cells for hearing loss must be happy. He has been researching stems cells for the past decade and has grown embryo cells in a dish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19570024

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      The ophtalmology field really is decades ahead of the otology field. Wow.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      One of Autifony researchers stated 10 days ago, that hearing problems are in the same position (of progress) as ophtalmology field was 12 years ago!

So, conclusion can be that this is gonna be possible in hearing disorders in next 15 years...

4. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Maybe, maybe not. It's the human body they are researching in both. So it is possible that advancements in one are applicable in the other.

The Otology field can piggy-back on the ophthalmology findings.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Well I have just quoted one of researchers statement. My hopes are that it that it is gonna be earlier...

This news gives some optimism, and supports your opinion http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...y-from-the-hough-ear-institute-300150403.html

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anonymous2929

Anonymous2929 Guest

I think the main barriers was stem cells and gene therapy was in the the last decade but they slowly opening up. We all know what happened in the USA when the FDA was not supporting stem cells especially from embryonic cells. Still that did not stop researchers doing their work.

I believe the work has always been there but has been held back by the medical bodies such as the FDA in the USA and the MRC in the UK. We have lost more than a decade in terms of trials and possible therapies.

With hearing restoration, the main barrier was how to get into the inner ear and the delivery of the drug.

The current Novartis gene therapy trial proves they can reach the inner ear through the round window. Of course, ear surgeries are a lot more complicated but there have been advancements.

I firmly believe (in the UK), the main man is Dr Marcelo Rivolta.

These medical boards should wake up and realise the potential of these current research. In the UK, a huge amount is wasted in useless procedures such as breast jobs, nose jobs, tummy tucks etc. The current benefit system is hitting deaf/hard of hearing people hard such as only offering one hearing aid, no sign language support for appointments, the cut-backs in hearing dogs etc. Let these research flourish and become a reality. If a deaf person or a hard of hearing person can understand speech better and do better jobs. They be helping the state more with their contributions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. JabbingJab
      Supportive

JabbingJab Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      I love reading these types of findings. I really hope an Einstein of this generation comes along and advance the stem cell therapy much faster so a cure for blindness, hearing loss, and any sensory functions can be returned to those who lack them. I think this will also cure tinnitus as a byproduct.

8. Kate Winstol
      Sporty

Kate Winstol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I am afraid that such thinking is very much wishful thinking.

9. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I am quite sure that 20 years from now, 2035, regeneration of hair cells will be possible. That is time needed not only for researchers to develop that procedure to success, but also hearing aids companies to diversified their business and invest capital in some similar (but for sure not same field).
      In fact my opinion is that hearing aids business is main reason why regeneration is not gonna be possible treatment in 2025.

10. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      Don't bother arguing with Kate, as her mind is made up. I'll say it again, my father is alive today because of laser ablation technology that didn't exist 5 years ago. Also, a new chemo solution that came out just this year, knocked out a stage 3 tumor in his lung in just a handful of treatments. Obviously cancer ranks higher on pharma's list of importance than T, but don't underestimate what technologies will be available to us in coming years.

• Like Like x 3
    11. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      That's what happens when someone has had tinnitus since 1902...

upload_2015-10-30_14-54-8.png

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Kate Winstol
      Sporty

Kate Winstol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dont understand me wrong i would also like to see people getting a quick relief from the thing they think bothers them but we are not there yet and it will not come in any near future. Save yourself time and go buy a hearing aid

13. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      At her incredibly advanced years, I'm surprised she can even write, let alone hear at all! };-)

14. earsnothappy

earsnothappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      This is because she has secretly undergone stem cell treatments for life extension.

All that aside, I'll take any progress over no progress. I wish there was more money in this field to attract more research and development!