First Post — Noise Induced Tinnitus, 3 Months In

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by GastonFla, Jul 19, 2019.

1. GastonFla
      Musical

GastonFla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock (Headphones)
      Hi all! My name is Gastón, I just want to introduce my story. I’m from Argentina, so English isn’t my native language…sorry for the writing mistakes!

About 3 and a half months ago I got tinnitus and mild hyperacusis due to an acoustic trauma/shock caused by a high frecuency noise in headphones (a microphone coupling). :dohanimation:

As for all, the first weeks were the worst, I’m feeling better now but I still don’t feel able to write this in success stories.

I consider that I still have two big problems, for which I would like to receive some advice:

1) The obsession. Beyond the fact that tinnitus itself is less invasive now and that I achieve to control anxiety, I feel that it still continues occupying too much time of my days. (googling, investigating, forums, talking about it, etc.)

2) The fear that loud noises will make it worse. I feel that I have a very mild hyperacusis, for example I am disturbed by the noise of the cutlery and I have a constant pain that seems to come from inside the ear. Sometimes I think it's because of my jaw that is not good either, I have bruxism. Is it "normal" to continue feeling pain after all this time?
      Next week I have an important event that I should assist, it's in a bar where a band will play and I really don’t know what to do. :(

Here are some of the things that I did and still do that I consider that helped me, although I think it's nothing new in this forum:

- Yoga
      - Meditation
      - Healthy diet (avoid as much as possible sugar, preservatives, soft drinks). About coffee and alcohol, I didn’t notice significant differences. I also drink a lot of water and eat a lot of nuts and almonds
      - Sleep well
      - Osteopathy
      - Psychologist
      - Exercise
      - Be busy, but it is important that you do things that you really like to
      - I am also taking two medications indicated by the ENT with which I attended, which is supossed to be one of the bests in Argentina. He indicated a 4 month treatment, after one and a half and I have not noticed any great improvements. The treatment consists mainly of vitamins (A, B6 and E)

Any advice to take that last step to habituation will be useful for me. I think I still have to completely accept that there’s no cure, but convince myself that this suffering will end at some point.

Thanks for reading and again sorry for the typing errors! :thankyousign:

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That's a great sign. It should continue to fade.

All you can do, is wait. Those whose T is loud, often take 18-24 months to habituate. When T is quiet (but is still loud enough to be audible for most of the day) it still takes about a year to begin experiencing habituation.
      That should eventually go away, but until it does it makes sense to be easy on your ears and to avoid noises that don't feel right.
      It's ok to be afraid of scary things that have the potential to make your body uninhabitable. If this fear motivates you to act in such a way as to reduce the probability that your T will get louder, then that's a good outcome.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Yes, loud noises will make this worse. Be sure to avoid and protect.

Your call about the upcoming event, and the only safe answer is to skip it. I'd you decide to go, bring earplugs, and be sure to take frequent breaks. There is also no harm in leaving early, or walking out to the vestibule when the music fires up. If you go through these forums, there are tons of stories of folks who went to such an event, even with protection, and made their T much worse.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The ear pain can be caused by noise damage, don't assume bruxism when you know it began right after an acoustic trauma. See an ENT that is familiar with "noise induced pain" Avoid loud noises at all cost.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GastonFla
      Musical

GastonFla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your answers @Bill Bauer !

Do you think it's real that going to a bar to see a band for one or two hours can make things worse? Or do you think it is something psychological? Like the fear of it getting worse can "make it worse".
      I wouldn't like to never go to see a band again. :(

I want to add that I have two friends with t, both musicians ... according to them you suffer a lot during the first months, but then nothing happens ... both of them are still playing with their bands as if nothing had happened.
      I hope at some point being able to go back to a bar or some other noisy place without being worried about this.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Let me preface this by saying that I am not a doctor. However, I have been reading this forum over the past 29 months. It is my understanding that going to a loud bar shouldn't lead to hearing loss (unless the noise at the bar is loud enough to cause hearing loss for the healthy people). However, for Some of the T sufferers, something like that is enough to cause a temporary spike (which would seem to imply that this noise exposure hasn't promoted healing). Some might even get a Permanent tinnitus spike (a change in frequency to a frequency that is harder to ignore or an increase in volume). Others might be ok for several years and Then get a permanent spike.
      Check out
      I can see how one's psychological reaction could result in a spike lasting a couple of days. However, I can't imagine it causing a Permanent spike. It is unusual for a spike to be permanent, but it certainly not rare. This seems to point to the damage being real (and not psychological).

I agree with:

Another thing to keep in mind is that hearing protection can provide a false sense of security:

Another experience that is similar to what you had in mind (seeing a band at a bar):
      To help yourself to not feel bad about not going to that bar, check out
      the posts that I quoted in the post below:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/learn-from-others-mistakes.29437/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Some people eventually return to louder things than others, and some people have more or less trouble as a result -- but I think it's pretty basic common sense to avoid all loud sounds for some significant period of time (months) after a trauma / tinnitus onset or increase, to give yourself the best chance at healing as much as possible. One event at a bar might or might not be a problem; I've been at events at bars that are 72db and events at bars that are 100+db. You just have to make your best decision; take earplugs if you go.

An ACL injury may or may not permanently end your volleyball career, but it would be madness to try to go play on a recently injured ACL, right? Same idea

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Riz23

Riz23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and headphones

Hi there, it was comforting coming across your post because I feel like I’m in the exact same position as you. I got tinnitus just over 2 months ago!

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GastonFla
      Musical

GastonFla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First of all, thanks again @Bill Bauer for all the information and for taking your time to help other people on the forum. :thankyousign:

It sounds quite logical, and I think the comparison is very coherent. With the difference that in this case, they are injuries that we don't really know how long they take to heal or if they really will.
      On the other hand, I think it can also be psychologically negative to stop doing things that one enjoyed because of the t, it would be a bit like "being defeated" by it.

Hi, I am very sorry that you are also in this position, but I agree that it is very comforting to know that we are not alone!
      Any question you can write me and if you want you can also tell me how your evolution is coming and if you tried some kind of treatment! ;)

Despite all the information, I still haven't decided if i will or not attend to that bar.
      If I decide to go I will tell you if there was any change in my symptoms.
      Once again, thank you all for answering! :D

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      A good analogy I came up with today goes as follows: exposing yourself to noise is like taking a risk and riding a motorcycle - in both cases the consequences can last a lifetime (ending up in a wheelchair when all one wanted was to get a short ride on a motorcycle). Too bad that with tinnitus it is difficult to estimate the probability of getting a permanent spike as a function of the dB of the noise one is exposed to.
      Please do.

• Like Like x 1
    11. winstona
      Balanced

winstona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure and excessive ear irrigation
      Hi Gaston,

Welcome to the forum! I believe you are already in a good position to recovery because of your metal awareness of this condition and the willingness to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

A lot of tinnitus sufferers eventually have their tinnitus fade away in time and improvements are seen in 6-9 months. From the sound of it, your tinnitus is becoming less invasive already. I am not saying everyone will get there but there are many cases where people find relieve in time.

It's hard to not think about Tinnitus on a day to day basis to be honest but I can assure you, after a while you will learn to live with it and the time you spend thinking about Tinnitus will decrease more and more. A lot of people have said that you should minimize your time with researching the condition and coming to the forum to talk about it. The sooner you cut off these activities, the sooner you can forget about it. It's up to you. I personally do not do that though.

Our ears are very sensitive and heals slowly. You are right to be vigilant against exposure to loud noises because exposure to loud noises can hinder your recovery. I would stay away from loud concerts, loud movies, listening to music via headphones/earphones and concerts in general for the first 6 to 9 months. Eventually when the ears recover enough, you can do those activities again (sometimes with ear protection of course) so don't rush it now when you are new to this condition.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GastonFla
      Musical

GastonFla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your positive words @winstona!!
      Today I'm having a good day with my t :)

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GastonFla
      Musical

GastonFla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello again, in the last days my t is coming very well, but I'm having "pain" or a feeling of full ear.
      The jaw makes noises when I move it, and also if I move like inside the ear something "cracks". Can acoustic trauma trigger TMD? How can I really know the cause of the symptoms?
      Thanks!

14. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The smallest bones in the human body are in the middle ear. I wonder if they can break?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GastonFla
      Musical

GastonFla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello, after more than 7 months since my acoustic trauma, I am better but still suffering. There are times when I feel that everything returns to normal but at other times (like right now, that's why I'm writing this here) I can't stop thinking about this little problem.

What makes me keep thinking and researching about tinnitus is to continue feeling physical pain, which I cannot explain. I understand that the noise may never go away, but I feel that perhaps I have other problem that can be resolved or improved with respect to the pressure in the ear or that feeling of pain, and that perhaps the doctors I saw could not detect it.

Many times I feel like I have the eardrum "stuck" to the face or ear, sometimes it hurts, sometimes it itches ... I also hear the T louder when I yawn.

Finally, my jaw also makes noise when I move it. I have bruxism, but it got much worse with this situation because of stress, and I understand that it could be affecting tinnitus.
      I'm now trying with some magnesium and zinc pills, to see if they have any effect.

Any ideas or recommendations are welcome. Thank you! :D