First Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by Robert44, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      Well I've had this dam thing since April and I was really doing much better. I've had a cold or allergies this week and I got my first spike. Worried that it won't go back to base. What have your experiences been with this. Thanks. down and depressed.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Robert,
      Try stay calm and do what you can to not focus on it and have sound on around you.
      Give it a few days and should settle back down after your cold or allergies .
      Try steam inhalation and towel and bowl of hot water to unblock your tubes .
      Tinnitus increase sounds better than a spike so try not to worry as stress and anxiety will add to the increase in tinnitus.
      Be kind to yourself with some nice treats to keep your mood up and you will soon get through the tinnitus sound increase and feel positive you know if it happens again you got through it....take care...lots of love Glynis

3. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      @Robert44 I've had T since 2003. Was very mild for many years. about 5 months ago I had a spike that has never returned to base. I have a lot of issues with my sinuses and Eustachian tube. not sure at this point that mine is ever going back. so I just try and get used to this new level and move on with my life. if it ever returns to where it was years ago, that's a huge bonus for me. but I doubt that will happen at this point.

4. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      @Robert44 neti-potting or sinus washes can also help to clear out your sinuses and ears and might give you some relief.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robert44

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      thanks for your replies... appreciate it. hope it goes back to base level. I will try the steam and towel etc... one loud concert... changed my life

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Hi Robert, constant hi-pitched T for 6 months here (initially brought on by a cold that lead to a sinus infection). Had my first cold since then (started about a week ago). I spiked on the second day, and 3 days later j returned to baseline. I tried to stay calm and not panic just like everyone here says to do. I just met telling myself that it made sense - T seems louder when you wear hearing protection, so if your sinuses are a bit bunged up, including your ears, you will perceive the T as louder also.

I know it's almost impossible advice to heed but TRY and stay calm. Stress is a MAJOR T activator, and by obsessing and stressing over it, it will turn into a vicious cycle which feeds on itself. Good luck and be well.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robert44

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      @glynis @MidnightOilAudio
      Hi I should have been more specific ... not only is my T louder but I have a new ring on the same right side. This has happened since I got sick. The thing that scares me is that I'm starting to feel better but I still have that new ring. It's not constant sound it kind of goes in and out over and over again. I know this new sound is related to getting sick but it's taking so long to go away.
      This is true what you say Glynis... But I hear stories where the new sound never goes away. I'm getting that sinking feeling in my chest because of this stress. Terrible feeling. I was really doing better now this happened. Thanks, for reading this....

8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Robert,
      Does it feel like a pulse ?...

Lots of love glynis

9. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      If you broke your arm, and it had to be in a cast for 2 months, would you say it's "taking forever to heal"? No, because that's a normal timeline for a broken arm. There is no normal timeline for T, though. Give it time (easy for me to say, I know).

You see postings of horror stories online where the person says a new sound has appeared and not gone away by whatever time that person has posted. Sometimes they never check back in. Who knows, it may have taken 6 months and gone away, but they never came back to post. The internet is a wonderful place for us T sufferers to be able to talk, but also a TERRIBLE place if you're anxiety prone. Take care.

• Hug Hug x 1