First time poster, long time stalker

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jeweleeanne, Aug 13, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. Jeweleeanne

Jeweleeanne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      I’ve been stalking the various tinnitus boards here on and off for about 8 months now. I am a 29 year old work-at-home mom. My T started in October of 2012, but it was so faint it barely bothered me. I could only hear it when it was absolutely silent, which is extremely rare with a 3 and 4 year old running around my house. Then, right after Christmas I managed to get the flu followed by pneumonia. I was prescribed Azithromycin, and suddenly on December 31, 2012, my tinnitus spiked, particularly in my right ear. (My T now sounds like multiple high-pitched tones that vary depending on factors I haven’t quite pinned down yet) After that, I lost my mind. I was desperately hoping it would go back to the volume it was before New Year's Eve, but it never did. I let it consume my life for at least 3 months. Too depressed to even post here, I took care of my family and did my job, but was just going through the motions while inside I was going crazy.
      I saw the ENT in mid-January, and found out I had mild high frequency hearing loss, he told me it was most likely noise-induced. I believed him, but I still didn't think the tinnitus came as a result of loud music or noise, because I hadn't been in a loud situation or concert since at least 6 months prior. It doesn't make much sense that I'd get noise-induced tinnitus 6 months after the event. I believed I may have had the hearing loss for years (I was a big concert-goer in my early 20s) or that the hearing loss was a result of the antibiotic. I also had clogged eustachian tubes from being sick. He prescribed me a nasal spray and a steroid pack and sent me on my way. I had a follow-up appointment scheduled for 6 weeks later, and during those 6 weeks, I chewed a ton of gum and constantly popped my ears trying to clear them. My ears still felt stuffy and actually felt sore and achey. 6 weeks later at my follow-up appointment, my ears were clear, but the ringing was still as loud as ever. He told me my ears were "perfectly healthy". For a normal person, this would probably be a relieving diagnosis. For me, it was even more distressing because my ears still rang, they were still stuffy, although apparently clear of fluid, and they still ached. When I told the dr. this, he then suggested I may possibly have TMJ.
      Since then, I have learned (mostly through internet research and self-diagnosis) that I have been clenching and grinding my teeth for probably years, both while asleep and awake. I had no clue that my teeth are not supposed to touch each other unless I am chewing. And when I thought back, I realized I’ve been having symptoms for years that I’d been ignoring (migraines, restless sleep, waking up with a sore jaw as well as sore jaw after eating, back and neck aches), and it wasn’t until my ears starting ringing that I actually put the puzzle together. I am still a bit saddened that I didn’t figure this out before T started because this is by far the hardest symptom to deal with, at least I’m able to control the others.
      I got an appliance for bruxism and have been using it for about a month, this has helped so much with sleep and headaches/jawaches, but the one thing that still remains constant is the T.
      I’ve been getting better at ignoring it, but sometimes, when my anxiety flares up, I get into the cycle and it gets very hard to get back out. It makes me think a lot about my own mortality, and the fact that one day I am going to die. I start to freak out because I am only 29, so what will happen to the T as I age and I lose hearing due to old age, will it get worse and more obnoxious? On my worst days, days that the T is extremely loud and I have a migraine or jaw inflammation, I worry about dealing with this the rest of my life and if I will ever be happy again. Sometimes I convince myself I have a brain tumor and only have a few years left to live. Anytime I mention that to my family, they laugh at me and tell me I’m a hypochondriac. On the good days, I forget all about it, and even when I do hear it, it doesn’t bug me. I try the best I can to live in the moment and not think too much about what is going to happen in the future, although I can’t help but wonder when I will be able to just accept it and not perceive it as a threat. Until then, I try my best to implement the “fake it til you make it” policy, and try to go on with my regular activities, try not to complain too much, try to keep myself as busy as I can and enjoy my life, family and wonderful kids that are already growing up too fast!

• Like Like x 2
    2. Chicken

Chicken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      try to remain calm. I went thru the same thing you are going thru back in October 2011. I had TMJ for a long time which I didn't know I had either. But, six months before the T started I had severe clicking and jaw deviation to the right side. I went to a neuromuscular dentist and after wearing a customized orthotic for 1 year all day long, the clicking and deviation stopped. But, the T remained of course. It's better but it's still there. I learned to do all my daily things--work, exercise extensively and eat anything I want. I'm older than you, but like I had a hearing test two years ago and my hearing was fine. So, hang in there, hopefully things will get better.

3. Jeweleeanne

Jeweleeanne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Chicken thanks for the support. How much do you think your T has improved since getting the orthotic? I've been considering getting one as well, but the night appliance has actually helped quite a bit with the TMJ symptoms. It would probably be quite a reach to expect that an orthotic would make my tinnitus go away, since the night guard is helping so much with all of my other symptoms. I can't help but dream about the possibility though..

4. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Hey J, welcome to the forums :)

I'm also 29 and i have tinnitus. I thought mine was due to TMJ at one point but the dentist i saw told me TMJ tinnitus is not constant (i don't know what to think of it), is your tinnitus constant ? or does it ring in sync with your jaw movement ?

5. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey Jeweleeanne,

As chicken suggested, try to remain calm. You will settle into a "baseline" most likely after a little while. Try to avoid things that trigger your tinnitus. If you clench your teeth at night when you sleep, maybe you could get a mouth guard to help alleviate that.

Don't get caught up in the worry of "is this just going to get worse over my lifetime?". Questions like that are really not helpful and make you a lot more worried. I have had tinnitus since I was 17, and I'm 27 now. The only times it has ever gotten worse have been when I have subjected myself to loud sound without protection. I would assume that the same might hold true for you. Of course, avoid any ototoxic medications if you can. If that means discussing antibiotics in the future with your doctor that are not ototoxic, that would be a good route. Try to avoid ibuprofen and aspirin as much as possible. Some say that having too much caffeine or nicotine can set their tinnitus off too. In my case, as I said above, the only thing that has ever affected me has been loud sound.

You might want to try a good biolipoflavanoid supplement product as well. They are supposed to help reduce the free radical species that cause oxidation within the inner ear, which will help slow the aging process of your auditory system in general.

Every time I have been bothered by my tinnitus I have thought there was no way I could ever habituate to it. Every time I have been wrong. I've had it for nearly 10 years now, and I am still going strong. Keep fighting the good fight! You're young still, and there will most likely be treatments for tinnitus and hearing disorders within the not so distant future anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Jeweleeanne

Jeweleeanne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      James White - My tinnitus IS constant, but it does fluctuate with my jaw movement, inflammation, eye movement, etc. I can tell if I've been clenching all night because I wake up with a sore jaw and blaring T. Even with my night guard, clenching is still an issue because the night guard just redirects the pressure to the front of my mouth. I've been listening to a bruxism relief mp3 before bed that really seems to help. But if your dentist is right, then my T must have a baseline ring and fluctuation on top of it :/

Hudson - thank you for your support.. it helps to speak to someone of similar age with T.. and you've had it for much longer than I have. I assume that once I understand better what triggers it to worsen, I will be able to accept it better. I was worried after the initial spike that it was going to continue to get worse at the same rate (it was about 2 months between onset and the first spike), but now it has been 8 months since the initial spike so my nerves have calmed a bit about it continuing to get worse! I just need to learn to stop wishing it away! I am going to look into biolipoflavanoid. That is probably the only supplement I haven't tried because so many people have told me it doesn't work unless you have Meniere's, which I'm pretty sure I dont have..

7. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hi and welcome Jeweleeanne....You are on the right track! Tinnitus is shocking, disturbing and life-changing all at once, especially in the first year --but you do get better. It just takes time. Don't worry about it getting worse right now. It may but it also may not. You can't continue to worry about something that may not even happen and something you have no control over. Continue to work with your dentist. You are doing the right things by keeping busy and carrying on with your life as usual. That is the most important. It helps pass the time and time is your friend as it gets easier to cope with in time. Then you begin to see that you can have a normal life again and T will at that point be a minor annoyance. Keep the faith. There has never been as much T research as there is today and I believe there will be effective treatments and/or cure in the near future.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Jeweleeanne

Jeweleeanne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Thanks erik! I certainly hope you a right! I'm glad I finally posted on here; it's nice to have the support. I have a few family members with T but I try not to talk to them about it because when I bring it up, then theirs starts to bother them. The family members without T (particularly my DH) get tired of hearing about it.. So it's good to have support of people who don't mind talking about it!

9. Chicken

Chicken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      The difference between a night guard and a customized orthotic is that it will eventually realign your jaw to a proper place and relax the jaw and facial muscles. Your doctor is not right when he says that T from TMJ is not constant, it certainly may be considering how bad the TMJ is or how much it worsened over time. I'm not certain if the T will ever go away even with the orthotic but it's worth a shot. I still wear it once or twice a week at night and whenever I work out which is everyday. Not sure where you live but a neuromuscular dentist might be an option, especially if you know your T isn't noise induced.

10. Jeweleeanne

Jeweleeanne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Well to be honest, I'm not exactly certain of the cause at all. I do know it got louder when I was on antibiotics.. it may be a coincidence, but I wonder if I didn't lose some of my hearing thanks to the meds. I'd love to think that it's just my jaw causing the noise, but I don't want to get my hopes too high.

I did notice a strange thing the other day about my hearing though. My little nephew had a dog whistle app on his ipod, and we were listening to different frequencies on the app. There were high frequencies that everyone except me could hear (sigh). But at one particular frequency, I could hear it in my left ear, but only when it was about an inch away from my ear. If I got it any closer or farther away than that, I couldn't hear it. I thought that was so strange, and I wonder if its because my jaw is somehow impeding my hearing? My left ear is the quieter of the two....

11. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      Any antibiotic ending in mycin is ototoxic...

12. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Halo I am jes I had the same pattern,the noice is the corse and the flu the trigger.I had a flu one and a half year ago
      and the tinnitus dominates my life.I live in wedel with my second famely.3 smal boyes its a disaster.I had a fantastic
      life before and a little t for 17 years.I didnt know a flu could do that.Always looking for a cure.

13. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      That doesn't happen to everyone. Well, it does if you spend your time on rock concerts, but other than that, it´s something genetic. See http://www.healthcanal.com/genetics...essive-Hearing-Loss-from-Noise-and-Aging.html Maybe someday https://www.23andme.com/ will add that diagnostic.

haha to cough and think you have cancer is very common, you are not alone there. Keep yourself busy, exercise works wonders in many aspects, with bruxism too (which I also have). I was clueless about bruxism btw, I thought I had a bad tooth or something. Wearing a retainer is a life saver (or a jaw joint saver at least!).

• Like Like x 1
    14. Jade
      Lucky

Jade Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetics, Beats by Dre, Work
      Hi @Jeweleeanne

I am also 29 and a mum of 2 beautiful girlie whirls :D
      I have had T for a long time but chronic/ constant T for a little over a month now & I also have jaw clicking however I don't clench or grind I guess I'm just lucky. I freak out like yourself thinking about my mortality and how the hell am I going to be calm and cool on the outside when I'm with my children and family when inside I'm in turmoil and my belly is in knots of doubt and worry. I have panic attacks when I get T spikes for an extended period of time and I have panic attacks when I hear a loud high pitched sound thinking OMG is that my new fate!! but thank goodness it is something external however most of all I worry if this gets worst how am I going to cope? But I cant think like that I did for 24hrs a day 7 days a week for the first month and it was so destructive, not good for my kids, not good for my hubby, career damaging and not good for number 1...Me. I hope to god or whoever is up there that they do find a cure in our lifetime, we certainly have a lot better chance then past generations to have a cure found in our lifetime.

Keep us posted

• Like Like x 2
    15. Jeweleeanne

Jeweleeanne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      @Jade so nice to meet you, glad to know we're in the same boat! Not that I wish tinnitus on anyone, but we have a lot of similarities, its good to know I'm not alone! Sorry I didn't respond sooner!

I just had an episode last night, I woke up and my "good" ear had a new, deeper tone and my hearing was compromised. I completely freaked out and went to the ER. They, of course, looked at me like I was insane. Laughing at me in the hallways and whatnot. (Must be fun to be an ER dr. and make fun of patients who they think our hypochondriacs). They told me it was allergies and sent me on my way. I do have to say the tone has gotten better since I woke up 3 hours ago in a panic, but I can still hear it when my kids are talking. It's sounds like someone is pushing a button with that tone every time someone talks. sigh. I feel like my ears play tricks on me and the dr.s always tell me there's nothing wrong with my ears? Is it seriously just anxiety? Because I went to bed last night in a great mood... stress free, and wake up at 4:30 am with a new ringing. Just doesn't seem logical. :(

16. Jeweleeanne

Jeweleeanne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      I just feel like I can't catch a damn break... as soon as I start accepting and getting used to whats going on, something new pops up :( At least this is less annoying than the first spike. crossing fingers it just goes away on its own.. since the drs all think I'm crazy.

17. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jewleeanne, wow I can identify with everything you said..anxiety, treatment at ER.
      Was telling my husband that I feel like my brain isn't working right..kind of walking around with deja vu in the background..told me "to get a grip":(

• Like Like x 1
    18. Jeweleeanne

Jeweleeanne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Leah I think that the hardest part is not having a source of support. My husband is the same way, like "get over it". I have to say I have gotten so much better since my first spike. I've also noticed that getting regular adjustments from the chiro on my neck help a lot with the anxiety and I feel like my T is lower the first few days afterwards.

19. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Maybe have your husband watch this:

• Like Like x 2
    20. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks that is great! Will show him as well as other friends and family members. Gives me hope on learning to accept T instead of responding with panic. Markuu if you were closer I would hug you:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    21. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Just found this older posting. If I would show my wife this video, she would punch me.
      Since my T started and since talking about T, she also hears a tone in her ears.
      It took 6 years for this guy. I cannot imagine living 6 years with this.
      But maybe seeing this different once habituation steps in.
      The video would be interesting for others.
      The T sound is btw more or less the same that I hear.

22. DanielJP
      Curious

DanielJP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Martin, I can't even watch the movie without my ears hurting. I can definitely show this movie to some of the people around me. Thanks for sharing. I really hope habituation sets in soon for you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. Willie
      Fine

Willie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/20/2010
      Really enjoyed that video, I loved it in fact. Thanks so much for sharing this!