Flight Attendants?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mattw89, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Mattw89

Mattw89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear problems since child, used to be a flight attendant...
      Another night wondering why I have to put up with this sh*t and got to thinking, I was a flight attendant for 18 months in 2008-2009.

During my time with easyJet I perforated an eardrum and have suffered with ear infections when a child, looking back now I must have had the sense of post 10 rounds with Tyson when applying for that job with my ear history.

Anyway, are there any other current or ex flight attendants on here?

It would make a hell of a lot of sense to link the two due to the change in pressure near daily, it wouldn’t have helped anyway, that’s for sure!

2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not me, but I have wondered how frequent tinnitus and hearing loss is for flight attendants. It's not just the changes in pressure, but the noise levels every day adds up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I know a couple people who were flight attendants. No tinnitus, no hearing loss. If incidences of hearing damage were significantly more common for flight attendants than the rest of the population, I’d think there would be some data on that. Or that flight attendant trade unions would demand changes. I found only a couple articles, but no specific data.

Editing to add: I believe 747s are being phased out and I read their replacements are supposedly quieter.

4. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Well it's mainly lower than 85 dB.

5. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
    6. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      That's close, but often they have flights of only a couple hours, also some days off.
      But if they combine it with going out and so on it could be too much. I suspect only after x years though.

7. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I don't know how it works on their side, but I guess some of them frequently fly during 12+ hours non stop. I think the limit is exceeded for every of those flights (and they seem to never wear ear protection). How many occurences of this is needed for ear damage? I don't know.. :dunno:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    8. RosaCM

RosaCM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure,stress...
      Hello, I would like to know if there is somebody who work as a cabin crew and has tinnitus.
      I have tinnitus since 2014; more than 4 years, sometimes I feel better but there are moments when it gets worse and worse.
      I am having an interview to work as a cabin crew this week, and not sure what to do,
      Thanks!!!

9. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Do loud sounds have an effect on your tinnitus? You will probably be subject to quite loud noise almost everyday for several hours if you work as a flight attendant. I think you should be fine if you wear earplugs though.