Fluctuating Tinnitus and the Impact of Certain Foods?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jaybeee, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Jaybeee
      Wishful

Jaybeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety?
      Hi folks. Do you have days where you cannot hear your T because it fluctuates. I'm new to this T and am terrified of spikes because of something I might eat. Consequently my diet is pretty limited at the moment whilst I take time to get used to T.

Question - if you experience spikes because of certain foods, would those spikes still occur on a day where T is silent?

Thanks for helping a struggling newbie xx

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Jaybeee
      I have fluctuating tinnitus but that is the way it has become since 2008. It ranges from complete silence, mild, moderate and severe. No longer does it reach very severe levels of intensity. However, I believe your tinnitus isn't quite the same thing although it might seems so. Tinnitus does fluctuate quite a lot in the early stages of the condtion as you are experiencing. Believe or not that's quite a good thing as it's likely to reduce in time to a very low level or go away completly.
      I have written a post on Food, drink and tinnitus. You can access it by clicking on my Avatar and choosing "started threads". Unless you were sensitive to certain foods and drink before the onset of your tinnitus, I advise you to eat normaly as before and not to ommit anything. All you're likely to accomplish is to be more stressful and miserable. Tinnitus is enough to contend without adding more stress. Please read the post.
      All the best
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jaybeee
      Wishful

Jaybeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety?
      @Michael Leigh thanks Michael for your response. I know you decided early in not to deny yourself foods as it was only causing you more suffering, and I couldn't agree more. I'd love a bar of chocolate and a huge glass of white wine. But I had a spike early on that I put down to a handful of raisins. Seems they are very high in sugar which is why I linked them. I am still very scared of what is happening to me and yes I know I am being over cautious, but I just need more time to get used to T. But I like your thought that my T might actually go away! I may get to eat chocolate and drink copious amounts of wine again one day! Xxx

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand how you feel @Jaybeee and you must do what you feel is best. However, I don't think the rasins or chocolate have anything to do with the spike in your tinnitus. However, I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time. It might help by telling you that I have chocolate and wine too much on occasions (lol) and doesn't bother my tinnitus at all and I have severe tinnitus. Hopefully you'll be able to resume them soon.
      Take care
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
    5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Hi Jaybeee, personally I wouldn't restrict your diet. You should generally try and eat healthy anyway, but don't get obsessed over what you eat. In my experience, when T fluctuates it will fluctuate no matter what. There is often no rhyme or reason to it. The amount of attention you are putting into this is doing you no good, and I'll add that I did all the same things you are doing.

I'd say sleep is the most important factor when it comes to fluctuating T, but even then it's still got a random element to it. Try not to get obsessed. Right now you're in full 'fight or flight' mode and you need to get yourself out of it. Try to do more non tinnitus related activities, and deprioritise its importance to your brain. The less you react emotionally the better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Jaybeee,
      I say anything in moderation .
      I bit of what you like is better than none at all...
      The odd glass of wine is relaxing but if you have low mood then drink can add to it the next day but nice at the time when drinking it.
      If you have TMJ then keeping off tough meat or chewy things and over biting on apples or a burger etc ....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jaybeee
      Wishful

Jaybeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety?
      Thanks for your responses. I'd still be interested to hear from those who have non-t days and if they find their usually spikey foods don't have an effect on non-t days?