Fluid in Ears, Humming Tinnitus, Worried... Again!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Will89, May 1, 2018.

1. Will89

Will89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all,

Over the past week, I have experienced a sense of fullness/underwater sensation, feelings of clogged ears and sometimes feels a little wet?

I've been to the docs and she has said I have fluid behind the eardrum and my left ear is looking a little sore.

The doc has prescribed me a spray for the soreness and says the liquid feeling should disappear.

My left ear has developed a humming sound and still feels very dull - I'm hoping this will go when it clears?!

I say again in the title, as this has actually happened before, but I'm sure the humming wasn't to this level.

I also have T in the right ear, which helps... haha.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Sounds like you’ve got ETD, or maybe a bit of a middle ear infection. It should clear up, but ETD can take a while. You could try breathing in steam and/or doing a nasal rinse to help things along. Do you have any allergies? They can trigger ETD, so if you do take some antihistamines, and if bad enough, look into a steroid nasal spray.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Will89

Will89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the reply.
      I have been trying decongestant nasal sprays and taking Sudafed Sinus, but it is taking a while.
      Haven't tried inhaling steam, I'll try that tonight.

As for allergies - I've had symptoms of what I've got now of varying degrees.... I'm not allergic to anything, that I know of, but something is triggering it!

4. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @Will89
      I have the low Hum on and off ...My ENT said it could be related to fluid retention so I have been on a very low salt diet and I guess its working because the low hum is not as loud as it has been in the past.

Stay Strong

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Will89

Will89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The underwater type sound appears to have gone, but my left ear is still feeling little dull.

But the humming sound seems to come and go and then die down a bit.

However, I've woken up this morning with the him quite loud and a dull sensation in the ear..

Guess I've still got a quite a while to go yet :cry:

6. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @Will89 Hang in there Will things will get better for you man

Stay Strong

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Will89

Will89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Carlos1 Thanks bud, just got to try and ride it out.

Is it slightly odd to prefer to hear my existing T in the other ear, over the new hum in the right ear?

Maybe because I'm used to it!

8. Rafaa

Rafaa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows? I have Patulous ET and ETD + Other things
      This is me.

I used steroid nasal sprays for my blocked sinuses. I developed T in the left ear too (already have right ear T) with a humming sound, and something like a eeeoooo eeeooo, then felt liquid in there when moving my jaw from side to side.

So my T is linked to my faulty eustachian tubes. Maybe you have patulous eustachian tubes. Go for an intense run and see if you get autophony. Also decongestant sprays shouldn't be used for more than 3 days. Im checking if I have ETD or patulous because why should nasal sprays make my T worse...

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Will89

Will89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm aware of nasal sprays and use it sparingly.

As I say, the underwater sensation has gone for both ears - it's the left that still feeling a bit blocked. I don't get any autonomy and I cycle quite a bit.

My left ear sometimes feels like it wants to clear? Are you getting that, too? Ears sometimes feel wet and will pop and crackle when I yawn.

As for decongestants, I will sniff some olbas oil and Vicks, that often works for me. If it doesn't, then I'll use the spray.

I've also been inhaling steam to help clear.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Rafaa

Rafaa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have that feeling like it wants to clear, the ear feels wet and can feel my ear drum moving slightly some times. When I was on the spray, the ear drum was moving all over the place.

I had the liquid feeling in the left ear when I first had T in the right ear, hopefully it goes , as well as the new noise. Are your sounds quieting down?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Will89

Will89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

Exactly what I've been feeling!

My left ear still feels blocked, but the hum has gone, thankfully! However, it's replaced by an on/off static hissy noise - so when my left ear eventually unclogs, it goes away. It sure is taking it's time though, sometimes just feels like I'm wearing an earplugs when I'm not.

12. Rafaa

Rafaa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yep getting on and off hissy noise in the left ear now too, matching the right ear but not strong enough (or as damaged ) as the right ET. I believe I may have patulous ET's and that the spray opened the left ET. So with an open or weak ET air is lost easily and irritates the inner ear causing T. Also mucus can travel up the ET too easily.

Thing is I have sinusitis, so if steroid spray are bad and I need them to heal my sinuses how do I avoid the problem with making the ET's and T worse...

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Will89

Will89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been back to the docs who has actually prescribed me a steroid nasal spray. She asked if I've been using a decongestant spray (which up to this point, I've been confusing the two!)

Decongestant spray can do more harm than good in the long run, she said it's more of a quick fix thing.

I've had mixed results so far, I think I'm making progress, albeit very slowly.

I've been advised to check if in have any un-detected allergies, too.

14. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey @Will89

How does one check for un-detected allergies?

15. Rafaa

Rafaa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ah ok, I had been using a steroid spray. Keep me updated, will do the same.

I will have to check for allergies etc but I'm on a waiting list. The humming has died down since I stopped the spray, I'm do scared of using it again because I have sinusitis so I may have to...