Flying, Anyone Had Issues?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Wendy A, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Hi,

Meant to be flying next Wednesday.

I've read the posts saying it should all be ok, but was a bit worried about pressure and if anyone has had issues, what were they and did they make tinnitus worse? And for how long?

Thanks!

2. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Just flew from NYC to Italy/Germany no problem. Just don't go with a bad sinus infection .

3. tedmino
      Worried

tedmino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 17, 2015
      I was given the clear to fly the day after surgery. It was the vibration through my head that was awful. I never had tinnitus beforehand but have had it constantly since 17 days after surgery which was on August 4. Hopefully, that will go away soon. I used an earplug in my good ear and used tissues and headphones (not turned on) to help keep out some sound but the worst was just hearing everything loud and vibrating through my head. Depending on when you had the surgery, should make a big difference. If I have my other ear done, I will NOT fly until at least two weeks because my hypersensitivity has certainly improved but still has a ways to go. Good luck!
      Michelle

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      hi,my ears still feel full and sometimes a bit painful,its been 4 months only im meant to be going on holiday wednesday 4 hour flight will it be ok with my ears still feeling like this? didnt want to wear earplugs as they start my ears pulsing more as i also have p t the last few weeks,is it ok to fly with p t?thanks

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      PT means your picking up from the artery in your neck.
      If you get anxiety flying your pulse could race and hear it more but settle as soon as you feel settled.

Try clear your tubes with steam inhalation and a bowl and towel twice a day till you go and a mucous linctus to clear any unwanted gunk in your tubes....lots of love glynis

6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wendy A

Wendy A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      hi,im meant to be flying on wednesday with my son to his girlfriends parents wedding ,my t constantly changes and at the moment due to mirtazapine withdrawal its going a bit mad and im scared the flight will make it worse,cant use plugs as now have p t as well and its worse with something in the ear,its a 4 hour flight ,i will be gutted to not go but will be gutted if this gets worse as barely hanging on as it is,any advice? its only been 4 months though it seems like years,thanks

8. Barbara777

Barbara777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015
      Hi Wendy, I was 4 months with t when I flew for the first time. I was worried just like you are. My t is very sound reactive and the thought of flying was really stressing me out. There is a lot of good advice on flying with t in this forum. I bought a set of Bose noise canceling headphones that really reduced the cabin noise on the plane. I also used Alpine Flyfit earplugs for the pressure change during takeoff and landing. The flight I took was 6 hours long and it didn't have any bad effect on my t at all.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
    10. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      As long as you don't have a sinus infection, flying should be no problem. I have been on around 10 flights since I got tinnitus 2 years ago. I've had a spikes while flying, but I think that is mostly from nerves as I don't like to fly in the first place. I don't think the spikes had anything to do with the noise or the pressure in my case. Spikes always settled.

If you are concerned about the noise, just buy some earplugs or noise cancelling headphones. But even the noise in most airplanes are not loud enough to give you any hearing damage. An average airplane cabin have about 85 db noise. If it had been 90 db you'd still have to be inside the airplane for 8 hours before any damage to occur.

By the way, I'm going on a 11 hour flight trip on this Saturday, from Oslo to Bangkok. :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I didn't have any issues. I did not always have them full inserted, enough to dampen sound but not 100%, that way I could adjust them as the pressure changed.

12. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      What about those ear plugs that is meant for earplane....are they okay?

13. Andunwoody
      Fine

Andunwoody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Left ear Otosclerosis, right ear virus.
      I too was really worried about flying when I first got T. Since then I've made 15 long haul flights and at least 20 short haul flights. I sometimes noticed an increase in T after a long haul flight but think that was as much due to the time-difference/stress/tiredness as the flight itself, T soon returned to normal (for me) level. In 2013/14 I flew London/Atlanta/London six times in six months with no ill affects at all. This Spring I had a bad bout of Labyrinthitus which lasted 3 months. When I flew to Atlanta a few weeks ago I had problems with temporary hearing loss, dizziness and extra T a few days after arriving so I came to Tinnutustalk to get a few tips. I frantically chewed gum on the descent into Heathrow as advised on here and had no problems at all. I do still sometimes get anxious before a flight but long ago came to realise any increase in T was only temporary and was far outweighed by the joy of new places and new experiences. As well as the gum my top tip is to have some relaxation meditation recordings available to listen to in case you start to feel a bit stressed. Have fun, you will be fine.

• Winner Winner x 1
    14. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013

I heard it was wax and plastic earplugs which do not allow equalization.. I think foam ones are all right.. I hope I am right as I use the foam once when needed on a plane...

I fly lots and I don't have spikes or anything like it...

15. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes that are specifically made to make adjusting to changes in pressure easier. I have always just been able to do this myself with foam plugs but not everyone can self-pop their ears easily.

16. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I flew last Tuesday , 2h20min flight on Boeing 737. I was in the middle of the plane ( on the level of wings). No choice of places possible as it was full and places are given in advance..I use earplanes for taking off and landing ( first 15 mins and last around 35 mins..) and foam plugs in the middle of the flight. My app showed not more than 83-85 db during the flight, I can't be sure about the take off..also , the landing was harsh - the plane hit the ground quite violently - could it be very loud ? Cause this time I feel like flobally, on avarage my T is louder since I came back. It was loud after the flight, but I was extremely tired. After a good night sleep it seemed fine, but last two days have been quite loud again and I'm wondering if it can be a post flight spike..the earplanes don't block any noise actually..or very little. I hope they block at least 3 db, that would be already a lot, but I don't put foam plugs for the take off and landing following the main suggestions I read on TT. Now I worry..maybe the take off was as loud as 105 db , fo exaple ? And since the earplugs don't block noise it was enough to cause damage ? Eh..

17. Frederico_23

Frederico_23 Member

Use the bose noise cancelling headphones. The cancel the most of airplane noise and let your ears do the pressure compensation. Put some low volume music and relax.

18. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've flown many times before and after my 2010 worsening with no problem. These days, I do wear over-the-ear muffs, though.