Flying with Mild Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gregg69004, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Gregg69004

Gregg69004 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since february
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      over use of headphones
      Hi guys,

I would like to address this question to the people who have a mild case of hyperacusis.

I wanted to ask you if you had any issues with taking the plane and flying to other countries and if it did anything to your hyperacusis (setbacks etc..)

My LDL test is in the 90s and I am living a pretty normal life, I just wear earplugs when going to restaurants, loud bars and music bars (I do not go to clubs). I have travelled with the train and had no issues but I am a bit more concerned about flights.

For the people with severe hyperacusis, feel free to answer if you want to but I know that for some of you it is really complicated to go to airports so I am more asking this question to people would have little to medium sensitivity to sounds.

Thanks a lot and I hope everyone to a good recovery.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Taw

Taw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Pain hyperacusis since 03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (drum lessons)
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I think you will be fine @Gregg69004 so try not to worry. Use your noise reducing earplugs if you like when flying but try to work towards not using them too much in normal everyday life. Using them in loud bars is good practice but you need to be careful of overusing earplugs, as there's a risk of lowering the loudness threshold of your auditory system, which will make it more sensitive to sound.

Please read my post: Hyperacusis, As I See It, as you might find it helpful.

Take care,
      Michael

Hyperacusis, As I See It | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

• Like Like x 1
    4. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Should be ok man, just have good earplugs or earmuffs handy on you just in case. Have fun!

• Like Like x 1
    5. nogg
      Angry

nogg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Computer noise
      For mild hyperacusis, I don't think there will be any issues. Just use good but comfortable foam earplugs, and it wouldn't hurt to get some good noise canceling headphones, because a long flight could wear on your nerves.

The Sony WH-1000XM4 is the best at reducing lower-pitch sounds. For $350 it is good insurance. Many people use them on flights even with no hearing issues.

6. Aaron91
      Gloomy

Aaron91 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/headphones/concerts - Hyperacusis from motorbike
      Avoid earplugs on the way up and way down, as it might affect equalisation - better to use muffs. Earplugs should be fine during ascent stage. Take a decongestant pill and nasal spray in time before descent to avoid the risk of equalisation issues and barotrauma. Other than that, good luck.

7. nogg
      Angry

nogg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Computer noise
      I've only flown once since having hyperacusis and tinnitus. I used earplugs in the terminal, in the plane, on takeoff and landing, never noticed any problem other than what occurs for everyone. Unless you've had a problem in the past, I wouldn't worry about it. Do what you need to feel comfortable.

8. FearsforEars

FearsforEars Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      two heavy metal guys playing amazingly loud + me no plugs
      @Gregg69004, hey do you mind telling me how you got tested for your pain level? Is that what makes you mild?