For All Tinnitus Sufferers! The Biggest Enemy of Tinnitus Is the Current Time We Are Living In.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dubbyaman, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      The biggest enemy of tinnitus is the current time we are living in.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi dubbyaman,
      Life is one busy rat race and job presure etc.
      We all need to relax and try get some time to enjoy things and have fun...and most of all laugh...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      There are increasingly points in history where its "good" to have certain diseases. At this time cardiac disease is a good one to have because treatment is now so good compared with just twenty years ago (even though a lot of it is really just extravagant plumbing). Pretty lucrative for the Interventional Cardiolists too. Tinnitus will not be a good one to have for many years yet. Too few people in the research community that have the time, inclination and commitment, and a couple too many diversionary philosophies directing energies elsewhere. I think the floodgates would open if that one breakthrough were to occur. It has to occur somewhere, then it has to be believed and replicated for research to gain the momentum we hope for.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      Do you mean the biggest cause of Tinnitus is the current time we are living in ? If so, i'd agree with that.

If you meant, our current time is the biggest enemy of Tinnitus... Do you mean New Cures/Meds that may become discovered by modern medicine ?

5. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I didn't, but now that you've said it I wish I did. I suppose, discounting past wars, we are living in an era of 24/7 sound that has never before existed. As to your other question, well I meant the opposite. I think research is comparatively small in scale and funding compared with other high-profile diseases, and unless someone working on a shoestring makes a truly new breakthrough then nothing much will change within the medical establishment concerning tinnitus and its evil cousin hyperacusis. Things can change though. I remember when HIV infection meant death within 18 months and alive 10 years from diagnosis was considered remarkable and rare survival.

6. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      I see. so you meant exactly what you said.. my bad. ( But i was talking about what Dubbyaman said not yourself )

So you're answering on Dubbyaman's behalf ?

A real medication that actually relieved tinnitus would be a big seller.

But it's like finding a cure for alzheimer's. How do you restore nerves after they've been damaged/have degenerated ?

The body has to heal itself.

7. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sure would, but I would expect that it would incredibly hard to target any one nerve centre without a slew of side effects. I'd risk it though.

8. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      If we were in 2025 I would maybe agree with you but currently, apart from fancier looking masking aids, things are the same as 50 years ago.

To this day we are still told to go home and learn to live with it!

Tragic:(

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Right now tinnitus only has 1-2 enemies...Autifony and maybe SF4.
      If tinnitus wins we wont have any weapons for a long long......long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      No what I meant was, what do you do if you have a stomach ache, a broken shoulder, a bad hip, a toothe ache, an ear infection? See my point? There are definitive answers and solutions to all the things I listed. Pepto bismol, physical therapy, hip replacements, dental work, antibiotics. All these treatments and solutions were studied and perfected over time and we live in the time where all these things exist as a result of medical pioneering. For tinnitus, there is no gold standard of what to do yet. Yeah there are things in development but thats just it. If all of us started hearing this noise 10 years from now, we would have more things to turn to.

11. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      T is a complicated mess and many factors can lead to getting it. For hearing loss victims, you would need to find a way to repair the damaged hair cells in the cochlear and subsequently, T would most likely disappear. They report, regenerating hair cells is way off. Fixing T with drugs, is yet another bandaid approach, but it's the only thing we have now. Autifony may fix T, from supressing tarketed neurotransmitters, but for most, our hearing will still be impaired.
      The problem is, the cochlear, is tiny and encased in bone. To get at it would require nano-surgery. maybe 50 years from now, there will be ways to replace the entire cochlear, harvested from cadavers, or a micro electronic device far more sophisticated then the current cochlear implants. However, will this guarantee freedom from T? It seems, T screws itself so perfectly into our brains, it's almost impossible to get rid of.

• Like Like x 1
    12. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      T can be caused by hundreds of reasons, so ONE drug for all t. is never gonna be discovered. But, they can, and I hope they will find a drug that will resolve consequence (that stupid ringing). That is what AUT63 and SF34 are trying to do...to cut that connection that brings false information of sound into our brain!

@valeri, that was just I was talking about here almost 3 years ago, beside this kind of conversations between suffers, we are still in 1950's about this condition "Go home live with it" - Crazy!

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      That is maybe the most horrible fact! If autifony or SF does not make success, it will bi disaster. At least unit the 2023 there is not gonna be anything. Because do develop the drug and bring it to market is at least 8 years process.

I can not even thinking about failing of SF and Aut63

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have two relatives who are not old people who are, to varying degrees, disabled by having bad shoulder problems which cannot be fixed.

The idea that tinnitus is one of the only things that can go wrong with you which can't be fixed, is just wishful thinking. Go ask any person over the age of about 50 if they have any medical problems which can't be fixed, they will all say yes.
      This seems dangerous; I want these drugs to be at least somewhat effective, but the idea that they will work well for most T sufferers and continue to work without fail over a period of years seems incredibly optimistic to me. If they do, then great, but I'm not going to put my hopes and dreams into that basket because it seems like a good way to set myself up for horrible disappointment.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      I never said T was the only thing that cant be fixed. I have a birth defect called Arthrogryposis that has lead me wheelchair bound for 32 years. My aunt has diabetes. My grandma has lung cancer. The whole point of my initial post was just saying that it is a bummer that we are not further along in medicine.

16. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If 50% of the population had chronic severe T, we might see more serious attempts at curing the problem. Look at how much money is collected and spent on cancer versus Tinnitus. Cancer is considered life threatening, not T.
      When T becomes more epidemic and people start throwing themselves off of buildings, that's when it might be taken seriously.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

That's just one theory of what causes Tinnitus. My hearing is perfect, so no nerve damage there.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Go to the BTA website. They have an interesting video on there about people with T and no hearing loss.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Mad maggot,

Your case only adds to the mystery of T. Aproximately 10% of T sufferers have little or no hearing loss. This is the essence of why T is such a complicated bugger to cure.

20. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      I think that this era is the loudest yet. Think about it, we have louder cars, louder planes, louder places to eat and shop. Louder schools, louder music. Everything is ten times louder than it was in the past. And we have more ototoxic medication. And we have poorer people who have no choice but to work loud jobs. Medical complications that become chronic are on the rise including T. In my opinion, a lot about our current world is amazing but not necessarily 100% good for us.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?

Well,tinnitus is a condition that is common in the military and if there's one GDP riser and funding organization
      it's the military.That might considered to be an unfortunate reality but none the less they should have all the
      resources available to conduct research to a condition that is well suffered among their ranks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately, the US military treats their veterans like shit. I know a few vets, who have been suffering with T, and hearing loss since Vietnam. The veterans admministration basically says: "learn to live with it." Now where have I heard that expression before?

The US military doesn't spend it's hard earned money on Vets. They don't need them anymore. On the whole, they serve no purpose and cost money. Their current method to treat T and hearing loss, is therapy and hearing aids, not funding or finding a cure. So, don't expect any breakthroughs coming out of the military or for that fact, the government. Unless they inadvertantly trip over it. Private industry and research, is the only vehicle, I'd get into at this point.

It's pathetic how vets are treated in the US.

• Agree Agree x 3
    23. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      Yup they couldn't find that much of a hearing loss with me,i had a slight problem hearing high frequency tones but nothing alarming.

24. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I agree to a point. However, current audiograms are not able to accurately gauge full hearing loss over the entire freq spectrum of human hearing as well as account for all the variables of hearing such as environmental, proximity, noise and other factors. If you have high frequency loss with some nerve damage due to loud noise exposure for example, then it may very well never show on any type test, and that would be enough to trigger some crickets in your head!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      But most people even with no t could have a degree on hearing loss at some frequency or volume that can't be detected, I think all adults must have some sort of hearing loss outside the range of audio grams I just think t is more some sort of a brain issue or weak auditory nerves than just hearing loss

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current methodologies are only concerned with quantity of hearing, not quality (as in, whether you can hear orders or not). Its not understood (or cared about) that the failure of quality can have more devastating effects than the failure of quantity of hearing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Hearing issues arent life threatening...period. If ear issues of any kind were fatal, we'd either be dead or cured by now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    28. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately for me, my hearing loss is 65db from 2-8K in standard testing. I'm sure with all the phantom noise I hear, my hearing above 8K is wiped out totally. However, my nerve can hear about 15dB's better than my cochlear can. Meaning the damage to hair cells is greater.

I hear static hissing and high pitched whinning, that fills my head, like old steam radiators and dental drills on high. it's maddening!

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Why the hell cant hearing loss just be flippin HEARING LOSS!!!!

30. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band