For Those That Experience Setbacks with Tinnitus Increase, Did the Tinnitus Go Back to Baseline?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Theater Ringing, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Theater Ringing

Theater Ringing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure in a cinema
      Hello, everyone.

I've been experiencing mild hyperacusis for two months now and had made good progress last week. I was almost back to normal, when I got in the car and found that the volume was turned waaaay up on a loud song for some reason. I was hit with about 85-90 dB for about half a second to 1 sec before I turned it down. It was enough to give me a feeling of shock when it happened.

I didn't notice an increase in my tinnitus until yesterday, about 48 hours later. I have some ear pain/fullness in the left side again as well. I don't feel like it was loud enough to trigger an Acoustic Trauma, so I feel like it was just a setback.

My question is, does your tinnitus usually go back to baseline after recovery from the setback? I'm still getting a burning feeling in my left ear with too much noise today.

Also, should I wear earplugs around normal sounds for some time after a setback, or keep them off regardless of the burning that my ear feels right now?

Thanks!

2. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      A short while ago a friend went to kiss me on the cheek and I suddenly moved so she inadvertently planted a kiss right near my ear. Immediately I felt this fullness, pain and it increased the sound of the tinnitus although my T returned to baseline after many hours. Since the loudness you experienced was so brief, I trust it will return to baseline. I hope you feel better soon.

3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It will probably be ok. Things do not go back to baseline in the event of extremely loud noise.. for instance the kind of noise for which everyone should use earmuffs. After very loud noises like car horns very close, motorcycles, feedback from big radio equipment, stuff like that.. things may change and not return to baseline.

4. Kratos
      Dreaming

Kratos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Stress
      Yes, all my spikes go back to baseline after 2-3 weeks (and my spikes are EXTREMELY loud).

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Something like that has the potential to lead to a permanent spike. The incident that gave me T also lasted for a fraction of a second.

Having said this, there is a good chance that it is just a temporary spike. Keep in mind that temporary spikes can last as long as three months.
      If certain sounds make your ears feel worse, then listen to your body and protect your ears.

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Most spikes will settle over a few days.
      If not then get checked up for wax build-up or maybe sinuses or allergy reaction.
      Self help tips...
      Try stay calm and relax
      Off load stress
      Get enough sleep
      Steam inhalation to clear your tubes
      Antihistamine
      Wax softener like olive oil
      Sudafed

Tinnitus is so unpredictable but the longer you have it you will learn what the normal is for you.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Some spikes (whether T or H) settle down. Others don't (at least not after some time). My morse code T and burning pain H are still here after five months.

• Informative Informative x 1