France’s Music Scene Under Threat from New Restrictions on Noise

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Frédéric, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...e-under-threat-from-new-restrictions-on-noise

When some stupid people think that "the artistic freedom" is more important that the health of everyone and therefore the public health in general.

When in Switzerland (if I remember correctly), the maximum level in public places is 93 dB, this new level (102dB) is still too loud.

Damn, awareness is a long fight to lead. I support this decree.

Sincerely, what are your thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Grey Dawn
      Assassinator

Grey Dawn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Love this. Need international standards that are much lower. This needs to be it's own initiative. They will fight us everywhere..perhaps a mass lawsuit??? New city level noise monitoring happening in NYC.

3. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I suppose it can be argued that since people are free to go to a nightclub, they are also free not to go. And hence, whether the legislation passes or not, is not something I personally consider a priority (although, I am happy to see that the law likely will pass). Put another way: if people want to damage their hearing, that is totally okay with me (just as it is totally okay with me if people want to smoke). What I do care about is for the average individual to have the option to make an informed decision. To me, that requires having access to knowledge (in the form of - say - a warning sign) as well as having access to preventive measures (e.g. earplugs).

The Lancet revised the number of people with disabling hearing loss up to half a billion on a global level in a 2017-review of the scientific literature. The CEO of Otonomy (David Weber) did a presentation at the JP Morgan Healthcare Conference (January 11th) that explained hidden hearing loss is the fastest growing form of hearing loss there is. See quote, below:

upload_2018-1-22_22-12-45.png

Link to The Lancet 2017-review:

www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)31073-5/abstract

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Jean-Michel Jarre! :eek: What's he doing on that list? I am disappointed. :facepalm:

So they went from 105 dB down to 102 dB? What's all the fuss about? I mean 102 dB is still plenty. I also think that people should be informed and have a chance to protect themselves. On many venues there are no earplugs being handed out or available for purchase, nor are there any warning signs. But I feel like people are generally ignorant, and we need to put in more restrictive limits for the sake of everyone. At least until we have figured out how to put a silencer on tinnitus and reverse hearing loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      As a guitar player / DJ - 102 db DOES NOT IMPACT creativity. It's very fair.

Also, as long time party goer / performer, I only had an issue ONCE after an event in my life. What this venue did should have been illegal. I knew it was BAD the whole time I was there. I just didn't realize how bad / that tinnitus can come after one night out.

I've never had temporary tinnitus after a show. Only the long term variety.

6. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Now that I think of it... it is likely that it's the musicians with damaged hearing that are complaining about lack of creativity, because they cannot hear themselves. Including Jarre!

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I doubt it. He was on Oxygen therapy very early on.

• Funny Funny x 2