From Mild Ringing to Loud Hissing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michelle G, May 28, 2017.

1. Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure at a concert
      I developed tinnitus almost 2 months ago from a loud concert. I got used to the ringing sound, but recently it has become a hissing sound. I can hear the hissing over the tv and it is more noticeable than my usually tinnitus.

I am not sure if this could be related, but I have been popping my ears all day. Is hissing a good or bad sign?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      This may not be a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why is that? My ent told me to perform the valsalva maneuver at least ten times a day, but I haven't as I heard that that could be harmful. I have just been opening my jaw and swallowing as much as possible which pops my ears

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It won't help with your T or ear fullness. Some people claim their T began after doing a valsalva maneuver.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What if I just pop it my moving my jaw or swallowing?

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That doesn't sound like it has as much potential to harm your ears, as valsalva maneuver. It is surprising that you need to do that so often. Normally these things don't work on ear fullness due to acoustic trauma.

7. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      If you're just swallowing, the equalization of the pressures restores the ear drum to its steady state, so - in my opinion - the risks are limited.
      The valsalva maneuver, however, puts significant pressure on the ear drum, which in turn communicates the pressure to the stapes through the ossicular chain, and therefore puts pressure on the interface with the cochlea. I personally wouldn't do this very often and/or very strongly, because of the stress it imposes on that part of the anatomy.
      The risks are probably not very high, but with a weak ear, I wouldn't take my chances especially if the expectation for reward is non existant: in your case, you have T from noise exposure at concert (per your profile), so I fail to see how valsalva is going to help there.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for your response. Sorry I did not mention earlier, but I also developed a lot of ear fullness after my concert and after developing tinnitus. My doctors suspect Eustachian tube dysfunction. I am popping my ears to try get some relief from the fullness, not the tinnitus. I do not do the valsalva maneuver unless I am in so much agony that it is the only thing that will give me a little relief. I do however open my jaw and swallow often to pop them the slightest bit. It doesn't give me much relief, but it helps.

9. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'm not sure how you'd get ETD from a concert...

I think that the reason you feel relief from the fullness while you do valsalva is because your ear drum becomes more sensitive when it is bulging out (which is happening when the internal pressure is higher than the external pressure during the valsalva process), so it gives your the impression that sound is coming in, which makes it feel "less plugged". It is a common phenomenon.