Fullness and Blockage — Part of the Tinnitus Journey?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mario martz, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Are fullness and blockage part of the "Tinnitus Journey" ?
      I have headr that it's very related to Meniere's or labyrinthitis.

But it's also pretty common in noise induced tinnitus right?
      Maybe it just means that your ears is not working right?

2. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Hey so as you know I only have it in my left ear even tho sometimes I hear it in my right. But there is a huge difference with fullness in the ear with T. Esp when my left ear is hurting and my right ear is just acting normal. I just don't know it's so strange! Z

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      For some reason i think we are T twins lol
      yes!
      so have you had that little fullness feeling too?
      or ear ache?

4. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      We really are!! I feel like our T is the same! Honestly, I've noticed that my fullness and ear ache comes if I sleep on it wrong! Or just randomly! But I will say one thing*knock on wood* after six months officially noises don't hurt my ear as much as they did!

Hope you are having a good T week!

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Emmi
      Not amused

Emmi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @Mario martz

I also have this feeling of fullness and occasionally some ear pain.. my T is probably mainly caused by acoustic trauma and I think that with the acoustic trauma there comes some sort of ear muscle tension along. Maybe that is some sort of protection mechanism of the ears when exposed to loud noises.

In some other thread this was posted: http://www.hyperacusis.net/other-factors/acoustic-shock-disorder/
      And I think that it might be possible that quite a few people who have T from noise exposure but no hearing loss might maybe have an acoustic shock disorder along with TTTS.

"TTTS is an involuntary condition where the centrally mediated reflex threshold for tensor tympani muscle activity becomes reduced as a result of anxiety and trauma, so it is continually and rhythmically contracting and relaxing, aggravated by intolerable sound exposure1. This appears to initiate a cascade of physiological reactions in and around the ear, which can include: tympanic membrane flutter; alterations in ventilation of the middle ear cavity leading to a sense of blockage or fullness, as well as muffled/echoey/distorted hearing (...)"

Personally I don't have the feeling of rhythmic fluttering so I don't know if the blocked feeling really is part of TTTS.. but somehow I think that the feeling of fullness is related to ventilation issues.
      Could it maybe also be related to ETD, so that somehow the ventilation of the Eustachian Tube doesn't work properly?

6. fedup

fedup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection and earphone use
      I too have recurring ear fullness ,especially in my 'better ear' it comes and goes all the time along with itching and aching and dulled hearing. My Dr can rarely see anything wrong in my ears he says. I have had an MRI scan which showed there was nothing structurally wrong with my ears and nothing nasty in there.
      The fullness and dulled hearing drives me nuts and has me worried all the time that I might go deaf which just feeds the anxiety loop.
      My T has now returned to an INSANE level . It is very scary . I did have about 48 hours of much lower T recently but I am paying the Piper now !
      Best Wishes folks.