Fullness and Tinnitus for 6 Months

Discussion in 'Support' started by nycdoctor, Nov 3, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. nycdoctor

nycdoctor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have fullness and tinnitus for 6 months. The last 3 weeks it has been constant. I have tired Ginkgo biloba,Lipo Flavonoid Plus, steroids. and even diuretic

MIR normal
      Hearing test normal
      Blood work normal

I have gone to 3 ENT doctors

I CAN'T GO ON LIKE THIS FOREVER

2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi NYCDoctor!

Welcome to the site.

Is it safe to say you are a real physician?

Sounds like you are having a spike. Avoid stress, anxiety, and try to sleep at least 7-8 hours every day.

3. serendipity1996

serendipity1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown but suspect noise-induced
      I'm in a similar situation - have had tinnitus for the past five years but my ears have been plugged constantly for months and there is no physical blockage or fluid it's quite distressing.

4. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      The other day i woke up and my right ear was blocked, could barely hear out of it. Then the next night I woke up and about ten minutes later it popped and my hearing came back, weird huh? Is yours like that or can you still hear ok?

5. serendipity1996

serendipity1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can still hear but everything sounds dulled and far away. I definitely think it has led to some pretty significant changes for me in that I now feel depersonalised all the time, everything sounds 'far away' like I am not really connecting with sound. I definitely feel that I am experiencing a sensory deprivation like my brain is not getting enough sensory input so as a result it has resulted in a perceptual shift ie constantly feeling depersonalised.

6. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Wow that sounds really odd. Have you had a hearing test?

7. serendipity1996

serendipity1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I mean, that's just me theorising - I have always been quite anxious and recently my mental health really deteriorated and I have just been put on meds (Mirtazapine) so that definitely could be a factor too.

I had an audiogram last week which came out as normal and have spoken to my GP about being referred to an ENT for further tests. Tbh it's been frustrating - the audiologist I went to did remark that my symptoms did sound like hearing damage but after he performed the test and it came out as normal he became pretty disinterested and just said to visit my GP so he wasn't much help. Futhermore, the GPs I have spoken to are absolutely adamant that this is all down to my anxiety, with friends and family mostly saying the same, it just ends up making me feel like I am crazy or just imagining this. But what good is a piece of paper telling you that you are fine, when you know that it is not. It's also hard to convey to friends that it is actually quite distressing without sounding whiney - "well, you can still hear me so you're fine!".

It's funny actually - my T is probably the least of my problems with regards to my hearing. It is only really audible when I plug my ears but the other issues especially the fullness are especially irritating. To be honest, I would much rather have perfect hearing with T still there I wouldn't mind. I'm only 20 too which sucks. If this is indeed confirmed as hearing damage (I suspect hidden hearing loss/auditory nerve damage) then I'm just praying that in ten years or whenever they will have found some way to restore the nerves with stem cells or something like that haha.

8. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I have some hearing damage in my right ear - couple 30db dips at 3/4kz. I would only really notice it If i wore earphones which I don't do anymore. I am sure concerts/long term use of earphones done the damage really. What do you think done yours? I am 27 btw.

9. serendipity1996

serendipity1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My best guess is headphone use during my teenage years and then clubbing too!

10. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      That fullness feeling is a killer, when I take my hearing aids out the fullness kicks in as does the T then the ears start to hurt ,HAs do help me a lot without them I could not cope id have to be knocked out and live life in a dream,in all my dreams I have no Tinnitus going on

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. serendipity1996

serendipity1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Crap, I'm really hoping the fullness feeling recedes in time but atm it's just unrelenting. Like, I can never NOT be aware of my ears because they constantly feel funny. It also kind of annoys me when friends are like 'don't worry, when I focus on my ears I feel things too' because it's not really the same tbh.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. bhira

bhira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If it helps that's how my T started with fullness in the ears and stuffy feeling. Hearing tests were fine and everything else good too, although my ENT told me what was contributing to my T was that now I had eustacian tube disorder and that my tubes were so swollen it was causing that muffled/full feeling that I had been having for months before onset of T which finally made me get it checked.
      Several months later I still have T but have gotten used to it because when the swelling started to subside the stuffy feeling slowly, very slowly started to get better as well as the T. My ENT told me tho that it could take a while for it to get better and of course may/may not be the exact cause of my T.
      But it's gotten better and I'm habituating ok now. I'm not saying this is the cause of your symptoms but something you could get checked because it sounds like how mine started. Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
    13. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I know what you mean, the ringing is annoying but if I could hear music without the distortion I could be happy. My hearing seems worse in the left ear but audio grams come out pretty indetical. I have fullness in the left ear and the ringing yet the right ear feels fine but still shows the same dip at 4K. When I plug my ears with my fingers the ringing is deffo in the left.

Sometimes the ringing and fullness does ease but the distortion is always there.

14. serendipity1996

serendipity1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My audiograms have all been normal but I'm pretty sure I have high frequency loss and nerve fibre damage. Not to turn this into a pity party but I feel like nobody else that I know in the real world can relate....they're all like 'there are people out there with huge, life-changing things going on, what you have is nothing incredibly extreme and is easily lived with.' Which is certainly true...but on another level I always feel like snapping back immaturely with 'you just don't get it'.
      Tbh hearing loss is not just 'oh i can't hear as well', it brings a whole host of issues with it...like I don't really enjoy music any longer, normal sounds hurt my ears, I feel like I'm walking round in a dream, my social life is limited, the cycle of anxiety it brings, etc etc. But people don't see anything visibly wrong with you.

15. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Same here, music sounds all distorted too me with a constant rattle.
      I'm pretty sure it's nerve damage (sensoural and vestibular) that I have. The pinging sounds like an electrical cable discharging along with the ringing and balance issues.
      5 months in for me from acoustic trauma but it still feels brand new too me :(
      My solical life is non existent now, I can't go to restaurants are they are too loud, can't go too cinema or a bar, cant enjoy music, can't relax, the future seems very limited and scary now.

This is very much life changing, it's never going to go away. Sometimes I feel like I would rather have hiv, no cure for that either but it can at least be cotrolled now with drugs,I know that would have unpleasant side affects and many other problems with it that one could not understand unless afflicted with the disease (much like hearing loss and tittitus) but I feel it may be possible to have a better life with hiv than hearing loss, tinnitus etc etc

People don't get it.

I also have a massive sense of self hatrid, I caused all of this myself and I hate myself for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. serendipity1996

serendipity1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, me too and I'm just holding out hope that stem cells will save us haha. Seriously, if in ten years there's no effective treatment or cure....well idk what I will do I just need some hope to cling on to.
      Yeah, people really don't understand. And fair enough I can't expect them to, most people don't give their ears a second thought because most people's ears function perfectly fine.
      Oh gosh yeah for me it's the self-hatred that is the worst....I literally caused all this because I was an ignorant teenager. And people don't get that either when I tell them it's my fault, that I abused my ears.
      They always say "but you didn't though, otherwise we would all be going deaf" and I have to ram the message into them that maybe I just ended up causing more damage than them, they are so reluctant to accept that.
      I feel like my friends are starting to get annoyed and they tell me just to 'get out there and live' which I accept is true but on the other hand how am I supposed to live normally when I have to worry about going deaf all the bloody time.
      Or they try and make me feel better by saying 'well, I have to wear glasses otherwise I'm blind hhahaha' which tbh isn't much consolation....I can't just put a hearing aid on and have my hearing restored to normal.
      And yeah i didn't know what to make of the implication that somehow this isn't life-changing. Sure, I may have a home with central heating, a university education, etc etc but it seemed quite belittling...honestly I would say hearing loss is pretty life-changing....sure, it's not a sudden dramatic event but your lifestyle is changed drastically.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I doubt you will go deaf but you will have this problem for life as will I.
      I have hearing loss. That has been proven, caused by a powerful external alarm. I don't believe I will go deaf, I do think my hearing will get worse faster over time and the tinnitus etc along with it. My hatrid is that I had above perfect hearing before this and now that has been destroyed leaving me with a life long disability to deal with.

I know what you mean that most dont think about their ears, sometimes we just think we are unbreakable. I knew the dangers of this alarm but I was stubborn.

Even looking at pictures of myself in my phone before the 29th may 2016 kills me.

My partner tells me I am being selfish and this is all about me. I tell her of course it is, this is something I deal with from the second I wake up (I only sleep 3-4 hours now too) it's literally in my head all day, everything is affected, nothing sounds the same and my balance is wrecked.
      This has affected my home life my relationship my family, my wellbeing, friendships, everything.

Yes it is self pity of course it is but how can it not be when it's with you all the time, it's not like a sore arm or sore back, it's in your head, it's part of your everyday vital senses that never shuts off until the day you die. :(

18. The Red Viper
      Angry

The Red Viper Member Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Leftover infection ETD + neck muscle injury
      It's gotta be some kind of inflammation or muscle spasm. That's the conclusion I'm coming to myself with my T. I think it's some kind of neck muscle spasm. The problem is drugs to treat it can also cause T. If they don't cause T directly like anti imflammatories then they can cause T indirectly like muscle relaxants.

19. ridgew

ridgew Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005->2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      When I wear big monitor type headphones, i don't percieve fullness. That's how i spend most of the time at home.

20. Zeneth
      Hurting

Zeneth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very Unknown At This Point.... most likely loud sound?
      try and pop your ears, open your mouth super wide and move your jaw every once in a while... when I first got ear fullness I had it for like 2 months before it popped and fixed

21. Vinnitus
      Bookworm

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Exactly. One of the (many) potential side-effects of the drugs to control HIV is... you guessed it; Tinnitus. In such case one could have both HIV and Tinnitus.

With both HIV and Tinnitus one would constantly have to worry about the ototoxicity of the drugs taken. You need the drugs to keep HIV at bay, but at the same time you want to protect the hearing you have left and you certainly don't want to worsen your Tinnitus.

Diabolical decisions, if you ask me.

22. vegasjon

vegasjon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      In no way I am saying this is a definitive solution, but I've had destructively strong fullness/pressure issues. I was put on a diuretic, Florical and dropped my salt intake by 80 percent. It helped - but the fullness returned. Somewhere, I got the idea that niacin might help. It could be coincidence, but after I started taking 500mg a day (flush free niacin), the fullness vanished. Months later, when I ran out, I stopped using the supplement - and I swear, the fullness started to return. I went back to the niacin and it seems to be gone again. This may be complete coincidence, but I'm sticking with it for now.

23. nycdoctor

nycdoctor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Two ENT are telling me that I have Meniere's Dx

24. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Didnt they subscribe you with Serc? Thats the one they quickly prescribe and show you the door ,for plain Tinnitus its a steroid nasal spray for 6 weeks as they push you out :)