GABA-A

Discussion in 'Support' started by seppl, Apr 4, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. seppl
      Cool

seppl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hello my name is Sebastian from germany.

For 8 years i took a medication (finasteride) for hairloss. In the USA its also known as propecia. I took my last pill in February the 15th. 5 days later my right ear was beeping. On March the 6th my left ear was ringing. The Doc was giving me prednisolone, pentoxifyllin and later betahistin. But nothing was changing. I search the internet for side effects from finasteride. I was shocked. Finasteride can change the GABA-A Receptors and can possibly cause tinnitus. There are some people on having the same side effect. My left ear is 1,5khz and the right 3khz and i have no hearing loss. It´s a mild tinnitus, i think 15-30db, but i´m not 100% shure. When i clench my teeth the (This is curious) T goes quieter. When i move my Jaw foward, left or right my T gets louder. Same when i press my forehead.

My Question: Can this be fixed? Can the human body heal himself? Or is AUT00063 my only hope?

Sorry for my english. Big hug to this forum.

2. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi and welcome to the forum first of all try to relax and keep yourself calm as you are new to T and this could possibly clear up all by its self in the next few months.You have no hearing loss which is a very good thing so be happy about that.Its fairly common for people to experience T when coming off certain medications and can potentially disappear usually 1-6 months from discontinuation of the medication.There is also a chance it wont fully disappear but it will get a lot better.As for the jaw movement this is somatic T which basically means you can increase or decrease your T by certain jaw movements this is very common so dont worry.It could also mean that you may have an unalligned jaw or TMJ causing this so seeing your dentist should be your next move.

3. seppl
      Cool

seppl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      I know, staying positive is the best i can do. Yes, i will check my Jaw/TMJ (i have 2 bridges). I also had checked my atlas bone. The orthopedist says its a little bit leaning. I hope he can correct it. They also will check my liver in the future, because problems with the liver can cause tinnitus. And i get accupuncture & MRI.
      But i think the reason for the T is this medication. Before i got T in February 2014, i have 2 nights in December 2013 where i here a beeping tone in my right ear. But after these 2 nights it goes away. When i got the T: At first i feel guilty, because i take this medication. But the guilt is not on me, because it´s not a official side effect on the package insert. The first time was hard, but now i can handle the situation. Ok , i have moments, when i´m thinking:"the T can be forever". But i have no sleep problems and when im working i don´t notice the T. Yesterday i noticed that, when i´m gulp, i hear a little cracking in my ears. I dont know if had this before my T.

4. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Sounds like stopping the medication suddenly, without tapering, may have caused your t. Similar to benzo withdrawal. Talk to your doc about this. I have heard of t fading away in some of these cases, but it can take a while. What happens is your body is used to a certain level of gaba (inhibitory neurotransmitters), but then stopping suddenly, the excitory neurotransmitters start going wild, as the gate of inhibitory neurotransmitters is suddenly dropped. The excitory neurotranmitters is what causes the t sound. BMaybe one answer might be to go back on and then taper off again. Not sure. Best to talk to doc.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. seppl
      Cool

seppl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      I´ve talked to a lot of Doc´s, but they have no experience in that. Some ask: "what if you go back to the medication?". But i have fear that this make my T worse.
      BTW i Take a Vitamin B Complex (B1,B2,B6,B12,Niacin) and Magnesium. And for some days i tried Taurine. I dont know if this helps. Can i take a natural GABA supplement for better my T?

6. seppl
      Cool

seppl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      More Questions to come: Can Xanax or Campral (Acamprosate) cure the problems the excitory neurotransmitters and inhibitory neurotransmitters?

7. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Prolonged use of xanax can cause T also according to some studies but im no expert in my opinion you should avoid these medications as addiction may result from their use.Interestingly you mentioned natural GABA supplements Karen on this forum knows a lot about natural supplements pretty sure thats all she uses so hopefully she may comment soon with her opinion.

8. seppl
      Cool

seppl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Here is what i found about the medication finsteride:
      progesterone-allopregnanolo.gif

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. seppl
      Cool

seppl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Just an Update:i have ordered
      taurine, l-theanine, picamilon, lipoflavonoid, N-Acetylcysteine to raise my GABA.
      My Ringing ist constant every time.

All the Finasteride Victims in forums, did not get rid of the Tinnitus. That to know, is hard to me. (There are GABA issues via Finasteride's inhibition of Allopregnanolone from Progesterone. In the mid-1980s it was found that a progesterone metabolite allopregnanolone, often referred to as a “neurosteroid,” is a powerful positive allosteric modulator of GABAA receptors.)
      I'm thinking sometimes to end my life. For me there is no hope anymore.

10. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      What is the gaba supplement .will like to try . I am doing atavan for two weeks and do not like will not sleep if I do not take...answer much appreciated

11. seppl
      Cool

seppl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Picamilon is able to cross the blood–brain barrier and then is hydrolyzed into GABA and niacin. The released GABA in theory would activate GABA receptors potentially producing an anxiolytic response. The second released component, niacin acts as a strong vasodilator, which might be useful for the treatment of migraine headaches.

I Have This from Wikipedia.

12. manuel_rodrigues

manuel_rodrigues Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/8/2014
      Hello, Sebastian,
      How is your tinnitus going? I had the same problem, i think mine is getting better, slowly.

13. seppl
      Cool

seppl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      my tinnitus is lower in volume, but sometimes its gets louder, but after some hours it goes to normal volume. when its loud i suck my ears in (negative pressure in the ears), then the T is quiter --> This gives me the idea that theres a chance that my T is not in the brain. Because when the T is in the brain i think this (manipulate the pressure) will not work.

at the beginning the t was constant in volume, not changing a bit. but now it does. in the first 3-4 months i was depressed. but now i live a normal life with the noise. when i work i dont realize it anymore, but when i am in silent rooms i can hearing it. i have some moments: where i think, my life would be perfect without the noise, but with the t its a good life. i passed my exams in july. at the beginning of the t i never thought that i will get trought this mess, and will crash my exams.
      the crazy thing is i have no sleep problems. i like it, when i play ocean waves or music on my laptop, with that the t is not distracting me from beginning to fall a sleep.
      after work or exercise my the is more often very low in volume.

my t is a humming tone in my left ear (1,5hz) an a morse code (2 tones) in my right ear. i also have a cracking sound (+ little feeling theres fluid in the ears) in my ears when swallow or do the vasalva maneuver--> i dont think i had this befor T--> but i´m not sure.
      sometimes i´ve got lachrymal sac twitches and my thyroid is near the border to hypothyroidism (take tablets for this).
      so i think its possible the problem can be twitches (myoclonus) in the ear?!
      for this will ask a Doc. in Berlin this month.

What i Take now: Gingko Biloba, Magnesium, Zink, sometimes Vit. B. Complex

how is your T? i want to learn more about this finasterid - T.

14. tommykhun

tommykhun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      L theanine upregulate gaba-b receptors.
      Try bacopa studies shown it upregulate gaba-a. So far it's been helping my tinnitus.

15. I1pro

I1pro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Your case seems to bet hormone related. Try taking lots of saw palmetto and exercise your neck to improve blood flow. Let us know if it works.

16. gintas

gintas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015-05
      So anyone had a good effect using gaba supliment?

17. jthurm

jthurm Member

Hi Sebastian,

I would love to hear from you. I've taken to your posts here and feel a kinship with you. I'm going through the exact same thing as you. I'm writing this about 1 year and a half after you originally started this thread. If you could, please tell:

- How are things since your last post?
      - Do you find that the Gingko, Magnesium, Zinc, etc. has helped?
      - You said the volume was lower in your post 4 months later. When did you notice this and was it done without supplements or with them?

Thank you, Sebastian!
      Jthurm

18. Califlub

Califlub Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Finasteride / Propecia
      Sebastian,
      I have very similar situation and wanted to post because it seems that most people have the side effects that we share started when they started taking Finasteride. My symptoms have also started AFTER I stopped taking the drug. I took it for about 10 years and two weeks after I stopped, I heard a ringing in my ears. I was in my truck and pulled off the road thinking something was wrong with the radio. I am 100% sure my symptoms are from Finasteride because I have several of the side effects and they all started about the same time. The T and sexual side effects are the most life changing.

I have had T for over two years now, and it gets better at times, then worse again. If I am busy it doesn't bother me, but when it is quite it is loud. It is always there. My doctor has me taking a barrage of vitamins and supplements including an expensive one-a-day vitamin, L-Argenine to increase blood flow circulation, Tribulus, an herbal testosterone boosters, and a Metanx which is supposed to repair damaged nerves. The Metanx says it takes 3 months to start working and it is a little expensive, so after taking it for 3 months and not having great results, I stopped. Now more recently my T has gotten worse so I started taking it again. Very frustrating because I do not know what to do.

I have also thought about going back on Finasteride but have not because I would like to think that my body is trying to heal itself and that would be a setback. I am also afraid that it could make the symptoms worse. If anyone has tried this, please let me know.