Garlic Makes My Ears Hurt

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kriszti, May 28, 2020.

1. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is not a very serious issue for me, but I'm curious if others experience it.

So, whenever I eat raw garlic I get burning pain in my ears. I'm absolutely aware of the very easy solution here: Don't eat garlic. I just don't understand the connection between the 2 things. This doesn't happen if I eat other hot and spicy food.

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      In theory raw garlic reduces inflammation and it is also antibiotic, so it should be good for ears.

3. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      An interesting fact: Garlic is good for inflammation, but bad for lupus. I'm not sure how that's relevant, but it's interesting nonetheless.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks, guys.

That's why I absolutely don't get it. It's supposed to be good. And because I don't have any problem if I eat food that contains garlic, just the raw form, I thought that maybe the sharpness could be the problem, but nothing happens if I eat jalapeño or pfefferoni (thanks God, because I love them).

I'll google lupus, that really does sound interesting.

5. Eloy Resendez Jr
      Blah

Eloy Resendez Jr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Minor hearing loss (twice)
      @Kriszti, I have no answer for you. It's just interesting of all the crap we have to be aware of when it comes to tinnitus, totally sucks man. Anyway just whining a little. Have a good day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      For me raw garlic is better than a pill. It may have to do with it totally unblocking any nose, because it is so strong. If you don't put olive oil over the garlic it can burn your throat though.

Actually in some places there is a clove or garlic inside the oil bottle. Of course, laminating garlic and eating it raw with olive oil on top, on a toast of bread, is still stronger.

7. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I eat a lot of garlic, ginger, and onions, and lots of spices. No impact on my ears or tinnitus.

8. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have lupus and I haven't really cut out anything from my diet. I try to avoid dairy, caffeine, and alcohol because I feel a bit worse after. I spoke to my rheumatologist a while back about this but I'll follow up.

9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Maybe it's a TMJ issue, not a reaction to garlic per say...?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm not really familiar with TMJ, I wanted to go to a dentist or gnathologist, but couldn't due to COVID-19.

How would TMJ cause this type of symptoms? I don't have other problems with chewing.
      I have a weird, "off" feeling with my left ear, but it's constant. It's really hard to explain how it feels, it's not burning, it's not my ear canal, but it's like something is in my flesh around the tragus. I can't really say how long it's been there. My left ear is the more problematic one. For years I've studied with erplugs in for 8-9 hours a day in exm periods, I thought that maybe that caused the discomfort.

Do you think that HRCT is good for diagnosing TMJ issues too? I'm considering having one for furthering an otosclerosis suspicion when health care is more accessible if COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.

11. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Yeah, noise can be relentless and unpredictable. What seems to help reduce noise one day doesn’t help next day. No real pattern to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Klnyc

Klnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi! Did you happen to find out why?

I just experienced this and have been googling trying to figure out what happened. It was as if the inside of my right ear through to my throat was on fire or being stabbed. It was only one ear too.

Thanks! K

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No, not really. I still eat garlic, still get some burning, but it is not that bad for me now and doesn't cause permanent pain or worsening.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Fructose intolerance?