Getting Worse!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Darkener, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Darkener
      Frustrated

Darkener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown / Possibly wearing ear plugs every night?
      I have had tinnitus for years, but it only became a problem in November last year. I got used to it fairly quickly considering, and I could get by with occasional background noise when it got really bad.

Recently I started a new job (about 2 weeks ago). Factory work. The radio was on constantly and on the fourth day was so loud it was painful, even with ear defenders. I had to quit. I couldn’t damage my ears further. But it’s too late and the ringing sensation in my head has gotten louder.

Worse still, after an hour (both ways) on a train yesterday, the buzz in my right ear has worsened again and become an incessant high pitched hiss, while the high pitch tone in my left ear has become more pronounced. I’m honestly at my wits end and wonder if I can go on much longer with this. Have been experiencing sharp pain in my right ear this morning, too. Possibly the onset of an ear infection. Tried olive oil in my ears yesterday. A few warm drops to try to soothe the sound. No improvement.

I will probably never be able to work again with this and I’m terrified of going on a train or bus as it could make them worse again. I take regular train journeys (using earphones with very low music if anyone else on the train is using earphones where I can hear their music) but this time for some reason it set my ears off. I’m terrified of anything making it any worse. Can not function. (I’d talk to a therapist but couldn’t afford it.) Any help would be very much appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hey, totally get your fear and frustration here, this is definitely the most horrendous condition to deal with and I too am beyond frustrated with it all and it’s only been 2.5 years!!!
      I’d definitely say, don’t use your ear buds, even at low volume... I’d give your ears a rest. Personally, I wouldn’t use them again. Protect your ears, custom ears plugs are good, and worth the investment. I can’t go anywhere without mine. You said your ears were painful, do you find your ears are sensitive to noise?
      You will be able to work again, it’s just a case of finding the correct environment. I understand how frustrating this :( xx

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Darkener
      Frustrated

Darkener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If it’s loud enough, yes, I find it painful. Like at work when I was wearing ear defenders the bass was amplified to a point where I would be squinting and tilting my head toward my right shoulder as an automatic reaction. But my tinnitus has not worsened at all in months so to have it worsen from music at work, and again just after one train journey, has really put me off wanting to go outside or do anything. Just when I thought that finally I could live with it it gets worse.

4. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tinnitus is an awful monster.
      You need to be more careful in
      loud & noisy environment in the future.

5. Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Perhaps this could be hypercausis? X

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Darkener
      Frustrated

Darkener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can hyperacusis cause physical pain?

7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hyperacusis can and often does cause physical pain mostly in the ears. It also comes in various levels of intensity and contrary to popular belief, pain is not always felt with hyperacusis. An indication that someone has hyperacusis is over sensitivity to certain sounds. People that have tinnitus caused by noise trauma often experience hyperacusis. There is treatment depending on how severe the hyperacusis is. A lot can be done by self help but in more severe circumstances, professional help will be necessary, with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist trained in the management and treatment of tinnitus and hyperacusis. Treatment is usually counselling and sound therapy. Typically, this is desensitization of the auditory system by using white noise generators. They are often used as part of TRT and can be very helpful.

Unfortunately using headphones, earphones as you have been doing hasn't helped your condition and probably made your tinnitus and in particular the hyperacusis worse. I advise you to stop using headphones/earphones even at low volume, as you risk making your symptoms worse and if you are not careful recovery may be very difficult.

Click on the links below and read my posts that you might find helpful.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

8. RSV

RSV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 years ago.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music guitar.
      It will get louder and worse. But I promise you you wiil get used to it and adapt. And you will sleep.:cool:

Mine gets louder everyday.:sour::cry::censored:

And God is real.:cool:

He lets me get used to it every day. And that is habituation. It takes weeks, months, and a year sometimes. Ask anyone.:sorry::sour:

God let's me habituate daily or every few days. The most is 2 days. Ask anyone that does not happen? But it does to me.:cool:;):woot:

9. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      You can't say to this person it will get better or worse, you don't know. The only factor here that may make it easier to bear is our faith.
      You've claimed God healed you but then it came back. I for one totally disagree with your representation of our Lord. If He actually healed any of us, it wouldn't come back. Period. To suggest otherwise is to undermine His ability.

• Like Like x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Darkener
      Frustrated

Darkener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I mean headphone ear defenders and ear plugs. No music.

11. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Darkener

Something originally caused your tinnitus and the usual reason is exposure to loud sounds or headphones use. You have said that you have used earphones with very low music this could make the tinnitus more intrusive. Overusing ear defenders and earplugs is not a good idea as a "lowering of the loudness threshold" of the auditory system will result, making it more sensitive to sound. Please read my post in the link I sent you: Hyperacusis, As I see it. I read one of your previous posts mentioning you sleep using "earplugs" Not a good idea for someone with tinnitus. The auditory system and brain needs to be supplied with sound from the outside world. Use a sound machine at low level by your bedside for sound enrichment.

I think a referral to ENT tests and a Hearing Therapist will help you.
      All the best

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @Darkener In my experience, yes it can x

13. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Darkener I mentioned to you in another thread to consider talking to a doctor about getting a neck X Ray. I base this on your entire history, hyperacusis, sensitivity to sound, possible hearing loss, new job where posture head bending may be taking place and your photo.

Unless your photo was taken in bad light, your neck muscles appear to be stressed. This is very common for tinnitus up to 43% to 85% with your history. The 43% is the neck. The 85% would include the jaw and facial. I have posted links to this. I just posted a link to Kelvin about the splenius capital muscle. Your SCM muscle also appears to showing stress. If this is the case, then treatment may solve your problems since you are young.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Darkener
      Frustrated

Darkener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If my tinnitus seemed to be getting worse from work, though, could it be neck muscles causing it? And would a doctor be able to help with this?

15. blissaliss
      Swamped

blissaliss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic drugs/ maximum stressful job
      A factory doesn't seem right for you. You probably need a job that's quietish but busy. I put in my ear buds when my husband (because I refuse to) vacuums, or things similar.

My job is very busy and I can't hear the tinnitus, then when I get home I listen to a little distractions on my headphones and I'm good. Factories pay well, but your sanity comes first.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Darkener
      Frustrated

Darkener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As factories go it’s relatively quiet - in the warehouse. Just forklift traffic and wooden pallets being dropped on the floor make noise.

My tinnitus is strange. My left ear is reactive, so if I listened to music on some headphones it would set it off and become a loud hiss making listening to music impossible. My right ear is distortive, changing the quality of certain sounds so that beats sound tinny and water noises sound almost electronic. My spike in tinnitus seems to have come out of nowhere. I have not had any damage to my hearing with work, only the pain in my head when I lifted more than I should have.

(Incidentally, whenever I yawn now, my t briefly intensifies. Don’t know if that’s significant.)

It’s deeply distressing. I could try to find another, less strenuous job, but it’s one of the quietest jobs I’ve had. I have worked in factories my whole working life so far as I love standing up, being active and doing things. I don’t want to walk out of this job unless I’m sure it’s worsening my tinnitus. But by that time of course the damage will have been done. It’s a horrible catch 22.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018