Ginger Root Reduced My Tinnitus Severity

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Leodavinci, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Leodavinci Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic + Sudden hearing loss
      I haven't seen a forum thread specifically addressing Ginger Root. I have had tinnitus for three months now. I am not sure what caused it but a week after onset I also got Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss in one ear. I lost 25-30 dB of hearing in my left ear for several low frequencies. I took oral corticosteroids for a week which may have helped. My hearing loss also may have simply improved spontaneously- which is what I most suspect. I recovered some hearing in my left ear and the hearing seems to have stabilized 6 weeks after onset and I am relieved. The advice for new tinnitus sufferers to just remain calm is a little too presumptuous. New tinnitus sufferers need to have the possibility of SSHL and other possible causes of tinnitus ruled out exhaustively by seeing an ENT immediately. Sudden hearing loss was modest in my case and I didn't notice it in my hearing - it came to my attention with an audiogram. Hearing loss can be much worse and permanent without fast treatment.

I have been taking an all food multivitamin, 150-300mg of magnesium, 25 mg of Zinc and 500 mg of ginger root for two months. I stopped all supplements for a couple of days and the tinnitus worsened noticeably - probably back to a baseline that the supplements had improved upon. I reintroduced Ginger Root pills for two days, at a dose of 540 mg twice daily, and the tinnitus is back down to about 50% of regular intensity. I have a tonal tinnitus with a hiss as well as a sense of aural fullness. All of these symptoms have been much improved over the last 48hrs and I believe it is the Ginger Root reducing inflammation. This is a major relief for me. I use an organic Ginger root from Amazon; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001VVD04?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 but I think a non-organic pill would work just as well.

Has anyone else tried Ginger root pills in this type of concentration? What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't even know if I want to try any sorts of vitamins, do they really help?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Leodavinci Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic + Sudden hearing loss
      Most nutritional supplements are not in the least bit dangerous at concentrations commonly found in a multivitamin. Ginger root is not in multivitamins but has well researched therapeutic effects. I think it's helping me but it will take some more time and experiments like withdrawing from it again to be sure. Ginger is a common food and spice in Asian cuisine although i wonder how much ginger in food compares in active ingredient content to the 1gram i take in pill form. Wish you luck. I think you can very safely take at least 1gram of ginger root pill a day.

4. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Ginger is a blood thinner so may have improved circulation generally.
      If you are not on blood thinners it will be quite safe.

5. Jcmc

Jcmc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very Loud Headphones!
      I know this an old post but how is the Ginger working?