Giving Up Therapy/Acupuncture/Doctors

Discussion in 'Support' started by ShereeTemporary, Apr 10, 2016.

1. ShereeTemporary
      Cheerful

ShereeTemporary Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Hi there fellow tinnitus sufferers ,

Since November 2015 I have had this horrid problem because my manager burst an inflatable packaging into my ear. It doesn't get better. I've tried everything. I'm at the end of my tether.

Perhaps "habituation" means giving up hope. That's what I'm about to do. I've had it up to here trying to get a solution or relief. Vitamins/accupuncture/physio/ stretches/sports/yoga/meditation/swimming/no salt-sugar-caffeine-alcohol/white noise apps/ window open at night.... it's all a frustrating postponement.

It's going to be here for the long haul so I am thinking now that I had better just accept it begrudgingly.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    2. HighDesertSage

HighDesertSage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I'm so sorry that happened to you. People can be so thoughtless. As a kid one of the boys on the school bus threw a cherry bomb at the back of my seat. I was deaf for hours. Who knows, maybe that's why I have tinnitus now. Your post shows a great deal of wisdom and I appreciated it because for three years the concept of accepting the unacceptable has been on my mind regarding the tinnitus. Maybe it's like people who forgive those who do terrible things; they're forgiving not to be saintly but because it's hard to be healthy and happy when you're holding tight to a hurt. Wishing you good health.

• Like Like x 3
    3. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You and I both had our tinnitus caused by others, I think that makes it harder to let go. I too have been trying my best to fight it and make it not permanent. I haven't given up yet, but I'm starting to lose hope. At this point I'd be happy with a reduction in volume and reactivity, I think I could live with that.

Incidentally, I have talked with several people not on this forum that have told me they started to get used to it once they stopped trying to fight it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      I would agree with @Alue, I started to really habituate once I "gave up" on trying to make it better, but I would rather look at that as something that will later feel less like giving up and more like acceptance. I really think it will grow into the latter. I also think it's important to try everything in the beginning - none of the things I tried really made a big difference, but I don't have to look back and wonder "what if I'd tried x."

Things do get better - three years down the road, tinnitus plays no role in my life except that it's made me stronger and less afraid of having to face challenges in the future. Also, it gave me the honor of being able to hopefully offer a little help to those here who are in the midst of the worst moments.

Hang in there and be well.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. KyushuKris

KyushuKris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      Yep, best just to not to dwell on it. I've had T for 15 years, basically you're going to find after a while you stop focusing on it so much and you forget what your hearing was like before you had it, and then you'll habituate and while you may or may not stop hearing it entirely, you will find it just doesn't bother you. It's a drag, I know. But you may as well just resign yourself to having it permanently and try to mould your life around it. Keep trying various things- I find that some of the online vids for neuromodulating T sounds really work for knocking the 'edge' off from mine when it's really pinging. Let us know if you find anything that genuinely works for you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ShereeTemporary
      Cheerful

ShereeTemporary Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Thanks all for the input here. I've been out to the doctor today (cancelled my accupuncture session).

They're sending me to the audiologist centre, but before I get in there they have a questionnaire for me to fill in so that they can assess my situation better. I also bought vitamin b12. I'm only interested in being healthy now and trying to heal on the inside. No more acupuncture needles etc.

Tinnitus (and its throbbing companion) has changed my life almost completely, I was happier before. Calmer before. Had no bad memories of someone injuring me before. My profile picture is from a pre-injury time. I'll never get that back, that healthy feeling. And that's what hurts the most.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Sara_Bond
      Cool

Sara_Bond Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure

Hey @ShereeTemporary
      I feel you. I quote this sentence especially cause that it's exactly what I felt. I had some déceptions in my life, I mean it could hurt you psychologically but nothing like T.
      I really hope you find some relief like anyone here who is suffering.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Viktoria
      Insomnious

Viktoria Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bruxism or medicine
      Hi Sheree!
      I have been living with Mr. T since december 2015. Since then I have been afraid of eating sugary and salty foods. Even my coffee had to go.
      But something changed right before my birthday on 1 april. I wanted to have a birthday cake but I was afraid of eating it. Then I thought....what a misery. So I took a deep breath and decided to eat my birthday cake....and enjoy it too. No reaction from Mr. T.
      That gave me courage to try salty foods and yesterday I drank coffee. Again no change in tinnitus.
      I have been too afraid....I guess....so now I'm trying to ease up and live a little☺