God, Prayers and Miracles — An Alternative for All?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Per, Jan 11, 2014.

1. alibee
      No Mood

alibee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ?, big spike in 11/2013
      This title bothered me specifically, as well. I don't understand the generalization that people make where if one is praying, they need to be somehow aligned with a certain religion -- and in the very first post in this thread, I see a correlation between Xianity and the power of prayer. ("You don't have to be a registered Christian to share your reflections on this.") It immediately becomes divisive.

I am sure that was not the intention, but it's something to consider when beginning discussions of this nature.

Relatedly:
      That's completely false! Where the heck did you even come up with that, @Per? ENTs can make inferences based on their knowledge of how things work, sure, but they certainly don't just come up with fluffy theories and the like in such a way that they can be correlated with Christians! (Not to say that Christian theory is fluffy, I'm using your terminology here.) This is such a bizarre thing to say!

2. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Per hasn't been on TT for the longest time now, I hope he's all right.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I forgot to mention this, but my in-law passed away in October of 2012, and as I arrived at the family's home, I noticed a sick old man setting on the porch, and my wife told me that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease some time before. He looked like he was ready for a nursing home to tell you the truth.

Fast-forwarding to November of last year, I met the same man at another funeral - except I did not recognize him until he introduced himself to me. He told me that God healed him of Alzheimer's. He said, "a visiting minister prayed for me in a church service, and I felt a warm feeling enter one side of my head and exit the other side".

I can vouch that he was in his right mind with no traces sickness. I was astonished to say the least.

• Like Like x 3
    4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Yeah, me too, @Sherri. I am hoping he has gone to that happy habituation place where people no longer need to post. Or that he is taking a board break, often not a bad idea.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      I'm a christain and belive that God hears our prayers , i never douted God once or blamed him for having T, i read alot about blamiming God for what we go through and why, why why, but if you know the bible there is that guy the devil ??? who comes to kill, steal and destroy??? I believe that i will one day be cured thats called faith beliving in something not seen, I will continue to hold on to my faith and God,because every morning that i awake with a breath of life is a gift, being here today is a gift .....

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
    6. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I am not a Christian, but I do believe in God.

There was a time, however, some twenty years ago, when I was truly suffering from tinnitus in the worst possible way imaginable, and I thought God had turned His back on me. I was devastated. I was losing faith. So I sought the advice of my rabbi, a very wise man. And here is what he told me:

He said that he was talking to God about me just that morning. And he said that he had the answer. (I knew the rabbi was saying that just to make a point, but he sure had me interested!)

He asked me if I remembered back when I was a kid, and my parents would bring home a jigsaw puzzle to solve - 375 interlocking pieces. I said, "Sure, but what does that have to do with my life ... and more importantly what does it have to do with my tinnitus?"

The rabbi went on" "What's the first thing you'd do with the puzzle?" I told him I'd take the cover off the box and set it up on its edge so I could always see what the finished project was supposed to look like.

He asked, "And next?" I said that next I would dump out all the pieces and turn them right-side-up.

"Next?" Next I'd make the border. And then finally I'd fill it in piece-by-piece.

The rabbi said, "Right. And God wants you to know that life is just like that - with a few small exceptions. First of all, you don't get to see what the cover of the box looks like - only God does. Second, both sides of the pieces of the puzzle are blank. Third, there is no border. And fourth, the number of pieces are limitless. God wants you to know that with those four minor exceptions, that's what your life and your tinnitus are all about."

My rabbi said that his prayer for me that day was that somehow, some way, over time I might be able to put together even a small part of my puzzle - so that I could begin to feel whole again and find purpose in life. I sat there completely numb, and I cried in his arms.

Friends, I am new to this board - but I am most definitely not new to tinnitus. The story I just related to you is true. It happened twenty years ago, but I remember it as if it were yesterday. And, yes, over time I was, indeed, able to put part of my puzzle together. The result? My life today with tinnitus is better than my life was before tinnitus. And my life before tinnitus was great!

To you who suffer today. Whether or not you believe in The Almighty, it is my sincere hope that each of you can somehow, some way, over time put together a small part of your own puzzle.

Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 5
    7. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      I do not believe that my tinnitus nor even my very existence is part of some giant play written, directed and cast by God or any deity that one wants to believe in. If any can find solace in such belief then so be it with them. It will provide no comfort to me tonight when I cannot sleep to know, even if it were true, that my tinnitus serves some purpose in the over all scheme of the universe.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      @Dr. Nagler thank you for the beautiful post. the rabbi must have suffered quite a deal himself..

9. J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Let me 2nd that.

10. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @Dr. Nagler ,

Thank you for a beautiful and inspiring message! For me, that says it all.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    11. I would like to feel this way concerning my severe H, ear pain and setbacks..etc..I am a Christian and I am having a very hard time with this. Isolation/fear/pain-loss of friends, family, fellowship, the worst, my daughter crying because she wants her Mommy well......these days are dark, but my faith remains.

• Hug Hug x 4
    12. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hyperacusis is readily treatable using any of a number of desensitization strategies .... and (as opposed to tinnitus) in many cases it is actually curable. It is very good that your faith remains, Lynn, but I am curious regarding what in addition to prayer you have done to get better!

Respectfully -

Stephen Nagler

13. Can you explain what these are?

I've had it for 2 months and only get worse. I am awaiting to see a TRT clinician(she insists that I see ENT first and that takes time, and she is best in my country to my knowledge) In the meantime, I use table top devices to play nature sounds throughout the day and night. Pink Noise hurts me through You Tube. I have never worn ear protection in the house and I still get worse. I read "normal sounds can't hurt me", yet I worsen...I don't understand ldls very well..if you say mine are 40-50 (they feel very low) but normal sounds can't hurt me, but I am not supposed to expose myself to levels above ldls, how do I make progress?

My last setback was only from normal 'cumulative' exposure ( or else speaker phone?) and my ear pain lasted 2 days! Maybe I did too much that day in exposure? I also do breathing techniques to remain calm when exposed to normal sounds that "hurt" (like paper bags, water, plastic, things dropping on floor etc) and tell myself these noises aren't harmful etc..work on my anxiety with CBT. I seem to ALWAYS worsen after riding in a car and feel housebound..I take walks.

Please tell me how to do desensitization properly, and I will do it. I appreciate any advice you can give. Somewhere along my research and symptoms, I have gotten confused.

I also have Tinnitus, my H came a few weeks later. I know others on here have gotten better with H, but I wonder if their cases were more mild. I get the thumping, fluttering to all "intolerable" sounds and can feel spasms in my ears.

14. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Well, Lynn, first you need to have an accurate diagnosis. You have decreased sound tolerance, but are you sure it's hyperacusis?

Next, as far as "how to do" desensitization, you will likely find some suggestions from individuals "practicing without a license" on the Internet who might post authoritatively but who have had absolutely no formal training in medical or auditory sciences. Other than avoiding the natural tendency to overprotect your ears, I would rather you get desensitization treatment recommendations from a knowledgeable and experienced clinician after a proper diagnosis has been established. I would beware of therapeutic suggestions from unlicensed "Internet gurus" - no matter how much sense those suggestions might make on their surface.

Just my $.02

Stephen Nagler

15. Thanks..though my wait to see a knowledgeable and experienced clinician is months away...I am trying to do my best to understand what to do in the meantime. The internet and others experiences is all I have right now.

16. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Just curious. How do you know whether or not the information you glean from the Internet on tinnitus and hyperacusis is accurate? I mean, it all makes sense, right?

Like if I had multiple sclerosis and went on a multiple sclerosis support board, I suspect everything I might read there would make sense - even the suggestions that might actually make my condition worse.

Something to think about, anyway.

Stephen Nagler

17. I try to follow what others have learned from their knowledgeable clinicians and actually no, it doesn't all make sense..as I have learned that according to some, "normal sounds" "apparently" caused them worsening permanent symptoms and others say that is not correct. I do believe in TRT, but also realize that for some it does not always work. It's not like I can just go to a knowledgeable clinician tomorrow. There are steps to be taken, and wish that weren't so. This a terrifying, life changing experience (for me and my family) and like any other human being, I am looking for answers and ways to improve. Like others on here. I wish more physicians understood Hyperacusis and treatment was immediately available. My doctor said it's from my depression and I need antidepressants to treat it. This advice she got from the ENT I was to see. At first she had never heard of Hyperacusis and diagnosed me with atypical migraine. I had to inform her of what H is...if H is indeed what I have...

18. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Are you still going to the same doctor?? I hope not ;and avoid that ENT.
      Even though the standard answer by ENT's -learn to live with does not
      offer any comfort, ENT's should be able to differentiate between Tinnitus/depression
      and migraines?

19. Yes, she is still my doctor. I can't switch atm, because of my ongoing health issues, (she's aware of them all and treats them) and basically, finding a doc here is very hard. I don't live in the US. To switch now would be too hard and in her defense, she has worked hard at seeing that I am comfortable and I was in a severe depression before this started, which she tried to treat then, and I refused the med. I prefer natural. In her mind, she would like to rule out depression as a cause by treating it..or so she said. She also did not like the ENT, and is sending me to another.

20. here2help

here2help Member

Street Spirit, you asked about the proper way to do desensitization. First, it is great that you are playing nature sounds through a tabletop device. Using gentle background sound when you are at home is a very good idea. All too often, people with decreased sound tolerance spend a lot of time in silence and it is good that your research has led you to keep some background sound going. That is a good thing to do in the meantime while you are waiting for your appointment.

Other things you can do: Don’t overprotect your ears, stay in touch with your faith, and tell yourself every day that as isolated as you feel right now, this is temporary, and you will get the help you need to get through this difficult time.

I hope you are no longer using the pink noise you found on YouTube. A lot of pink noise found on the Internet is poorly made, and if it hurts to hear, it is not for you. That doesn’t mean pink noise or white noise isn’t for you. It just means the particular one you found on the Internet is not worth your time.

It says a lot that you have taken the time to research your symptoms. I realize you want answers as soon as possible, and with so much on the line you are in a difficult and frustrating place. The best thing you can do is to go to the experienced doctor you mentioned in your post, take the recommended tests, and then work with the doctor to find the best treatment for your own needs, based on your diagnosis.

There is no way to tell over the Internet if someone has hyperacusis. But there is a proven way that can help a good doctor make that diagnosis or rule it out. It is so important to know what you are dealing with because the treatment for hyperacusis differs from the treatment for other types of decreased sound tolerance.

One more thing. From reading a few of your posts, I’m convinced that you are stronger than you know and when you do see the doctor, you will do whatever it takes. That is one of the things that comes through loud and clear in your posts. You will get through this.

here2help

21. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      See information page
      I do not read the Bible very much. The only good thing about the Church - as far as I recall - is that you get free redwine... :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Sure, but you have to remember that just because God can eliminate someone's tinnitus, that doesn't mean He will. If you read the Psalms, many of the Psalmists were suffering and often asked God, "How long do I have to live with this affliction?" It's easy to think of the Psalms as being written in a matter of minutes, but the reality is that the content could represent decades of agony. Timothy was told by Paul to drink some wine for his stomach's ailment. Point is, God doesn't always miraculously heal someone. He's not our personal genie waiting to grant our wishes, but God instead does everything ultimately for His glory, not ours.

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      and thats the sad truth:(

24. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      OK, @Stina. That's that sad truth. Now here's the good news ...

Even though God - for whatever reason - might not choose to eliminate your tinnitus, He has given you the power to overcome it yourself!

Perhaps the great basketball coach John Wooden said it best: "Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

So maybe instead of feeling frustrated and helpless, take advantage of what God has given you - the power to overcome your tinnitus without His further intervention!

Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 2
    25. stantheman

stantheman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/25/11
      I just finished reading a book about Auschwitz. In it the author describes the horrors that went on there. He said that many of the survivors became atheists because of all the sufferings they went through and the prayers to God which went unanswered.

26. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      I am not a religious person and people are entitled to their opinions but I find this incredibly offensive. I hope your not comparing t to the holocaust. If religion makes people feel safe and lets them handle their t better I don't understand people's need to to make sarcastic comments about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. tom68
      Wishful

tom68 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      I didn't read it as comparing T to the holocaust and don't see it as offensive at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      Anything I say on here I first want people to know that none of it emanates from a place of aggression so I hope it's not taken that way. That being said this is a thread is about talking about people belief in god helping them through the battle with t or the hope that their faith will. So I'm confused then what relevance the quote about holocaust survivors losing faith in god is doing on this thread. Anyway I shouldn't have said anything everyone s entitled to their opinions. But this is mine.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      It doesnt matter what religion you are everyone can believe what they want but for example i simply believe T is apart of life or gods plan which T is just another problem just like any other problems we come across like having arthritis or migraines or diabetes cause lifes not meant to be 100 % perfect, thats what heaven is for but god does give you the gift of acceptance and able to overcome... But badically humans are not yet perfect enough in all ways like appreciating enough or loving enough and then theres things like diseases that are not yet cured which everything is curable its just a major puzzle and some diseases will take thousands of years and advancement in research to cure. ( T wont take much longer cause research is booming now) but basically what I believe is once everything is cured and humans are at the best there gonna be like no more war which i know seems impossible so it might be another thousands of years but once all thats done then the world will end. Again this is MYY belief :)))))

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    30. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      And if that makes you a better person and helps you to deal with t and life I'm happy for you. I just think since this is a support forum about t there is no need to debate arbout religion. This isn't the place for that.

• Agree Agree x 2