God, Prayers and Miracles — An Alternative for All?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Per, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Several billion people believe in Jesus and God, meaning they believe its possible to be healed from all sorts of stuff cause after all miracles and healing power is described in the bible. That so many people belong to this believe is within itself a little weird, especially because it can never be proven. So billions believe in things that is just a believe with no evidence that could win the case in the court of law. At the same time ENTs believe in fluffy theories and loose assumptions with no scientific proof whatsoever also, so it's not like the Christians are one of a kind in that way.

When I first got tinnitus I went to a couple of charismatic churches in pure desperation and asked to be prayed for by some seniors there so I could receive healing from God - it obviously didn't work for me. So if I look at it in scientific manner it's a waste of time and energy, but why do we hear about people that swear God and prayers set them totally free from heroin addiction, alcoholism, dyslectic disorders and what not?

Have anyone here experienced relieve of reduction in Ttinnitusafter praying? You don't have to be a registered Christian to share your reflections on this. Personally I think it's a strange thing that I find myself pray although it never seem to work in a dramatic manner, however I must admit that it has resulted in some sort of relief and even weird experiences. But then my problems always comes back with great revenge, and it doesn't necessarily have to do with my tinnitus & hyperacusis issues. And that is when my resistance to everything Christian is the strongest... but then I tend to forget it and return to prayers again some time later. I guess desperation is a very strong motivation.

If it's the the power of self suggestion, mental effects, imagination, unknown physical response mechanisms or whatever it is I don't care. However, the bottom line is that I still have tinnitus although I both prayed myself and received prayers from many believers in a church, and that is supposed to be the house of God if I understand the bible rightly.

Could believing strongly in something in fact "move mountains"? Can prayers and a strong believe depress the plagues of T? Can it in fact be a strong alternative medicine or can it only provoke anxiety cause of the potential for great disappointment and strengthened despair? I've talked to people that say they were very ill from physical conditions and that "God set them free" and healed them. What's going on?!

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    2. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      I recently have asked a good friend of mine who is a youth pastor to pray for me. He says he has seen miracles happen, and I have nothing to lose in praying.

• Like Like x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Fingers crossed for you demi. I know why you wanna try as you can read from my post. Feel free to share how it's developing.

4. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Praying might be good for helping your outlook. That's about it. I'm betting my cookies on research.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Praying might help but not because the creator of the universe cares about your tinnitus lol.

Meditation / prayer, call it what you will, but relaxing and reducing stress and focusing helps.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Off-Kilter
      Artistic

Off-Kilter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tinnitus led me to start believing in God. Or rather, after seeking out and being convinced by arguments for God's existence and properties, I remembered that I always knew that God is real, and I was just pretending to not know.

My reaction to tinnitus is the worst thing that has ever happened to me, and it caused me to really think about why I ought to keep living, and how I ought to live. It's easy to not ask those questions when things are going well, but they are actually the most important questions that there are. It's funny how I used to get so worked up over trivial issues and was flippant about the most important issues. It's a common thing, I've noticed.

I became aware that I always know what I ought to do, and almost never do it. I came to understand that this knowledge of "ought" is God's intention for me, which means that I spend almost all of my time rebelling against God. If I had listened to God, I wouldn't even have tinnitus, so it would be cheeky to ask God to take it away.

Actually, God is a lot like tinnitus. God is always there, telling me what I ought to be doing. And it's only a problem if I perceive the instructions as negative.

7. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      An interesting topic. I find it hard to believe in a loving God though I hope one exists and occasionally pray. For example here where I live a couple of days ago a young father and his two young children were struck by lightning as he was leaving them to school. The father and one of the children are in a critical condition. I ask myself how could a loving God allow such a thing.
      I do believe I think in a higher power that we can tap into. I believe we can do so through such techniques as chi gung and yoga perhaps even devotional prayer. Tinnitus has certainly purified me. I no longer care about making lots of money, sexual conquests and the rest. The only important things are love and compassion for our fellow beings and the earth. I find small acts of kindness are my main motivator now.

8. Off-Kilter
      Artistic

Off-Kilter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think it might be a loss of perspective to wonder why God allows specific terrible things to happen. After all, every single one of us will be obliterated from the material world. All of us! It doesn't get more terrible than that. That's a much stronger challenge to God being loving.

This can only be justified by an afterlife, since it will reduce the material world to a finite blip that doesn't matter in the end.

9. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I do believe in God but I do not know why he chose to put us in a everday torture. I sometimes think to end this suffering and reach him to ask why.