Going to a Concert?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by John Mullarkey, Apr 19, 2017.

1. John Mullarkey
      In love

John Mullarkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 24th 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud Noise exposure
      Hey Im pretty new to this site but im chuffed that it exists:). So im 17 I started noticing my tinnitus last year.

I had a series of wax buildups and had my wax removed 3 times in one year after this i got tinnitus. I think its noise induced as i play bass in rock bands but i think the constant wax removal had something to do with it .

Anyway ive had tinnitus exactly one year from today and its quite mild. I can only really hear it when im in bed or when im in class and everyone is quite. So i sleep with a fan on and ask my teachers to turn on their computers as the hum of the computers drowns out my t. I play in jazz bands still with 25 db ear plugs and have not noticed an increase in my t. I want music to be my career and its my greatest love i play pub gigs( 70-90db) and in church(88db) with ear plugs and i stand away from speakers .

sorry for giving my life story but i basically just want to know would i be able to attend a paramore concert this summer? its in an small enough venue ( for paramore anyway ) that usually is around 90 and peaks at 115db .

Just wondering if it would be safe for me to go and if i should wear extra protection? Maybe muffs over the plugs?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Mullarkey
      In love

John Mullarkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 24th 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud Noise exposure
      Tinnitus in both ears by the way and no hearing loss

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Anyone with tinnitus needs to protect their ears but at the same time its about having lots of fun in your life.
      A cold virus is just as much of a problem with ear problems.
      Only yesterday I went the theatre see Bat out of Hell musical and so glad I had my noise reduction plugs with me and knowing I was probably the only one in the building wearing them gave me reassurance I was more protected .
      My tinnitus is due to menieres not noise induced.

A tip for you !
      Make sure you use olive oil drops in your ears morning and night 7-10 days prior to wax removal to soften any crusted wax around the ear drum.

Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      There are guidelines out there for sound/noise dbs and how long an exposure before damage is done. But for those of us with tinnitus, one need to use prudence as Glynis suggests above. There is a delicate balance between having fun and having less T days. You will be the best judge and you need to use wisdom on this. Here is a site for guideline:

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Maia

Maia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yeah that really shouldn't be a problem. I've had T for about a year now too (19, now 20) and I've been to lots of shows the past year. Just wear ear plugs, you'll be fine!

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Everyone needs to protect their ears not just ppl with t

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @John Mullarkey

You have been given some good advice on this thread and I hope you follow it. I just want to mention a few things that might be of some help and also give you something to think about. At the moment your tinnitus is mild and that’s good and even better if it stays that way. However, loud music and tinnitus do not mix well together. Since you play in a band even with the use of earplugs, there is the risk of making your tinnitus more intrusive over time and the reason is this:

Behind each ear there is a hard piece of bone called the mastoid bone. It is honeycombed with air pockets. If external sound is loud enough, it is able to pass through the mastoid bone and enter the inner ear and can irritate the cochlea which could make your tinnitus more intrusive. The best earplugs in the world cannot stop this.

I am not saying to stop being a musician, I’m just advising you to be careful of being around loud sounds for long durations and try to give your ears a rest whenever possible. The same applies when going to concerts as you intend doing, try not to make this too often. Tinnitus can be very unforgiving and sometimes a spike can increase the tinnitus to a new and more permanent level.

Even when wearing additional ear protection as you have suggested: earmuffs over earplugs, surprisingly, won’t stop low bass frequencies from affecting your auditory system if they are loud enough. Please click on the link below regarding transmission of sound by bone conduction.

All the best
      Michael

PS: since you have noise induced tinnitus, I advise you not to listen to music through any type of headphones even at low volume, as there's a risk of making the tinnitus more intrusive.

https://www.britannica.com/science/ear/Transmission-of-sound-by-bone-conduction

• Winner Winner x 2
    8. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      I personally think it's not worth the risk.

Tinnitus can always get louder.

You have damaged ears so you gotta now take extra care of them. A few hours of fun isn't worth potentially louder tinnitus in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 4
    9. ryant

ryant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I haven't read the other responses here, so I might be repeating what is already said. If you decide to go to the concert just wear a good pair of earplugs and stay in the back, never up close were the speakers are. Buy a pair of earplugs with a carrying case you can attach to your keys or carry with you. You can find musician ear plugs with a carrying case on amazon for about $25.

10. Krish230
      Badass

Krish230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - nightclub
      In a similar situation to you - I'm going to 2 concerts this summer. My plan is to double up with hearing protection. Going to wear 33Db in-ear plugs and then over the top 33Db ear defenders. They look like headphones so hopefully I won't stand out too much!

11. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      That is insane levels of protection, i assume the music is going to sound very muffled, why don't you just use the plugs.

12. Krish230
      Badass

Krish230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The sound will be muffled for sure, but I want to reduce the risk of my T getting worse as much as I can. So even though I'll be standing towards the back with two types of hearing protection on, it'll be worth it if I get no/minimal increase in T.

I've had to accept that I must change the way I live my life, to an extent, and this is going to be one of those things. At first I wasn't planning on going and risking it at all, but I've decided to take as many precautions as I can whilst still enjoying myself.

13. Krish230
      Badass

Krish230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So....

I did go to that concert and my T has CONSIDERABLY spiked... @Michael Leigh your words about the mastoid bone seems to be right here, the bass was certainly loud and I'm back at square 1 again, kicking myself.

Seriously, people, T does not mess around!

I stood too close to the speakers, and 2 days of loud sound took its toll. I have no idea how people can go to week-long festivals and manage it. Especially if they already have T.

14. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience @Krish230 I do hope the tinnitus calms down for you. I have been there so have a good idea of what you're going through. Loud sounds and tinnitus just don't mix. Some people believe only mid-range and high frequencies can cause harm but low bass signals are just as bad.

Keep strong and hope things improve for you soon.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1