GOOD LORD The Dog Gave My Other Ear a Huge Spike!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marie79, May 25, 2016.

1. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      My landlord was coming over to deliver our new lease (good news no new rent increase). She wanted to check out the property though but when she knocked on the door my dog, like usual went nuts. I got a HUGE spike or I guess not even spike because I don't have ringing in that ear. The whole time with the LL I was a nervous wreck.

It was like 45 minutes. I think it has gone down or changed or maybe gone away. Is this normal? Maybe before T we all had these moments and didn't panic?

how on earth could my dog barking for like 15 seconds do that? Could it cause long term damage???

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I don't really understand. Do you have a spike or not? You say you do but then you say you don't have ringing?
      I have a very hard time believing that a dog barking for 15 seconds, unless right next to your ears are harmful or can do much damage.
      I do think you are very anxious and that if anything are making you feel the way you do. Like I said, I still think you need a break from this forum so you can try to focus on something else for a while (that is what I did), or you will keep circling around in your current thoughts on and on without really progressing with your habituation.

3. Starlord

Starlord Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It may not be a spike. It may just be sound sensitivity/slight hyperacusis. I do agree that you need to calm your nerves. I myself still have the issues, but am making them less important. Now I visit this site less and less. Before I used to be on here for hours almost every day. Now I may get on once or twice a day for two minutes. Your stressing yourself out too much. You can't let every single instance knock you down, and then question it. Get up immediately, dust yourself off and keep trucking forward. Things will be alright.

At one point a few weeks ago my friend and I started to watch a movie on his home theater. When the movie started, for some odd reason the volume was up to max. The moment the movie started it was hell for 15 seconds until we were able to fumble our way to the remote and turn it off. Did it make me worry? Yes! Was there a spike after? No. My night and the rest of my nights went normally (as normally as a life with tinnitus gets).

You just need to relax, and I do agree with Fangen. It will do you a lot of good. As supportive as this site is, it is also important to realize when to take a break from it. Otherwise we just circle the problem and give it all our attention. Things will be alright Marie :huganimation:

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It was in my other ear that I don't have T much so I guess that wasn't necessarily a spike but it was ringing very loudly for 45 minutes after my dog barked. VERY loud. It wasn't my nerves. It was pretty instant with the dog barking right next to me. I have no idea why it happened. Maybe because it was in our hallway and there is an echo?

5. StubbyJ

StubbyJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      I have a German Shepherd with the loudest yelp/bark known to mankind. He hurt my ear before T. Now, I don't even think about entering the house without plugs. Mine always calms down (I think it's more of a hyperacusis thing as mentioned), thus I would't fret at this point.