Habituation and Sleeping

Discussion in 'Support' started by Robert44, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      My T wakes me up almost every night after about and 1 hr and half of sleeping. Then I have to try to fall back to sleep again. I find if I put the volume of my speaker pillow up louder that I might stay asleep longer. I was trying to keep it at a minimum so that I would eventually habituate to the T at night. What has been your experience with this? Is it better to put it louder and get more sleep or try to keep it at a minimum in order to gain habituation? My T really doesn't bother me during the day. Any comments appreciated!

2. Gr8fulDude
      Balanced

Gr8fulDude Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss from loud music and noise
      Time will help you habituate and if you can get back to sleep for now with higher volume, I say go for it. Hopefully you will soon not need your pillow but give yourself some time.

3. @Gr8fulDude

You win best screen name at TT.

Just had to let you know.

:)

• Like Like x 1
    4. Have you had your T long?

5. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      If you have only had tinnitus since April then it's unlikely your body has adjusted. Give it another 4-10 months minimum. Habitation doesn't usually kick in until after a year, but it will gradually get easier.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robert44

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I got got T April 24 this year after a loud concert. Didn't wear the earplugs that night. Been playing in bands for over 30 years. I usually wore the earplugs all those years. Just the one time when I didn't and I got it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Ahh that sucks big time Robert :( though Ive heard this from others as well. It will take time but your brain will adjust and you will start sleeping through the night. I used to wake up to the sound of a freight train in my head around 3 am every single night. It was terrifying.

Eventually I got used to T waking me up and didn't react and would go back to sleep. Now if I wake up in the night its due to pain and not T and if I hear my T I just ignore it and go back to sleep..if it's worse from inflammation I put a fan on or tv show.

Give it time. Protect your ears, as I am sure you are now.

Hang in there..

8. Gr8fulDude
      Balanced

Gr8fulDude Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss from loud music and noise
      @Street Spirit - Thank you for the compliment which is appreciated even more coming from a fellow Canadian!

@Robert44 - I have found that meditation can really help when I can't sleep because it still gives the body some much needed rest. Try not to beat yourself up about the concert you saw without your plugs. You probably suffered some degree of hearing loss a while ago from your many years of making and enjoying music. In time you will feel better and habituate more every day. Until then, I hope you can celebrate some of those amazing experiences you've had and know that more musical journeys await you in the years to come. Peace.

9. Oh you're Canadian, didn't notice, cool!!

10. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Instead of a sleep pillow, why don't you get a portable speaker? As it's less intrusive and wouldn't wake you up as much. I recommend this one, it gets great reviews- http://www.johnlewis.com/cambridge-...=402x173188&tmad=c&tmcampid=73&kpid=234092818

Reviews-https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Cambridge+Audio+Go&rlz=1C5CHFA_enGB503GB503&oq=Cambridge+Audio+Go&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-

http://www.whathifi.com/cambridge-audio/go/review

http://www.stuff.tv/cambridge-audio/go-v2/review

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robert44

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      Thanks to all of you who responded with your kind words, comments and suggestions. Appreciated greatly!!!!!

12. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      No problem! Hope it works out for you.