Discussion in 'Support' started by Cor, Mar 19, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Cor

Cor Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey all. My wife and I traveled to the island of St Croix every year for about 2 months to help out her mother that's elderly. About 2 years ago she passed away, and we stopped going the year after that.

In the mean time I developed tinnitus and have a very hard time habituating.

We went back to St Croix in the last 2 months to check up on the house we inherited. We stayed for 2 months again to fix some problems and work with our house sitters there.

The evenings in St Croix are pretty loud. Tons of insects and frogs make a huge jungle type noise around our house. This has made my evenings quite enjoyable, because I can barely hear my tinnitus over it. One insect especially, which i hated before, seems to drown out my tinnitus. This often continued through the day, with my tinnitus being much lower overall, although with the occasional multi-day spikes.

Being back home, in a very quiet suburb of amsterdam, im again surrounded by silence and screaming tinnitus. It feels weird drowning your house in jungle sounds, but im starting to lean towards it :)
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Beckman

Beckman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Just googled St Croix and I gotta be honest that place looks awesome! Must definitely be quite a change coming back to Amsterdam (Where I'm hoping to visit one day) I have the same kind of thing in australia, alot of wildlife around my home and bugs. So I'm very fortunate with that aspect :) Also use to hate crickets, now they calm me like the sound of rain.
    3. Beckman

Beckman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I hope you a speedy habituation or reason to go back to paradise islands ;) Good luck :)
    4. Gill Hayes

Gill Hayes Member Benefactor

North West England
      Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress I think
      I sleep with ocean wave sounds on my iPad at the side of bed but when my T is more bothersome I put my on jungle or cricket sounds and it does the trick !