Happy Ending... Just a Matter of Time

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by R. David, Jul 3, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. R. David

R. David Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2009
      Hello to everyone. I'm actually a "former" tinnitus sufferer in every sense of the terminology. It's been almost 5 years since I first encountered tinnitus at a level that was irritating to me. At that time, this resource was not available, or I did not happen upon it....If I had it would have been a wonderful help to me as I'm sure it is to all of you....At any rate, here's my quick story and I hope that it is an encouragement to all of you out there who are dealing with tinnitus in the early stages.......Having gone through it myself in no small way I'm very happy to report that by the Grace of God which I was given plenty of , and over time which seemed to drag at first, at this point I feel absolutely ZERO negative affects from either Tinnitus or Hyperacusis of which I had both.......For me, the tinnitus didn't go away, nor was it my goal to have it go away. It just bothers me in no way at this point.....Oddly enough the tinnitus has "become" a white noise to me. If I had my druthers at this point I'd rather hear it than not. Initially I was on high alert every minute of the day.
      As I rounded 6 months the tinnitus would lose it's irritating grip on me for a half hour. (This will happen to you...When it does, rest assured that by the Grace of God "You" are now on your way to recovery) You will take two steps forward and one step backward so many times that you will absolutely lose count. But, You are absolutely on your way to 100% recovery.....And I certainly don't mean anything less than 100%. Don't expect much progress the first 6 months. At a year you may be dissapointed still, but trust me, this WILL pass totally....I think at 6 months I had no confidence it would pass, but at 18 months I "knew" it had become totally a matter of disinterest to me....Here's some things that helped me:
      ...I never wished for the sound to go away....Let it linger around until it becomes your friend. And it did for me.......My thinking became "if I'm hearing this now that's great, because the more I hear it the more my antennaes went down...."
      ...Pile white noise on top of it....portable sound generators bringing competing sound worked great for me.
      I didn't avoid sounds....I embraced them....And over time this helped immensely.
      ...As for Hyperacusis, that started a little later, but in the exact same fashion that drifted off into disinterest as well.....Don't fret if this becomes an issue. It in like manner it will just become a non issue for you.
      ...I have to stress this....It just takes TIME.....You can't speed this up. But I'll tell you something else. You can't slow the healing down either.....It WILL HAPPEN. This is a fly in the room you will have to live with for a while, but it will eventually be 100% gone.....Take it from a guy that had it 100% there for quite a while.
      ...I'm praying for all of you out there. THE DAY WILL COME WHEN YOU WILL BE 100%. Nothing less.
      God Bless,

• Like x 29
      • Winner x 10
      • Agree x 5
      • Optimistic x 5
      • Genius x 2
      • Helpful x 1
      • Hug x 1
      • Useful x 1
    2. Rog

Rog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      @R. David Just came from church and feel great . I've been struggling but I know my day of glory will come . So happy for your recovery !!! God bless us all!!!

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. R. David

R. David Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2009
      It will......It absolutely will..........You will be shocked someday when you look back and see how far in the rear view mirror this all is for you.....God Bless.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. billy43
      Lucky

billy43 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/28/13
      R.David.Awesome positive post.with so many great points.thank you

5. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss / ETD
      @R. David Thank you so much for your story. I'm only a few months into this beast of a condition and it is one of the hardest things I have ever had to deal with and will be one of the hardest things to learn to live with. Everyone says it just takes a lot of time and I'm not very good at being patient. Heck, I'm already taking two steps forward and one step back (it just sometimes takes me a while to recover from the step back) and I find it so hard to be positive if I can be positive at all. But it's people like you who give me hope that one day I can hope for myself that it will get better.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. R. David

R. David Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2009
      Derpytia,
      You can absolutely take heart that you are on the road to being whole. You are ahead of schedule.
      I would say that I was at 4 months before I had any such progress. So you are doing great.
      While the progress is always very intermittent, verrrrry seldom will a 3 month period go by where you won't look back and say, "know what, I've got to admit, this occupies less of my time than it did 3 months ago".
      Absolutely keep going through your normal motions of life. Do not let this disrupt your normal outlets and hobbies. Before you know it the normal things you enjoyed doing will root back in and crowd this out. You will be 100%. Not 99%. 100%
      God Bless,
      R. David.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Thank you David,!! It is almost 3 month since I got my T, I am trying to cope, but some days it is hard , I get depressed and have anxiety, now I am having H..i get dizzy all day long , hoping this goes away, did you get dizzy? I can cope with t, but the dizziness get to me..Thank you so much for your post GOD BLESS YOU! keep intouch

8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Thanks, @R.David, I really needed to hear this right now. I have just passed my one year mark with tinnitus. And while I am so much better than before -- I am able to work, travel, do all the things I always have done -- I keep thinking: Why do I still have some days when my tinnitus bothers me? Why do I still have these little anxiety flutters? Will it ever go away? You have reminded me that I must be patient, that every day I am taking steps toward a future where I don't even think about my tinnitus. My audiologist told me it's like having a baby: you see the baby every day, so you don't realize that the baby is growing and changing. But one day, you look: and your baby is a young man or woman.

Your post truly boosted my spirits.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. R. David

R. David Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2009
      To Lady Di:
      I'm very, and I repeat very happy to hear of your progress. I would say that you are right about where I was.
      Which was incrementally better, but the incrementally better just wasn't quite what i was hoping for at one year.
      I can tell you most assuredly,,,,,YES it will go away...Completely....At the one year point let's say you have improved at a rate of this occupying your thoughts 75% of the time vs. 100%.....And the irritation factor has dropped from a 10 to an 8. Extend that out another year at the same progress rate and you can see where this whole thing is going. At a certain point you will be at a Zero and Zero..........It will not get there as fast as you hope, but no way will it take as long as you fear........Those thoughts you are having are so much like the ones I had at one year.
      Now here's a thing that happened to me often at the one year point.....I'd have a good period, and was very hopeful......But there it was back again full blown....And I feared the worst at that point, which was that that was the way it would always be. But, I'm happy to report that no, that will not be the case. It's part of the recovery process.....This whole thing is on a trajectory for you that will take you to a point eventually where you'll be able to lie down on a peaceful night, listen to you tinnitus, and enjoy the sound of it. Just another quick point. I realized after a while that I had probably had tinnitus for many years before I first actually noticed it. This may even be your situation.....The day is coming when you will hear it an pay no attention to it I assure you. You don't need to do anything.........Just keep the faith and give it time. You will get to 100%.....And I do mean 100%. Take it from a guy who's walked in your shoes......I will be praying for you.....
      God Bless,
      R. David

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. R. David

R. David Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2009
      John,
      What you are speaking of in my opinion is just very consistent with how my early stages were. Very. Because of the general stress tinnitus puts on your system other things just kind of start piling up. I can't say specifically that dizziness was a symptom. But boy, I'll tell you, 3 to 4 month interval, that was pretty brutal for me. I asked my Doctor at 4 months as a matter of fact, "Do you have a lot of patients with this?" His answer was Yep. I said well do they ever get used to it?" His answer was "yes, absolutely" I said "well this has been going on for me for 4 months." To which replied in all sincerity "Four Months is Not A very long time" That was a game changer for me.....I realized that I needed to change my paradigm, that people don't see this resolved in 4 months, yet they do see it resolved totally. I'm happy to report that he was 100% correct.......I believe this will be the case for you.
      I truly do....Keep about your every day tasks. They are your homefield advantage. Tinnitus WILL lose it's grip on
      your attention. Other things will start to crowd in and budge it off to the side. When that happens for the first time
      take heart, because it's just the beginning...Right now it's Tinnitus 99.....Other Stuff 1.....The day will come when it will be the reverse of that....And then eventually this issue will be gone Totally........The score changes very slowly.
      But it changes.....You can't speed it up.....but you can't slow it down either. You will recover 100%.
      Keep the faith....
      God Bless,
      R. David.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    11. R. David

R. David Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2009
      And thank you very much...
      God Bless,
      R. David

12. Ken219
      No Mood

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @R. David David you are right. I've there ans been there. Currently in a relapse. I think this was a virus. I had Vertigo too. Vertigo is virtually gone. Now I will work on full habituation. It is only 6 long weeks but time is on my side. David you are a motivator please keep posting. God Bless. Ken

• Like Like x 1
    13. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Thank you @R. David! I just hit 8 months and your story sounds like what happened to me so I am very encouraged. I have short periods of time when I forget about my T-- but when I hear it now it has no power to upset me. I'm co-existing with it--I even named it 'Sylvie.' I live my life, as @Dr. Nagler says, I drive my bus--not Tinnitus. Sometimes I have setbacks and at first they scared me----I have one or two quiet days but then Sylvie is back clamoring for attention. Your post makes me feel so much better--like this is part of healing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. R. David

R. David Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2009
      Thank you Ken.
      Once this stuff has been habituated once, it always happens faster the next time. I think part of that is because now you have actually the first hand experience of having had it pass by the wayside before.
      God Bless,
      R. David.

15. R. David

R. David Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2009
      It ABSOLUTELY is part of the healing Kathi. Co-existing with it is a great way to put it. It sounds like you are quite far along....Probably where I was at 12-14 months........I know you will be totally beyond this at some point.........God Bless
      R. David.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Thank you R David, your post is very uplifting!! not sure from your post, did you have vertigo? I have it all day long, will it go away?, plus I am having H..did this all go away..thanks!Please keep me posted GOD BLESS YOU!

17. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Do you have T in both ears and any hearing loss? How loud was it in the beginning, could you hear it over a shower or faucet running? Thanks for the inspirational post!

18. R. David

R. David Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2009
      I had it in both ears......But the left much louder than the other.......I would say that yes, I could hear it over a faucet.....And I'm listening to it now and it's quite loud.....The key thing is though from my perspective, louder is not a problem.....And mine has been audible every minute of the day since I first discovered it. Now, I really believe that's was much better for me. The constancy of it I believe expedited the process of habituation. Honestly, regardless of how irritating this is in the early months, you eventually just become non-responsive to it. It just loses it's grip on you.....One finger at a time.....The day comes when you're listening to it, you hear it loud and clear, and you couldn't care less.....I feel very bad for everything you all are going thru now, because I know exactly how you feel.....But I KNOW this will not be a problem for you nearly as long as you think........Tinnitus will be history......Keep the faith.....God Bless, R.David.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. R. David

R. David Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2009
      I had vertigo for a brief time.....But I think it was unrelated.....By H.. do you mean hyperacusis. If you meant hyper acusis my answer would be yes.....Definitely.....Because I went to high alert and listened for every thing.
      The onset was later, and the alleviation of it was later than the tinnitus as well....It lagged in both respects.
      But, the good news is that the Hyperacusis absolutely dissipates 100% over time......Absolutely!! Your brain will eventually get bored with being on alert to this......The hard part is biding your time and waiting it all out, because you can't step on the gas pedal and speed this up.....God Bless you I know what you're going thru because the worry of this not clearing up is the worse part.......Set that worry aside.....Trust me, you don't need to worry.
      This will absolutely pass..........TIME.....And, the more you hear it the better, remind yourself of that. Because that's how you habituate and become dissinterested in paying attention to it......Hearing it isn't the problem. The response is the problem......And the more you hear it, the more your response lessens over time. And eventually, you hear it clearly, and you don't respond at all..........Keep the faith. God Bless, R. David.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hi David,
      Thanks for your story. Those keep people alive.
      I have a high-pitched dog whistle in my head. Difficult for me to see how one can habituate to such a sound.
      If I would not mask with high pitched cicadas, I would go crazy.
      9 months in and still every day is a challenge.
      Prayers, Martin

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Awesome success story, David. Thanks for sharing it. Your story is like a beacon of hope and light for those who are still struggling. Very reassuring and well presented. We need more people like you on the board to motivate the newer sufferers to have patience. You and I are in absolute agreement on this - TIME. We must give time enough time to work its magic wand of healing naturally.

22. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hello , just read your blog, I go to Church and I find the music is loud, do you wear ear plugs..let me know. I am thinking about getting custom ear plugs, but a little bit scared, since an I had an audio , 10 weeks ago, I got tinnitus, please let me know ..much appreciated.All the best to you hang in there!

23. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Bless You for sharing this story! You can't imagine how many this will reach and how much joy it will bring :) Thank you

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. R. David

R. David Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2009
      Martin,
      I will absolutely pray for you......Prayer is our secret weapon. I'd like to toss a few thoughts back your way if that's ok....
      ...I used maskers as well as part of my recovery.....They really do work. As will ALL sound that you bring into competition...Here's what was key to me with the maskers, and you may be different. But with me, I would bring the masker sound to the volume level where it would compete with the tinnitus, but never surpass it. My motto whenever I heard the tinnitus was "good, I can hear it, my brain is working on habituating it". I felt like anytime while I was sleeping my brain was gaining on the habituation process. And it was. My tinnitus is very high pitched, very constant as is yours. In the end neither of those factors will matter. It will be high pitched, constant, and MEANINGLESS. I realized into my recovery process that actually I was "picking on" my tinnitus. It wasn't really any worse than the farm machinery that I grew up with that was virtually deafening. That didn't bother me back in the 60's, and truth is the tinnitus was no worse.....This is key. Bring on the sounds. My diagnosis of my own situation was this.......I had tightened down and was less and less tolerant of sounds that i didn't like, and Tinnitus was number 1 on my list.........followed before long with many other sounds that became enemies, which is my definition of Hyperacusis.....So, what I needed to do was to wade back into sounds, to jump back into the pool so to speak....As you do that you start to slowly but surely recover your "elasticity"....Your acceptance of sounds. That to me is the key....Non avoidance........All of us, every one, has the capacity over time to be that guy who can sleep in an apartment next to a superhighway with his window open. But it takes time. Another point i think is key.
      In my earlier stages I listened to the advertisements and testimonials about "tinnitus driving people crazy". So we all buy into that a little bit. But, I realized that if i were really being honest, tinnitus was making me pretty miserable, but that's all it could do even at it's worst. If you look around you'll see that life has gone around pretty much the same those you love around you....And in the end, most of you out there are more intererested in those around you being ok than you are yourselves being 100%. So take heart in that. And the day will come when this experience for you will be ancient history...But by the grace of God you'll have learned something that can help someone you really love. What you consider to be loss today, I believe, will someday be counted gain.
      Your case sounds about like mine...And you sound at this point a lot like I felt then. And I believe whole heartedly that the day will come when your tinnitus will be loud, persistent, and of ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST TO YOU AT ALL......
      God Bless,
      R. David.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    25. R. David

R. David Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2009
      Hi John.
      I go to a Church with Loud Music too. The sound sensitivity for me piled on a short time after the Tinnitus. And it moved out after the tinnitus.....So don't worry about that added component. To answer your questions about ear plugs.....I would definitely not go that route. Before I encountered Tinnitus and Hyperacusis I went to church, listened to loud music, and it didn't bother me.........Then I went into the Tinnitus and Hyperacusis stage and it did......And then by the Grace of God and at the end of the long process that all of us who've recovered have spoken of, it was business as usual.....Loud music, no problem.......Now that takes a while to get back to where you were before this all started. But that's where this whole thing is going, back to the way things were before this all started. Don't make the assumption that this is the new normal....It will pass, and you will return to the old normal. Even the bad memories of it fade.............I've gotta emphasize, this is going to take time, more than you'd like. A lot of waiting and wondering.....But you don't have to do the wondering part of it. You will be 100%. Meanwhile, I would keep wading right into everything you normally do with all of the normal sounds. Your blood pressure will go up a bit yes, but it will stop going up at some point. Oh by the way. At one point I realized also that all of God's Creation has a hum and whir about it. Just open your window right now. That life you hear out there is such a wonderful blessing given to us all. The auditory canal, your heart, your lungs, none of these are silent places in God's creation. They are all part of this buzz of activity He created. I'm very convinced there is a reason for it all......A very good reason.
      God Bless,
      R. David.

• Like Like x 2
    26. R. David

R. David Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2009
      Thank You So Very Much Tenna. I really appreciate your encouragement.
      God Bless
      R. David

27. R. David

R. David Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2009
      Billie,
      If only we could take away the worry at the early stages right Billie. We know that time will habituate the problem.
      It's just the darned worry along the way.
      God Bless,
      R. David.

• Agree Agree x 3
    28. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hello R David, Thank you so much for being a blessing !!, I appreciate your encouragement!!!..Take care..All the best

Will pray that they find a cure for all of soon. Keep in touch!.

29. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Just wanted to ask, I gather from your blog, that you do not wear ear protection, Am I right , let me know ..Thanks

30. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Thank you so much for your encouraging words.
      At the 9 months mark, I still struggle.
      But your story helps me over another day.
      Cannot believe still that T will become a non-issue in my life.
      But since others took much longer, I accept that I need more time.
      As you said, the day will come...
      Thanks again and prayers.