Poll: Has an MRI Spiked Your Tinnitus and/or Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by heartofalioness, Apr 25, 2018.

?

Has an MRI Worsened Your Tinnitus and/or Hyperacusis?

1. Yes, temporarily worsened my tinnitus

2. Yes, permanently worsened my tinnitus

3. Yes, temporarily worsened my hyperacusis

4. Yes, permanently worsened my hyperacusis

5. Yes, temporarily worsened BOTH my tinnitus and hyperacusis

6. Yes, permanently worsened BOTH my tinnitus and hyperacusis

7. No, it had no impact on my tinnitus or hyperacusis

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. heartofalioness

heartofalioness Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and airhorn?
      I think my tinnitus spiked and hyperacusis worsened 3-4 days after I had an MRI. I had earplugs on.

2. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Yes, I didn’t know MRI was loud, I had expensive earplugs I bought to protect from noise, used the foam plug they give you and I put it on wrong.

When I came out I taught I was going to die. My entire head was ringing. Honestly I will not take it again. I'm trying to say healthy now . So I don’t even have to drink any medication, take MRI , have any operation. So afraid of ringing getting louder. Feel better.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      heartofalioness

heartofalioness Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and airhorn?
      Hello! You experienced the ringing all day after it? Did the ringing lower in a matter of days, weeks, or months? I was only able to hear the MRI when I yawned a few times during my time in the machine. I heard the loud sound through my right ear. I was listening to music through earphones after my appointment, and the sound sounded cheap in my ears. Don't know if it was a illusion, cause my phone tends to act weird. It's been 3 months since I had that MRI for my ear sensitivity to sound. So far it's gotten a tad worse. My MRI only showed a sinus infection, and I've been having them and bad allergies since.

My ears seem spiked and muffled a bit right now.

I miss my lowered tinnitus and hidden hyperacusis!

4. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      Around 7~8 percent of peeple have an 10 decibels of hearing loss after the procedure. The sound of MRI is also enough to cause a temporary threshold shift that may or may not be permanent. So the noise is not something comfortable even if people have their ear protection on.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      An MRI can result into temporary or permanent hearing loss. When you are into the tube, if your hearing starts ringing really loud, then you know that's bad. But the way you describe it, you seem to have coped with it pretty well.

6. Tamara

Tamara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I have tinnitus and hyperacusis after MRI. Four years and a half. I didn't have tinnitus and hyperacusis before doing the MRI. I've talked about my case several times here, and I still see people who have done MRI afterwards and keep regretting. People are not to blame because they do not know, but have to search. You will not think doctors know, very few know, only if it is very specialized.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have bad hyperacusis and am considering MRI for a knee issue. They have an "Open MRI". Does anybody know how they compare to regular MRIs in terms of noise? I know they are less claustrophobic, but that's not an issue for me...

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      Never take an MRI! Even if your life may depend on it. There is a good chance that you will get severe hyperacusis, which may eventually do you in anyway. That is being faced with a pretty hopeless dilemma unfortunately, part of living with hyperacusis.

I know that in at least some medical situations a CT scan will do, even if it is not as accurate. That is what I decided when faced with the suggestion by a doctor to have an MRI to check out whether I had a mild stroke once. I refused and had the CT scan. ( BTW, no stroke was discovered)

Marco

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Not in my case. But at the same time I hear a very LOUD tinnitus, I don't think it could go louder than what is.

10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It should be less claustrophobic and maybe somewhat lower, since the magnets and everything wont be as close to your head, and you wont be inside the tube, so less reverberation.. but anyway loud. I think the MRI can be set for a lower resolution, which could men lower volume, but the test is just loud.

11. Gav

Gav Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Open MRI's are quieter than the tunnel ones as the noise is less confined. They are still noisy though.

If you have to go for an MRI, then I'd suggest you get the model name of the MRI unit you are going to use so you can search for it online. If it is quieter than a normal MRI, the manufacturer will be listing this as a key feature in the spec sheet.

I've been referred for a brain scan, which can be especially noisy. After much searching, I've found a clinic with a Toshiba Vantage Titan 1.5T. This has a noise suppressor (magnets are in a vacuum instead of air to limit sound transmission). Max decibel rating of 75db.

There are other models that are quiet as well, e.g. Siemens Quiet Suite and GE's Silent Scan, but I couldn't find a clinic locally with one of these.

Remember also... you can always stop the MRI midway if it feels too loud. You'll know if it's not right for you.

12. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Please tell us about your experience with the Toshiba Vantage Titan 1.5T after you have the scan.

I havent read much about quiet MRIs but I did read that the noise levels also depend on the kind of image quality you want to obtain, and also whether the doctor wants to have 3D images etc.. at any rate, I dont know much about the technical features of MRI machines.

13. Gav

Gav Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Will do. It's in a few weeks, so I'll report back then.

You are correct about image quality and noise levels, which does have me worried. The radiographer told me that even though the Titan unit is very quiet, a brain scan is the noisiest scan they do. I'll be hopping straight out of there if it is...

• Like Like x 1
    14. Gav

Gav Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Okay, so I had the MRI scan yesterday. It was quieter than other MRI units I've tried, but even with two layers of ear protection it was still loud.

They did multiple scans, all with different sounds and tones. Most of these were fine... there was just one jackhammer sounding scan that I felt was on the edge. At a guess, I would say the scanner hit 95 db, possibly 100 db.

It's given me a small T spike, which I'm sure is temporary. I'd use the scanner again if I had no other choice, but I'll be continuing my search for a quieter MRI scanner in the meantime.

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure while doing work on home

I had a brain and neck MRI today using the silent scan. IT WAS NOT SILENT. That name is a monomer. It should be called reduced sound, but most scan sequences were well above 4 decibles over ambient sound. Some were very loud and I was wearing ear plugs along with having them pack the side of my head and ear area with padding to further block the sounds. I don't know how GE can get away with such blatant false advertising.

16. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      It's weird - I had an MRI scan last year and I can't even remember if there was any sound at all, never mind loud sound. I certainly didn't experience any spikes afterwards. I had my scan done at a fancy private hospital so maybe they had some special quiet version? I remember they gave me over-ear protection.

17. vaseto99
      No Mood

vaseto99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fuck if I know
      upload_2019-4-6_23-0-34.png :unsure:

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      why is that the default, you can't use the forum to learn.

19. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Not only that. It encourages people to put in a bogus answer just to see results. Here's the current tally.

upload_2019-4-6_14-41-21.png