Has Anybody Lost Their Appetite and Lost Weight Because of Their Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alfredo17, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Alfredo17
      Batty

Alfredo17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 yr
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Has anybody lost their appetite period and lost weight because of the tinnitus?

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Yes, but I have lost my appetite and weight during times of anxiety, depression or extreme stress — so I really wasn’t surprised when it happened after the onset of tinnitus. My appetite came back after I got a better handle on my anxiety.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Tammy Rowe

Tammy Rowe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle ear infection- otaglia
      Yes. I have been dealing with this for almost a month now. I have lost 7 lbs. So far. The first two weeks I forced food into me. I have slowly begun to have some appetite. Though still not up to par.

4. Helheim
      Angry

Helheim Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Yeah, I dropped like 10% of my body weight in a really short time because I was too stressed to eat. It happens.

5. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Yes the 1st month, I lost 16lbs in total which is not good in a month. I’ve slowly put a bit back on but it’s normal to lose weight if your feeling anxious/depressed. Just keep an eye on it and if your still losing weight go the doctors.

6. Tammy Rowe

Tammy Rowe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle ear infection- otaglia
      Anybody have trouble using the toilet? Like # 2? Like I said above my appetite has gotten better but still not great. Now it seems I cant go.

7. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Oh yes in the first year I lost SO much weight and I am rather on the thin side to begin with. It was the anxiety and stress that burned anything I would eat within minutes. My normal weight is 108 pounds. Back then it was barely 90 pounds and I looked sick. My hair fell out.

Once I got a grip on the anxiety/stress the weight issue went away and I got back to normal.

That is why I stress getting help from your doctor for those issues first.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Yes. I went down 15 lbs in the beginning to just under 100lbs. I'm 5'4" slim to begin with. Past two months on very loud days, no appetite, beyond anything like I have ever experineced, ever. It's more than not feeling hungry or maybe ill, not nausiated. Literally have to force myself to eat as it became apparent I wasn't going to get hungry 2nd day. I noticed 2nd time it happened my t had temporarily stopped and I was fammished. Then T started in again and appetite dwindled back to none..and this has repeated several times...no other symptoms of illness, different food /water (i'm a celiac on gf diet)..makes no difference. I even made fudge one time to see if I would as usual eat too much and didn't even want any of it... I know something is up because that sat out on the counter which in all my life I have never been able to control myself around....

also to Startthrower, had the exact same thing especially in the begiing...loss of hair head, eyebrows. Other body hair too- legs and armpits. Not as bad with head hair now but for a long time it was all over the place like I was on chemo. My leg hair started coming back last fall --I haven't had to shave them in five years and was surprised. It was cold so I didn't bother and then later in the fall half of my left leg hair completely gone again. Right leg not as bad. Until I saw its return, I thought- oh this is what happens as you get older.

9. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Startthrower, know what you mean about anxiety/ doctors. I complained to one and have had my tinnitus labelled /diagnosed as an auditory delusion!

10. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      When my tinnitus first started I lost my appetite and lost a ton of weight due to stress, anxiety and depression. It was unfortunate because I was pregnant but thankfully my baby has grown up perfectly healthy and my appetite has returned to normal.

• Like Like x 1
    11. monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1991 (Low level). Worse Dec 2017 to Now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury (paintball) 1991. 2017 > Onwards Cause? Not sure.
      Yup i lost about 14lbs in weight, but my love of food slowly came back.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I lost 15 kilos in 1 month during my last really bad spike, I was so so stressed. ( I gained most back when my tinnitus returned to its normal level!)

13. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      I also lost about 5 kg in the first few months. I gained it back once I started doing better mentally. Never thought I would say it but I was kind of happy to gain the weight again. I'm rather chubbier and happy than skinnier and anxious and miserable.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I was able to lose a lot of weight during the years Before I got T. Unfortunately, as a result of T, I gained a lot of it back...

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm exactly the same, even though I was skinny I was completely miserable.

16. Evelyne

Evelyne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Yes, my appetite has been non-existent lately. My body begs for food but I can’t bring myself to eat. Too anxious.

17. Alvise
      Lurking

Alvise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acustic Trauma in childhood with onset after 26 years
      in the beginning.
      then everything came back to normal

18. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Oh Laurie...the kitty in your avatar isn't very happy! :) But it sort of shows what we feel like on some days. One day I will post a photo of me now. My hair grew back and my weight is normal again. That happened back in 2002 when in a single day my life was changed forever. I was housebound for about a year.

It was so bad I would only sit in my closet rocking back and forth with this screaming metal sounds in my brain. I remember - just hard to write about now.

Ugg..need to shake that memory off.

19. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Hi Starthrower...ha! the avatar looks better than I feel, sometimes. Yesterday had no tinnitus- does that ever happen to you? A day with none or hardly noticable. Odd that this morning internet was down and just after it came on, it ramped up slowly to the point now that if I ground my dental fillings with a wire to metal it honest to go makes a spark! How can this be delusional when I can see, feel and measure what I am complaining of. I am so sorry to hear about your year too. Very similar to me, had anxiety really bad but I went out sometimes and other bizarre things happened, like a science fiction horror movie. Histamine I think induces this state. HCl in antihistamine cures it. Histamine is well known for causing "psychosis" like symptoms including anxiety and paranoia. Histamine forms I think most often in reaction to an allergen.....dental material????

20. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      Yes, when my T got worse. I forced myself to eat even though I had no appetite, but still ended up at 98lbs. Didn't help that my jaw hurt to eat, or that my metabolism is high and only goes hyper active when I'm severely stressed. Takes a lot of food to support this body.

21. BadratDay
      Insomnious

BadratDay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7 march 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      being a mess of anxiety music too maybe
      Yeah when my tinnitus begun I wasn't able to eat anything for the first four days. I was always in fight or flight mod and it was hard on my body and mind. So I said f////k it and drank a lot of water and while feeling hydrated my appetite got better quick or I guess it was a placebo :)

22. kamil1364

kamil1364 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly noise-induced
      I literally don't eat and I am not hungry at all.

If my brain is stupid enough to create that phantom noise, then it doesn't deserve anything at all, not even food.

• Hug Hug x 1