Has Anybody Noticed a Connection Between Tinnitus and Wheat?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Terface52, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Terface52

Terface52 Guest

Introducing myself... I have had tinnitus for over 20 years. It is mild, in both ears, and mostly caused me a problem in hearing the students when I was working as a high school counselor. I had mentioned it to my primary care physician many years ago, and he didn’t seem too worried, did a “hearing test” with a tuning fork, and said I didn’t have hearing loss! :confused:

So things chugged along until I lost hearing in my right ear suddenly in March 2018. Since then, I have been misdiagnosed with Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and Meniere’s Disease, and ultimately diagnosed with Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops, possibly caused by a latent virus. The condition could have been treated early, except for the misdiagnosis, so it was six months before I was referred to an expert in inner ear diseases. I have a mild to profound hearing loss in one ear, and although I wear a hearing aid, my word-recognition score is so low, it doesn’t help with understanding what people are saying. My other ear is fine, so it’s not a huge issue right now.

Here’s my question for the group: has anyone found a link between wheat and tinnitus? I recently began a specialized elimination diet (FODMAP) for an unrelated issue, and noticed a slight decrease in the tinnitus when I began it four days ago. Anyone else have this happen?

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      No.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. foam

foam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm someone that's had celiac disease, if you are suspicious it's doing bad things to you, you can get the gene test and if it's positive it would be best to just not eat it.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Terface52

Terface52 Guest

What gene test are you referring to? I don’t have celiac disease—I was tested for that. Is it for gluten sensitivity?

5. foam

foam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There's specific genes that enable you to become celiac. When they test to see if you have celiac disease it's often only the blood test... (some doctors will order both the blood and gene test).. The blood test which if you test above a certain amount of antibodies against gluten they say you have celiac disease. But IMHO if you have any of the genes let alone a double pair you shouldn't be eating gluten.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Terface52

Terface52 Guest

Thank you.

7. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      No.

8. Petey
      Amazed

Petey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30 plus years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello,

I have had many levels of ringing to mild crickets in both ears for many years. I also have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.

After much reading about gluten/wheat, I decided to quit eating it for the benefits others have had with inflammation/arthritis. Three weeks in and I noticed that the tinnitus went nearly completely away. At times it is completely gone. I have completed 4 weeks now and the arthritis has improved and the tinnitus relief was a very unexpected consequence. Only very slight ringing now.

I will now try to dial in/isolate perhaps another food/chemical trigger that caused me to go with zero to a slight amount of ringing... any other stories?

9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Amazing.

What does your audiogram look like?

Are you taking anything for your rheumatoid in relation to immune modulation?

10. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      A dear friend of mine recently learnt she may have cochlear hydrops.

I think her doctor suspects it is autoimmune driven.

She has responded favorably to low dose naltrexone.

11. BILZER

BILZER Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline
      Gluten is very bad and clogs up your gut. Your gut and your ear and tied together. I suggest going gluten free for a few months and see if that helps you.

12. Petey
      Amazed

Petey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30 plus years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello,

I did not know where to post this to do the most good.

I have had tinnitus for many years from crickets to whirring sounds. Level 7-8?

I was able to bring it to basically zero thru diet modification. I hope this may help others. I follow Dr Joel Wallach's recommendations. I eliminated all wheat, rye, oats, barley from my diet. Not easy but doable. He also advises not to eat any oils... any. So, I have slowly eliminated these parts of my diet. No fried anything... bake or broil only.

I follow this diet to help minimize the affects of arthritis. It has helped tremendously. I am not taking any medication for the arthritis. As a surprise consequence my tinnitus went away during the first 3 weeks of the elimination diet. I have tested the method by trying a small amount of oil from a can of sardines/smoked oysters/bottle hot pepper oil and yes it will cause mainly the left ear to ring at a low level after 6-18 hours of ingestion and will dissipate to close to zero after 24-36 hours of ringing onset.

TRY this. Eliminate all wheat, rye, oats, barley and all oils (butter is good) from your diet.

Best wishes,
      Petey

13. Maria Francesca

Maria Francesca Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      drug-induced peripheral neuropathy
      Thank you for posting this, I also have an autoimmune condition, I will try this elimination diet.