Has Anyone Been to NYC with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jamie m, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Hello everyone!

I have had my T for 7 weeks, I have been getting everyday with just accepting it. Of course I have my setbacks ( no beer :( ) but I'm handling it a lot better then the first week. Bad bad bad. It still sucks but I know I could have far worse things happen to me in life then this. Right now it's mild but I'm going to New York next week with my boyfriend, I just got custom
      Ear plugs around 20-25 Reduction, I just don't want to make this worse. I will wear them in the streets and subways and depending on the restaurant. We are going to a comedy club ( any Louis CK fans out there?) but what is the risk I have for making it worse. I only wear earplugs in church ( music is loud) but my ears are pretty find with everything else around it. Has any one been to NYC? I'm just scared I will get a perm spike.

Thanks for any tips

Jamie

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Did the plugs come with a cord to wear around your neck? When I first got the plugs, I kept them in the keychain carrier that came with it, but sometimes I got too lazy and would just cover my ears if a sudden sound erupted instead of taking the minute to take them out and insert them. So I use the cord now, just for certain situations.

Also, if anything at all makes you feel, intuitively, like it's too loud as it's happening, TRUST YOUR INTUITION, and excuse yourself from the situation till the noise level has dropped.

NYC is a really fun place. Part of the fun is the continual excitement and bustle. BUT, that's also why you need to be ready with those plugs. It's a city full of noises. I think if you have the plugs at-the-ready, you will do fine.

ENJOY!

3. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      I've been twice since I got tinnitus. I did just fine both times with no increase. Just don't stress about it and you will be fine!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      @Michael2013 thanks did you wear ear plugs when walking in the streets?
      @Path Maker I got fitted for them and I should have them by Monday or Tuesday! I think I get a case but I can also make a cute little fashionable necklace for that. Thanks for the tip!! My thing is when is it too loud? And for how long?

I blow dry my hair every day for 5 mins or so and its 85-90 dbs. No affect on T. Bc it's such a short time.

5. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      I did not wear ear plugs at all. It is loud and there is a lot of honking, but it did not bother me.

I was also at Derek Jeter's last home game in Yankee Stadium and that was LOUD! But a game I'll never forget!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Jamie, personally, I would just keep them in during anything noisy. I actually wear them here when I use the blow dryer, the vacuum, etc. It's no real hassle and I figure the protective value is important. Because maybe we damage our ears over time, cumulatively, and then when something trips that lever, we develop tinnitus. The same way a person can eat saturated fat foods for decades and then one day just have a massive heart attack "seemingly out of the blue." So with this in mind, why not just pop them in whenever you know you're going to be in an environment with louder sounds than normal conversation? Just to be on the safe side? You'll still hear everything. Just in a protected way. :)

I also have thought this out based on people here who tell stories of how they had milder tinnitus for years and had coped well, and then didn't protect their ears and it got worse. I take this to mean, once you get tinnitus, it means your body (ears) has already given the wake-up call.

Yes, it DOES mean that this is something we need to be aware of and take precautions for life. I'm taking it that way. Carrying earplugs is never something I had to do (I'm someone who doesn't like to even carry a pocketbook or wear jewelry! :) Just let me be freeeeeeee ... ha ha!!).

Well, I am now "Me Who Will Carry Earplugs Everywhere Forever."

Which is way easier than many people have it, and so be it!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Scarlet

Scarlet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/22/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I lived in NYC for over a decade and never had a problem with T. It's only since I moved to a much more quiet, suburban area that it's all of a sudden developed.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Thank you guys for your responses! I'm going to enjoy but be cautious around noisy situations!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      And DO have a great time!! New York City is amazing!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Thanks! @Path Maker I'm hoping the man pops the question.... If I post pictures with no ring then you know Hahaha :D

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      NYC is where I proposed to my wife 13 years ago! Good luck! :)

• Like Like x 2
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I hope I'm lucky! Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Let's just say that I hope you get a ring on your finger and NO ring in your ears! :)

• Like Like x 2
    15. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

Watch out for those sound cannons! (Stay away from protests lol)

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      @Blackbird26 oh yes, I won't have time for that! I'll be either doing tourists things or eating! I'm going to wear plugs while I'm walking in the streets for sure no matter what!

• Like Like x 2
    17. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      I go to NYC with tinnitus everyday. I live in Chelsea in Manhattan. You'll be fine. I do nothing to protect my ears, and I've never had a problem. Good luck.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      How can you say NYC didn't make you more susceptible to tinnitus? Good luck.

19. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      Don't know. Is there some evidence that there are increased amounts of tinnitus specifically in NYC relative to the rest of the US, or the world? What about Philadelphia? It's loud there. (Also the city I was living in when I first developed tinnitus). What about Chicago? LA? Houston or Atlanta? NYC is loud. That I agree with. But I never notice on a daily basis (and I live in Chelsea and work in midtown) any long term dangerously loud sounds that I deal with. There are cars and people, and occasional construction. But it's not anything that I've ever felt caused me any problem. And even if you're walking past some loud construction, it's never for more than a few seconds while you're going to your next destination. I've dealt with tinnitus for over a decade. And lived for 2 years in NYC. I've always felt that my tinnitus started from my ETD issues, and never so felt that the noise of NYC was a problem.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      If you want to carry earplugs with you in case they're necessary, that's probably not a bad idea. But it's doubtful under most circumstances that you'll need them. Go hang out in Central Park. It's plenty peaceful there. (except for all the tourists). :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      @eric peterson yeah I'll just hold them in my purse and I do apologize but I'll be one of those crazy tourists taking tons of pictures! :p And I'm staying right next to Central Park at one of the hotels so I'm super excited!!! Thanks for the tips!

22. Andunwoody
      Fine

Andunwoody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Left ear Otosclerosis, right ear virus.
      I went to NYC just before Christmas with no problems. Since then as well as the T, I have been diagnosed with Ménière's. I am going to NYC again in ten days time. I live in England so also have a 7+ hour flight factored into the mix. Go live your life.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi, @Jamie m

I agree with @eric peterson (FYI, Eric, that is so cool you live in Chelsea, near the High Line, its a great neighborhood, I often stay there). While I am not a NYC resident, I visit frequently. All large cities are noisier than small ones, obviously. But I don't think there is anything about NYC that is particularly ototoxic. Hey, the loudest city I have encountered is Florence, Italy. As all have said, get good quality plugs, take them with you everywhere, but don't overdo it.

Most important thing is: Don't let being nervous about tinnitus diminish what is going to be a fabulous trip! NYC truly is a world destination and an amazing place. Here's hoping your guy puts a ring on it!

Oh, and just in case, you might consider taking some NAC (n-acetylcysteine) daily while you are there. About 1000-1200 mg daily should do it. It's an amino acid and anti-oxident that supposedly helps protect the neurological system. It is used to counteract all kinds of medical outcomes, including damage to nerve cells. While there are no extensive research studies that prove it works re. tinnitus, many people, including me, take it immediately prior or immediately after noise exposure. You can buy it in most health food stores. I always carry some with me on trips. Here is a TT thread on it, and there are others. I like the capsules but there is powder, too.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/n-acetylcysteine-nac.395/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      @LadyDi thanks I hope so too!! So I have never heard of NAC? So I already take b12 along with calc zinc and mag. Thanks for the tips!
      @Andunwoody yeah I'm super excited! Have fun in New York too!!

25. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      have fun. nyc is great in the springtime...

• Like Like x 1
    26. _Chris

_Chris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      medication?
      I spent a week in DC and NYC back in January. Tinnitus was weighing heavily on my mind, as I got it less than a month prior. I was initially cautious about travel, but my flight out didn't affect it, so I was less worried. I didn't feel concerned about noise while in NYC; I spent a lot of time walking, on the subway and buses, and in restaurants and shops. While traveling I also ended up disregarding those suggestions about avoiding caffeine and alcohol -- treading rather carefully -- but I ended up having no problems with modest amounts. Also, my return flight home was cancelled, and I was rerouted home very indirectly through 3 cities with over 8 hours flying time. In spite of all this, by the time I got home it seemed like the tinnitus had almost cleared up... I could only hear it in near total silence. It was only after I was back home for a week that it returned.