Has Anyone Had Ultra High Frequency Tinnitus Soften or Change?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michellejean, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      Curious if anyone’s had piercing sharp high pitched tinnitus fade into a lesser evil? My tinnitus in right ear is so ultra high pitched I can hear it over everything.

Will this ever fade or tone down a bit?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. J.Hartog
      Worried

J.Hartog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      Mine is either a very high pitch >15khz tone or it changes into static high pitch hiss, the first one is actually easier to mask. Still a mystery why it changes from one day to the next...

The static hiss is really intrusive and can be heard above most sounds... Mine only changed into louder in both but thats due to meds :(

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. housemzk

housemzk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussions, wisdom teeth removal, neck, jaw, stress, noise?
      For me, yes. I have a high pitched pulsing sound (every half second ping/tap?)that sounds like a bug zapper since Jan 2018. Unable to mask and I can hear it everywhere, including the shower, toilet flush, or near a busy intersection. Used to be 4 or 5 days a week, but has slowly faded to 2 days a week now. The remaining days now are a constant high pitch hiss. When 1st inflicted I was dealing with a 9100hz constant tone along with the bug zapper sound. Over time the constant tone has turned into a hiss which is far more manageable right now and my life is slowly adjusting back to way it was.

Time seems to be the best healer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. RoeTaKa
      Creative

RoeTaKa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music/Somatic?
      It's difficult to say if yours will change due to the unknown nature. Definitely try to narrow that down, the more insight you have to why it came might give you a better understanding of how you might be able to improve it.

My tinnitus was high pitched and loud in my left ear for 3 months, it got to the point where I had enough of worrying and not living my life where I just started to accept it and figure out how to live comfortably and do what I normally do. I found sounds to mask and I carried on doing things I used to, as well as: get back into exercise, change my diet, get used to normal sounds again and do some blood to brain excercises/yoga. Eventually my ringing started to fade and I would stop masking as much. It wasn't so much a case of "how much can I hear my tinnitus?" but "oh this is nice, I can mask less and not hear it".

Due to a recent spike I'm reminded more than ever that I have to keep up this lifestyle. It was so nice to feel normal again, or as normal as possible, and I'm sort of at that point again. But I don't want to go through harsh spikes again if I can do anything to prevent it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      My T is in that high range also. Ranging from 12-15k. It goes up and down depending on how it's wanting to annoy me at any one time. :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @RoeTaKa I'm dealing with a spike right now too. My tinnitus used to be a low pitched constant tone now it’s ultra high. I’m so glad you’re getting back to normal. How long did your spike last?

7. RoeTaKa
      Creative

RoeTaKa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music/Somatic?
      After my initial onset of tinnitus I had a two week spike back in October that was high pitched and annoying, all I really remember was finding it difficult to relax but life carried on 100% and that was that, things went back to normal.

My recent one happened at the start of June and carried on until at least early July. I had a lot of trouble with it because of anxiety I had and also not taking care of myself very well, I'd focus on it a lot and ask questions like "is this as bad as when my tinnitus started?" and "has my baseline gotten worse?". I'm pretty sure now that the majority of this battle was a psychological one, most of July felt like I was learning to live with tinnitus all over again. I've done most of what I can to physically be in a good place where tinnitus symptoms could lessen, but now I'm ok and living well with the tinnitus I have which doesn't feel intrusive anymore.

I don't know if that's habituation, they say it's when you can still hear it and it doesn't bother you. That's how I feel for the most part now but you wouldn't find be sitting in an absolute quiet room going "This is fine!". My brain needs stuff to do and in the lack of stuff to do it'll find a way to do that, and it sure likes to make a meal of tinnitus.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @RoeTaKa

I totally understand those questions, where I have terrible anxiety now and wondered how long I felt like this in the beginning. My anxiety had gone completely just had bouts of depression but now I’m anxious again with worry and fear.

I am worried this spike will stay and I won’t be able to get back to where I was before this happened. I’m worried I won’t habituate to these new sounds. I was 50% there before now I feel like I’m at the onset again..

What caused your spikes?

9. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Tinnitus usually gets worse over time.

• Creative Creative x 1
    10. RoeTaKa
      Creative

RoeTaKa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music/Somatic?
      My October spike I actually have no idea, never really gave it much thought. Very possibly stress from work and some people. My recent spike I would assume came from the large bouts of anxiety and depression I was dealing with, along with bad eating habits, zero exercise and not really getting a lot done. The spike actually made me tackle the anxiety and depression head on, I'm not really one to take meds if I don't have to...being in control is something I am very adamant about.

A lot of peoples' experiences here are spikes do go and do not usually leave baggage. Tinnitus may get worse over time @dan but there are different kinds and it's different for some. But the best medicine is to choose life and take care of your body, and deal with it the best you can, then one day you might notice things have gotten better and it won't be the "oh wow!" moment you thought it would be because you stopped caring a while ago - though it feels nice to know you get a little more peace.

11. Dr. Jay Hobbs
      Studious

Dr. Jay Hobbs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Blessed to not have...often
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NA
      Super high frequency tinnitus is less common, but, in my experience, it responds to to generally-effective therapies as well as other frequencies. So far we haven't found that the high-freq. T is more often associated with improvement with one therapy more often than another. That is to say, the frequency (so far) does not help predict the most appropriate treatment.

12. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure while doing work on home
      Thankfully this isn't true in the vast majority of cases. 98 percent remain stable and about 75% of cases go away due to spontaneous recovery or habituation. For those with underlying health causes, like Mieneres disease, then that answer would likely be accurate.

In situations where people are suffering and anxious, accurate information is best.

Citations:
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2686891/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAOegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw3cUy7j3kszkpq22peuFuUb

• Like Like x 1
    13. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      I had it, like 3 times, once it was 2 weeks, then 1 week, then 3 weeks. But it always disappear.

Actually... Anxyolitics really help for these ones. I don't know why.

14. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Not always. My tinnitus is nothing compared to what it was last year at this time. The intensity and volume have dramatically reduced. Before it was one constant relentless tone. I would rate it as severe. Now I have 50% mild tinnitus days, and 50% moderate. It has slowly been improving with time. I'm almost 16 months in.

• Like Like x 2
    15. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Is high frequency the same as high pitch? Is it often associated with high volume?

If it is, I have all of that. I don't know what the numerical value of the frequency is but it's high enough that I want to commit suicide.

16. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      Mine is at 14kHz unilateral on the left ear (which is the ear that got exposed to the trauma), it used to be a very loud dentist drill sound, then it faded into a tea kettle noise, then got to a milder tea kettle noise with a small hiss, finally since yesterday it got to a barely audible hiss that I only ear using earplugs/earmuffs, all this over the course of 2 months.

The only reason it decreased that much is because I kept wearing ear protections everytime I am outside the house or outside my workplace (my workplace is pretty silent), I still do, I will keep doing so until at least October, to let my ears heal and avoid any relapse, I will also avoid loud noise exposures for the rest of my life, because, let's face it, I rather do that and keep being a potentially tinnitus free fully functioning individual, than risking debilitating severe tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      You can't possibly know that that's what lowered it. It might as well just have been natural healing that would have happened regardless. Many people experience tinnitus naturally lowering in the first few months, without protection.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am fairly certain it wouldn't have healed as fast or as much if I kept exposing myself to loud noises, especially as in my case, my tinnitus is noise induced to begin with. If you don't provide the opportunity for your ear to rest and heal, it won't, or at the very least, not efficiently.

19. Elliott.S
      Doubtful

Elliott.S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music practice - Attending loud concerts
      Hi Mathieu, I would definitely answer in French, that'd be easier, but that wouldn't be nice for the other members ^^ I've had T for 15 years now, and it definitely got worse overtime, with new tones adding, although I'm very careful protecting my ears.
      I have no underlying health issue, no Meniere, etc.
      Oveprotecting your ears in might have helped your case, as much as it may have not. Some spikes that I faced faded with time when I didn't overprotect (I'm talking about overprotection, not normal protection that anyone should apply in loud circumstances). Usually, I used to overprotect at first, but I noticed that it would only bring hyperacusis in, making the T more reactive.
      It is pretty hard to deal with severe T and overprotection is not always the key, from my experience.

• Like Like x 1
    20. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I don't agree that that's the case always. I know of several who had tinnitus reduce or get better and they didn't plug up, other then around loudish settings.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      When did you start to see the first improvements?

22. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I didn't see any improvement until the 8 month mark. I'm 19 months in, and it still continues to improve, but very slowly.

23. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      Okay. Did you do anything differently to see improvements? I am at the 9 month mark and sadly no improvements for me! :(

24. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      Yes, I had high frequency tinnitus coming and going. It's been now a 1 month and half since it's gone. It was between 12 kHz and 14 kHz.

For that kind of tinnitus, I find benzodiazepine helpful.

25. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      No, I didn't do anything at that time to cause the changes. In the last 3 months I have been going for electro acupuncture treatments which seem to have lowered the volume and intensity. Hang in there. One day I just happened to wake up after 8 months, and I could barely notice my tinnitus. It was back the next day. Right now I'm stuck in a pattern of moderate tinnitus one day, and mild the next. I hope in time it will just be mild, or disappear entirely. Mind you that my tinnitus was rather severe to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. Rogi Cetpla
      Frustrated

Rogi Cetpla Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      T 2010 / IT 2015 / VIT 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure / Head trauma
      Hi @Mathieulh,

My post is not related to this thread.

Even though I have had tinnitus for almost 10 years I have only recently joined.. .this due to the fact that my tinnitus has reached on all together level...

Anyway, like most of us here I am looking at everything and searching everywhere for a solution... I have just come across an interview on YouTube by Alain Londero a French ENT surgeon based in Paris who seems to run a Tinnitus and Hyperacusis clinic. He seems to be working on a new technique based on virtual reality... I see that you are French and live in Paris... I just wondered if you had ever heard of him or even maybe consulted him... Thanks for letting me know.

27. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have an appointment with him next March. I will see how it goes.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    28. Rogi Cetpla
      Frustrated

Rogi Cetpla Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      T 2010 / IT 2015 / VIT 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure / Head trauma
      Great! Hang in there until then... Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like Like x 1