Has Anyone Taken Decadron/Dexamethasone for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ringeee, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Ringeee

Ringeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I was just prescribed a course of Decadron (Dexamethasone) to help my tinnitus after a loud noise exposure. Curious if anyone has had any experience with it as well?

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      My dexamethasone treatments were administered via injections right into my eardrums.

I went to Korea twice for a stem cell/growth factor treatment for my hearing loss and tinnitus and both times I experienced acoustic traumas.
      The first time it was from a parade of protestors making a big fuss about dog and cat meat slaughter and the leader of the protest pointed his megaphone right at me and shouted the chant.

The next day at the clinic I told the doctor about it and he immediately gave me a shot of dexamethasone and my spike subsided by the next day.

The second one was when I was there the second time about 3 months later (after yet another acoustic trauma caused by a loud smootch on my ear that didn't subside on its own) and I was busy on my computer doing work and foolishly sat next to a very loud laundry machine for about 40 minutes and the spin cycle was horrendously loud but I was so caught up in my work that I didn't pay any attention to it and my ear facing it was ringing loudly immediately afterwards.

The next day I told the doctor about this and he gave me some dexamethasone for a few days.

It's hard to tell whether that, or the other part of my treatments were responsible for where I am now but I am very happy with my improvements. The doctor that operated on me seemed to really know what he was doing and referred to dexamethasone as a "magic drug".

He also told me that he had used periodic dexamethasone injections to treat his Meniere's patients, and this claim is backed up by this study:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2090074016300068
      "Intratympanic dexamethasone for Meniere’s disease is very satisfactory if medical treatment fails."

3. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      If the exposure just occurred, start taking it now. Don't be dumb and wait. If it has been more than 30 days then there is no point. If it's only been a week or so get on it.