Has Anyone Tried the Antidepressant Agomelatine (Valdoxan, Melitor, Thymanax)? Effect on Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zenyatta, Jun 15, 2017.

?

Have you tried agomelatine? Did it aggravate your tinnitus?

1. Nope, haven't tried it.

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Yep, I've tried it and it made my tinnitus better.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yep, I've tried it and it made my tinnitus worse.

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Yep, I've tried it and it had no effect on my tinnitus.

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Other (explain in comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    1. Zenyatta
      Depressed

Zenyatta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/2017(spike)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Ear-tooth infection
      Hi y'all. I am highly suicidal and desperately need to sleep, so my doctor prescribed me this antidepressant - apparently it's melatonergic and it should make you sleep better. It's supposed to be without the usual side effects of SSRIs (like... I don't know, tinnitus? :| ), but I'm highly suspicious of anything at this point. Has anyone here tried it? Did it affect your T at all? If so, how?

Any info is welcome!

(Ugh, two posts on the main support board in two days, how awkward. Sorry, ladies and gentlemen. I promise I'll stop soon.)

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hey, I can't get it in the U.S. but after researching on it, I think it might help me. I believe I have a circadian rhythm disorder that causes many of my mood fluctuations. For example, sometimes when it is night time I go outside and it is dark and I can be fairly calm but when I come inside and exposed to bright lights I can have mixed states of mind. The past year I have had fluctuating tinnitus and I wonder if this would help. I think there would be a greater chance of this helping someone with fluctuating tinnitus more than someone who has steady tinnitus. Did the drug end up helping you?

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll be interested to know what you end up deciding about this drug, @Zenyatta -- it is quite new, and pretty novel (unlike other drugs), so there are a lot of questions about it.

Melatonin (N-acetyl-5-methoxy tryptamine) is chemically very similar to serotonin (5-hydroxy-tryptamine), and they likely share a lot of metabolic pathways for synthesis and breakdown. So, it makes sense to me to target this receptor with drugs like this, since serotonin and sleep quality are both known to interact with depression severity. I'm actually sort of curious to try this one myself, but I don't have any useful information for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I would like to try it also. Unfortunately, I live in the U.S. which hasn't approved it...plus if it did it would probably be very expensive since there is no generic. I wish there were fair price limits set on drugs in the U.S. and they would approve drugs if several other countries did so.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs which aren't scheduled in the US and which aren't available in the US, are legal to import for personal use. You may have a hard time finding a pharmacy which will send you actual pharmaceutical pills without a prescription, but...
      https://www.ceretropic.com/agomelatine-powder

Just sayin'. I've used Ceretropic in the past, but, as with all things, do your own research, and probably don't start consuming powders from places like Ceretropic unless you're able to get a GC/MS analysis of the product done (this is what I did in the past when I was using Ceretropic fasoracetam -- have a buddy who works in a chemical lab).

6. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hey Zenyatta, I was curious how you were doing and if that medication helped any. Irregardless if the medication worked, I hope things are a lot better now for you.

7. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      I have been on this medication now for the last 2 weeks. So far there has been no real noticeable bad side effects but I have slept a lot better on it. It has not noticeably changed my Tinnitus, but being able to sleep better has helped overall. I'm on 25mg and plan to stay on it :). If anybody plans to try it, just keep in mind its quite expensive!

8. Alex1515

Alex1515 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meds
      for how long did you take it? And did it have an impact on your tinnitus?