Has Anything Helped Improve Your Tinnitus Distress?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bazan, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Bazan

Bazan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So it has been 9 months, since my very mild tinnitus became loud and intrusive due to an ear infection and it's been pure hell, chronic anxiety, the worst depression ever, needed to have 4 months off work.

I am definitely feeling a lot calmer today but still suffering to a lesser extent, mindfulness has been helping but I practice twice a day, I've just got WNG's, day 3 with them so too early to see any results, I am also seeing a psychologist doing CBT and taking antidepressants.

As you see it has been a fxxkin rough ride, probably the worst 9 months of my 45 years on this planet!

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Bazan,
      You're getting the right support.

Are you having TRT or CBT to support your use of White Noise Generators or just left to your own devices with them?

love glynis x

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bazan

Bazan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @glynis my next appointment with hearing theapist is in 3 months time so I guessing I’m left to my own devices....

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Bazan,
      Set them below your tinnitus in the morning and don't touch them again till pull them out at night.
      love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Bazan

We have corresponded many times and I recently discussed with you, the wearing of WNGs and TRT treatment. My advice to you, is not to visit tinnitus forums too often and believe it would be better to stay away from them completely. If you must attend try to refrain from mentioning your treatment. Give your auditory system the chance to get accustomed to the white noise generators and for your stress and anxiety to subside.

I wish you well.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    6. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      Hello Bazan,

Sorry to see you have suffered for 9 months. I suffered greatly with anxiety for 2, and began Trt. My anxiety droppped significantly at that point in time.

There is the anxiety of T, and the annoyance of T. The anxiety has to go first. Adding to what Glynis said, I was instructed to sit in a quiet room each morning and adjust the WNG on the side that had the loudest T first. Adjust it just below your T. This is somewhat subjective but you will get the hang of it. Then adjust the other side so that the white noise sounds about the same level.

It can take awhile to get used to the WNGs. Tell yourself that you are doing something positive, you expect a positive outcome, and take your life back. Sometimes it seems like the oddest thing walking around with T and white noise going all the time, but by going about your business and forgetting about the sounds you are programming your brain that they are not important. Eventually you should find that your anxiety about the T sounds starts to go away, and you may even lower the WNG levels as this happens. Best wishes as you progress, and remember you are taking positive steps, and progress will be month to month and slow, the most important thing is to try to get the anxiety under control at this time. Counseling and/or medication were helpful for me during my struggles.

Trebor

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 2
    7. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Vodka

8. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      No

9. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I still cant accept the fact that I pissed my life away, it is unbelievable just last year during this time I was a healthy 27 year old planning his life ahead, now I am a pessimistic 28 year old whose T ruined all his dreams and hopes. All the hard work, all the studying, was for nothing. I am only 28 and it just dosent feel right for life to end so suddenly. I wonder what/where I would be right now If i had no tinnitus, hyperacusis, visual snow, eye floaters, etc. I think I would be a happy and successful young man, who like other people his age would travel, plan a family, etc. Every day I wake up hoping that the old life would come back but I know it wont, the feeling that all is lost makes my eyes tears up. A couple of days ago I went to a resturant (not loud) for a bday celebration and I could hear my T over people's voices. I wish I was 70 years old right now with T that would be amazing. When you get this at a young age you are pretty much done. My life has permanently damaged and altered in ways I have never dreamt of before. If somewone told me what would happen to me and where I would be in 2018 3, 5, 6 years ago I would tell them that they are crazy. I really hope those treatments hit the market soon so I can resume my life where I left off (September 23, 2017). I want to make up for the all the time lost by doing this that I didnt have a chance to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    10. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yep.

Attached Files:

11. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Have hope. There are 3 companies that have gotten about $130 Million dollars in funding in less than a year to help us get cured.

https://www.xconomy.com/boston/2018...secures-50m-for-hearing-loss-gene-therapy-rd/

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...peutics-Announces-32-Million-Series-Financing

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...erapeutics-Closes-55-Million-Series-Financing

These companies are all working on newly discovered techniques to regenerate damaged parts of the inner ear. This may be a completely new era in medical technology and so far it looks like they may be on the road to success.
      Although it may be several years for Decibel TX and Akouos the company in the second link is already in phase 2 clinical trials and they may have their treatment available within the next couple of years. These treatments are aimed at curing hearing loss, they may cure some forms of T and Hyperacusis, it may not. I think if your T is caused by hearing damage/loss, then it will cure shitnitus. Regardless progress is being made. We're all in this together.

• Like Like x 2
    12. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      As someone who has intrusive/loud tinnitus and -80db hearing loss in 4-8ks range....I can say that we can still live our lives, no matter how intrusive or mild the tinnitus is. It all depends on the individual and their attitude. Tinnitus can be a setback indeed, it can change things quite a bit.

Here is my blueprint for tinnitus:

The Key to this is to First accept the situation. I accept that hell rings in my head 24-7. Acceptance is HUGE when it comes to life.

Second, control your raw emotions. Anger, constant negativity will NEVER help you out in this situation. I use to get SO emotional over this. I'd say "WHY ME". All this anger simply raised the volume of my tinnitus and had tinnitus control me.

Tinnitus is something that comes from the brain/mind. Anger tends to disrupt how the mind flows and this is not going to help at all.

Third, make a plan/ create a routine. Create a plan that helps you and your tinnitus. It can be any plan as long as it does not cause you more stress.

Fourth, stick with the plan. Take small steps, each and every day. Those small steps eventually lead to a huge accomplishment.

Tinnitus can be a life long ordeal. So we have to have a plan for our lives and try to remain positive. This philosophy has carried me 30 years while living with this demon.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      but not everyone is the same. Some person can go through a lot in life and still keep his head high, others cant. We all have different pain thresholds.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bazan

Bazan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for all your advice, it’s means a lot I just hope to get to a place where I have peace of mind and not be in a constant state of anxiety and depression

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are right. I started to drink a lot now because of T.

16. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      CBT therapy aimed at tinnitus distress, the Back To Silence method (video can be found on Success Stories), many of the posts by some knowledgeable and compassionate TT members, and meeting several people who have tinnitus and handle it well, have all been helpful at times.

17. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      A combination lately of a little bit of lithium orotate at night and Lamictal the next day is helping me a lot lately.