Has Melatonin Calmed You Down Some at Night in Regards to Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, May 6, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Basically, what I am asking is does it mellow you out and help you to get to sleep? If it decreases your tinnitus as well, please tell.

2. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Hi. Once I thought it helped. However I stopped taking melatonine cause if I take it I have interrupted sleep. Otherwise I really don't see any effect on me whatsoever. I still have a box of it at the bed and I pop some from time to time, but I mostly stick to herbal pills and hydroxizine.

• Like Like x 1
    3. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Magnesium helps me relax. 200g half an hour before bed. Excercise also helps you relax. I personally will not put any crap in my body unless I absolutely have to. The most important thing with T us to get your nervous under control.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nah, it's not really a sedative, at all, and the mechanism by which it decreases time to sleep onset is not especially well understood.

I did a series of escalation experiments with it when I was young and more foolish; my bleary memory is that taking 15-20mg in an afternoon produced something slightly akin to sedation, but I don't recommend it.

5. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      No poll this time? :)
      Melatonin has a very mild effect on me, i take it sometimes when i'm tired but my brain is still not into sleeping mode

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. Gr8fulDude
      Balanced

Gr8fulDude Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      I tried melatonin, valarian and magnesium. I found the magnesium helped me relax. Not sure if valarian or melatonin helped. I agree that exercise makes a difference. But I really found deep breathing and meditation were most helpful.

7. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      That is interesting. I take melatonin a lot and it really helps me relax but I take magnesium glycinate for regular bowel movements. Maybe the magnesium is partly relaxing me and I don't know it.

8. fishbone
      Happy

fishbone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I was using melatonin for about 8 months straight and before that some other stuff. It had no affect on my T, it was a hit and miss when it came to sleeping. I was on sleeping pills including melatonin for over 2 years and now its been 3 weeks since i havent taken anything for sleep and sleep naturally.

Melatonin is not bad at all, just it does nothing for T, but it is good for lower BP at nights :)

9. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I pop a 0.5 valium 15 minutes befor bed and sleep 6 hours minium up to 8. None in the day but do workout at the gym one hour 5 times a week..