Has Prednisone Helped Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Elinor, Jun 16, 2019.

?

Has prednisone helped your tinnitus?

1. Yes, permanently made it better

2. Yes, temporarily made it better

3. No, permanently made it worse

4. No, temporarily made it worse

5. No, it had no effect on my tinnitus

6. I haven't taken prednisone

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Has anyone here actually had any relief with 40 mg of prednisone after getting a spike caused by acoustic trauma?

If yes, how long did it take until you noticed an improvement and how many dosages did you have?

If not, feel free to let me know as well.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but we'll see how this goes. :(

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Update: prednisone has not helped.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It didn't get rid of it entirely but it reduced it a lot. Time is the best healer. Mine came back but much lower in volume. Two weeks of 60-10 taper.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. bellecooper77
      Bookworm

bellecooper77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      When I first saw a doctor for my tinnitus, I had some fluid in my ear that my she (this was before I saw an ENT and got my hearing checked) determined could be the cause. I was on it for 5-6 days to try to get the fluid levels down and I can remember that it did temporarily help. However, I was in NYC when I was taking it, and in the middle of Times Square an ambulance passed by, siren at full blast, before I could cover my ears, and the tinnitus went back up to the volume it was before I started taking it (thats when I decided that I needed to see an ENT). So yes it did help and I strongly believe that if my ears didn’t get exposed to that loud sound it would have gone away due to the medication based off of the rate it was improving at.

5. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Does anyone think that if @bellecooper77 wasn't on prednisone the ambulance wouldn't affect her tinnitus?

6. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      This post isn't about if you should or not take a complete course of prednisone with a proper taper.

Be careful with prednisone when sick. Also prednisone shouldn't be taken off and on like candy as it can cause many problems such as damage to adrenal glands. There was a guy with tinnitus that came to the ER that had developed illnesses and lost weight. He was asked if he was a frequent flyer user of prednisone as several prescripts were written for him in the past. He said that I will take a 50mg pill one day and then maybe take another a few days later. He was a brief on and off user. His method of usage did provide him some temporary relief, but that caused a wide range of physical problems to develop. Consult doctor for advice.

https://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=38&m=1775488

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I took 5 50mgs over 5 days then stopped for a week or two. I had another loud sound exposure that set off the T again. I took another 5, and two more. I have 3 left. Should I taper or just finish the 3 over the next 3 days?

8. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely loud noise and earbuds
      I took a cycle of prednisone for pain after root canal. My tinnitus disappeared completely for 3 days. I thought I was cured and the infected tooth was causing my tinnitus. I cried I was so happy, my family was so excited to see be back to myself, and on day 4 the tinnitus came back and is worse then ever and I am on a 2 week spike, feeling devastated and losing hope. What else can I do to cut inflammation other than more steroids? I am 6 months in. Bought best turmeric, magnesium, NAC, nothing works. Maybe an injection? Even though I have had tinnitus for months there has to be an inflammation element to my condition, which I am assuming came build up of many years of concerts and singing in metal bands.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      I would recommend not getting prednisone advise here. It is a serious drug.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      I was prescribed it when I first developed Tinnitus. It didn't do anything for me -- didn't make it better, and didn't make it worse.

A lot of people here seem to take it like candy and I always worry about that. Although the drug seems to be safe enough if you take it as a one off, it's a very strong steroid and shouldn't be taken like a paracetamol, surely.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Quite a few here have found curcumin helpful.

Consider low dose naltrexone which can modulate the immune system?