Hate How This "Silent" or "Hidden" Chronic Issue Is Affecting My Life

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marie79, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      No one sees when I am up all night desperate to sleep. Last night nothing would mask the tinnitus. NOTHING. Yes I can keep myself distracted all day but not at night when I am trying to sleep.

Then because of lack of sleep and depression I get into fights with my husband and have less patience with my daughter. I feel like a horrible mom and wife.

I have been looking for help for my 7 year old for someone to get her up and take her to school. I work from home full time and that is the only childcare I need. I feel like my husband thinks I can do this because I work from home and that I am just being lazy.

He isn't really supportive of me finding someone to help do that and it makes me feel like crap. I can't get to sleep until 2-4 am and if I don't get enough sleep my tinnitus goes nuts all day.

• Hug Hug x 10
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. JoyBenz007
      No Mood

JoyBenz007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Are you against taking medicine for sleep?

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Sleeping tablets can help but for long term use a low antidepresant like Nortriptyline or Amitriptyline are really good.
      Love glynis x

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Me too. Work caused my severe tinnitus, and few people at work are at all sympathetic.

Invisible disabilities suck.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Amiel

Amiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      You work from home and can't bother to wake up to get your daughter to school? You need help for that?

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      If you don't want to take medications for sleep I suggest Hibiscus Tea. It really helped when I had issues with my new loud T noises keeping me up all night. I don't need it now unless my T screams at me. If you try it I suggest taking it 1 hour to 30 min before bed. Or you'll figure out when to take it.

Good luck. I know what you mean. When you can finally sleep do to exhaustion and just need to keep sleeping once you fall asleep.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      How intrusive is your tinnitus? You are suffering, and sometimes it's hard for others to understand. However, you have to remember that you aren't completely powerless. And you have to make sure you take care of yourself before you can take care of others. And you don't want your family to fall apart. I've seen your other posts, and it seems you're trying to find a way to manage this. But just make sure you don't give it power over your life. That is making it bigger than it really is.

Recently I lost all of what I considered family. They are what made everything manageable for me. I could really suffer anything so long as I had them. Now they are gone, and it's terrible. Make the best of everything you have and don't focus on too many of the negatives. I wake up crying every morning now, and it isn't due to the tinnitus. It doesn't seem that important now.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I take Cyclobenzaprine. It really has been a live saver. My tinnitus is very loud. I could never sleep without something. It's not a sleeping pill but it does the job and isn't addictive.

• Like Like x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It takes ALOT for me to get to sleep and if I only get 3-4 hours a night all this T and H crap gets significantly worse. I don't have the natural ability anymore to go to sleep or nap when I'm just tired. So I can't get home and go to sleep when I need to

10. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      I feel you on the nap thing. I just can't do it anymore. Maybe we'll both get it back after a time. ;)

11. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Try melatonin. Its a natural supplement and has helped me get to sleep quite a bit. My dad's friend couldn't get to sleep after surgery and was complaining about it. I recommended melatonin and he didn't do it at first but after the same old, same old, he finally got some. It helped him tremendously. He was very appreciative and thanked me.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      @Marie79 - totally understand, having children of a similar age. You need to sleep to function, period.

The school run is very tiring, hence my hubby has taken it over...I used to do it then get to work flustered, have a coffee and keep going like most working mums who also have to do the school run. But as I need to be lucid for work - I sit in an office for a long day with my ears ringing away which is rubbish anyway - being tired as well cannot happen.
      You know what you need in order to perform your role as a mum and wife, nobody else does as they're not in your shoes, so see if getting a minder for the morning run works. I think it's great that you are taking positive steps and coming up with strategies.

• Like Like x 1
    13. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Can you fall asleep without it? Do you feel relaxed after waking up? Do you have dreams when you sleep?

14. Ben In SD
      Balanced

Ben In SD Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Natural Hearing Loss
      I was in the same boat until I tried this Sound Pillow. I realize that everyone is different when it comes to sound therapy and masking techniques, but this pillow has helped me out a ton. http://www.soundpillow.com/

15. Christokp

Christokp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      For the past week I've been using this YouTube video to sleep. It masks my tinntius pretty good, especially if you have a high pitch ring, crickets, and/or buzz sound.

10 Hour Best Tinnitus Sound Therapy Ever

16. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I can fall asleep without it, but I can't stay asleep. I have dreams. I don't feel relaxed when I wake up but that is because I immediately hear the noise and realize how deaf I am.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Feeling for ya...i have an app that i use on my iphone called white noise. I have this recording loop of the soothing sound of my heat being turned up and it does wonders. It may not completely mask it but it def blends nicely with my T. My T is 8000 khz so it is high pitch. I sleep well with it. If you are interested download the app (which is free) and let me know and I will send you the recording via email. Its def worth a try.

FYI - Just to add I dont take anything at all except vitamins. I drink a cup of coffee almost everyday and drink alcohol occasionally as well.

18. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      I have the same problem, can't stay asleep. Been using muscle relaxants to sleep for a while too... but I don't feel relaxed at all when waking up

19. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I use quetiapine for sleeping for 2/3months already, I sleep like a baby for 8-9h a night. Before that I had sleeping problems, could sleep in average 5h a night. MAybe you can try it

20. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most probably TMJD and neck issues that came with it.
      I took Melatonin ( 10 mg) at the same hour (11 pm) every day for 45 days. Now even after 3 months, I can't help myself but fall asleep at 11.30 pm no matter how loud my T is. It is incredibly good and all natural.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1