Have I Gotten Tinnitus from Loud Music?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dankmemes, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Dankmemes

Dankmemes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone! So today I was in the car with my friends for about 30 minutes and they started playing music moderately loud. It was at about 75% the whole time then they turned it up to full volume for about 3 minutes. It was on stock speakers.

I’m worried because about a year ago I started hearing VERY low hissing sounds. I hear them all the time if I concentrate on them but when I’m about my day or even when I’m sleeping I don’t hear it only if I concentrate on it. I wear ear plugs for anything that is known to cause hearing damage such as rock concerts and riding motorcycles.

I didn’t wear any while I was in the car because it genuinely didn’t sound that loud at all but when I got out of the car my ears felt irritated.

Am I okay or just overreacting?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is a mild form of tinnitus. Now imagine those sounds being loud and high-pitch. That would be a lot harder to ignore.

If you are not experiencing an ear fullness sensation and your tinnitus hasn't changed, you ought to be ok. But do keep in mind that some (many?) tinnitus sufferers appear to be more vulnerable to loud noises than the healthy people. Their ears had been compromised. Since you have tinnitus, you want to be extremely careful now.