Have Steroids Helped People When Administered in 48 hours After Noise??

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lauren Morse, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Lauren Morse
      Cowabunga

Lauren Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma/Migraines
      Hi again.

Well, I got what may have been a noise spike albeit it is unclear.

Last night I went to a formal dance party. I actually stayed in the lobby, knowing I would be screwed if I went to the dance floor itself. There was a glass wall separating me from the dance floor and moderately loud bass music for 5 minutes while I conversed with friends. It really was not that loud where I was, at all, and I am highly aware of when things get too loud and become unsafe. When it did get loud with a lot of people coming in and out, I left and was already wearing earplugs at that point. I remember feeling completely ok leaving the dance floor, nothing up with my hearing.
      Later, I ended up falling asleep near a piano. It was totally quiet until some really loud girls came and started playing the piano loud for just a few seconds. That's when my ears went off and I could perceive a new tinnitus frequency. As of this morning until this evening my hearing has just been getting worse and worse, though strangely I have had no tinnitus whatsoever.

This is the 5th time this has happened in the past couple months from noises that should not have hurt me immediately.

Any idea for what treatments could help my hearing at this early stage? I had taken 1200 mg of NAC before going to the winter formal, but it seemed to have done nothing to protect me. Has anyone had positive experiences with steroids and regained hearing when administered in a timely manner (first 48 hours?). I might try getting some tomorrow, though I know they have not helped in the past (when started 5 days after noise).

2. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      2500 mg of N-Acetylcysteine before noise exposure and 1500 mg afterwards for a few days are supposed to protect, according to research the army did.

Steroids will only help if the tinnitus is due to inflammation, AFAIK, but some people had success with it after acoustic shock.

3. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Might be more..50mg/kg?