Have Tinnitus in Both Ears and Hyperacusis in the Right Ear. But Have to Ride the NYC Subway!

Discussion in 'Support' started by DCM, May 23, 2017.

1. DCM

DCM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 12, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire Exploding
      Hi everyone,

I have been riding the subway 6 days a week for work. But almost all the time my T & H spikes like 95%. I have worn ear plugs, 3M head protectors & Bose noise cancelling head phone with white noise low below my T. The train DB level ranges from 75-100 and I read an article where you should wear ear plugs when riding the train anyway. By the time I get off the train my T is driving me nuts and of course my ears are ringing riding to my work place in city traffic. I would love to get a job where I don't have to take the train. I know I am protecting my ears but hearing the T drives me crazy today.

My T was noise induced. My ears did calm down at work today and yesterday on my only day off as I don't ride the train I am fine. Even driving my car 66 mustang doesn't affect me like that with no ear plugs...

Had this for 4.5 months now. Ear doctor said the Bose head phones are good.
      Also noticed my right ear has improved a bit in the past week, but still rings from the train.
      I get distortion on my right ear on the train with no ear protection at times but much better than 3 months ago.

Right now I just don't want to risk it so I wear ear protection but I don't want to make my ears more sensitive too.

No ear drum or hearing damage. Will be seeing a doctor about coping with this in a few weeks will ask more questions. They all say it takes time because you had one time noise exposure and it can go away. Maybe my L ear not sure about my R ear....

Thanks for your time

2. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Hmmm seems weird it should still bother you even with earplugs in.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I would find another job, if I were you. Listen to your body. Stop riding that subway. You don't want to regret this for the rest of your life. IMHO.

4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I'd have thought Tinnitus would be the least of your worries on the NY subway.

5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      "No ear drum or hearing damage." An ENT can tell you that there is no ear drum damage but the doctor cannot really assure that you have "no hearing damage", even looking at an audiometric test. That is one of the main problems diagnosing early stages of H or T. That there may be hearing damage but they do not recognise it.

If I were you, I would stop riding the tube, as sounds peaking 100 dbs cannot be blocked even using double protection (earplugs plus earmuffs). Those sounds made their way through bone conduction. If you have hearing sensitivity, it would be wise to give your ears a good rest for an extended period of time (weeks or a few months).

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DCM

DCM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 12, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire Exploding
      I am now riding my bike to work but have to deal with traffic noise, did this before we moved and I got used to traffic noise was doing better, now the distance is greater but the time on the bike vrs the train is about the same...

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am glad you were able to do something to hopefully facilitate your recovery. Is the traffic noise bothering you even when you wear good earplugs? I would advise you to wear Peltor earmuffs, but you have to wear a helmet...