Have You Tried Silence?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MountainCreek, Sep 9, 2016.

1. MountainCreek

MountainCreek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Radio
      I am curious if anyone with sound induced tinnitus has been in silence (as that of a typical bedroom, with no sounds from traffic outside or anything that can mask the tinnitus sound at all)? For how long and what happened?

2. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I tried that lots of times and it got a lot louder for me. Then I freaked out and got even LOUDER. Then I freaked out more

3. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I used to think about it. What if person with tinnitus is completely isolated from external sounds for... let's say.. a few days?
      I think it must be horrible, but when get back to normal background, it feels like hearing perception is better, more faint sounds registered. Just my opinion. I don't think I am brave enough to do such experiment.

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I sleep in a very quiet room every night without any masking whatsoever. I also sit in a quiet room without the tv or masking on; sometimes for several hours without a problem.

Depends on my emotional state and my fatigue levels as to how much time i can spend in the quiet.

5. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I never use masking simply because nothing can mask my combination of low and high beeps, hums and tones. Sometimes in a very quiet room the T can fade to very low. Usually this is a residual effect of tenazepam or phenergan. Very welcome when it happens but I know the T will be back to its super loud state in a while.

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/Insane sinus congestion/TMJ/mold allergy/dog bark??????
      I generally find silence tolerable. For a long time felt like it made the T better.
      When my high pitched T sounds disappear.(Leaving only others). I find silence extremely enjoyable.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MountainCreek

MountainCreek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Radio
      If you like the restaurant to turn down the volume of the music in order to avoid tinnitus to spike, how can you handle that situation? Usually the staff misunderstand me, and increase the volume instead. Few people seem to ask for lower volume.

8. Hammerhead
      Musical

Hammerhead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud rock bands and concerts
      Thanks for this very interesting thread- I have not heard people talk about this before. I've often said that my tinnitus seems to compete with ambient sound and it demands to be heard.... it seems that the louder the sound levels around me, the louder my tinnitus becomes.
      I also sleep with no masking, and sometimes wear earplugs (yes I am being careful of hyperacusis) and I sleep the best when I have blocked out all ambient sound. My tinnitus does not disturb my sleep.
      I've had moments during the day when my tinnitus suddenly fades to the background when I'm not thinking about it ....almost a sensation that I nodded off into a brief sleep, but I did not. I quickly realize that my tinnitus got quiet and wonder how I did that ....and then the loudness immediately comes back.