Head Related Trauma Delayed Onset Tinnitus from Automobile Accident

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jazzcatt, Feb 8, 2018.

1. jazzcatt

jazzcatt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      delayed onset Head Trauma related Tinnitus
      Hi everyone,
      I pulled out into an intersection and got hit by a driver that never slowed down, (no skid marks or braking) It is estimated that he was probably going between 35 and 45 mph. I got hit on the drivers side just in front of my door. My head hit the side window, and I ended up with a hematoma on my left temple unconscious at the scene.

The CT scan at emergency was inconclusive. About 8 days later, (This was the first week of March 2016) I woke up to a combination high frequency pitch mixed with a white noise (moderate hissing sound in both ears. It has never subsided, nor changes for any reason.

I've done a lot of research and discovered that Claus-F. Claussen, MD has done a great deal of journal published research into this topic.

Has anyone been diagnosed with this condition to head trauma?

Thank You,
      Jack Ciarniello

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum @jazzcatt.
      Head trauma is a well known cause for causing tinnitus. If there is not enough response to you, you can try to post it to the main support forum or just search the forums with 'head trauma'. There have been much discussion on this in the past as in below link. So it is quite a common occurrence. Hope you will find something helpful in the link below. Take care. god bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/search/2098443/?q=head+trauma&o=relevance

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Lebber
      Scared

Lebber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mild head trauma (muscle tension)
      Yes i had t from a concussion. Delayed onset is very typical in those cases. Head traumas are very complex injuries. There is a lot going on when you hit your head.

With mild head traumas (no visible brain injury) it goes away in most cases. But if not it is worth getting a full checkup. Auditory nerves run through the neck and jaw and it is possible a hit to the head agravated those nerves.

To give you an example. In my case i hit the back of my head (where the trapezius muscles begin). This aggravated my neck muscles and in turn my jaw muscles. Because those muscles are connected. Those muscles started to clench and constricted the auditory nerves and thise became hyperactive and thus t. I went into physiotherapy for my injuries. These are all clear now and the t has lowered a lot. But there was more going on. The hit to my head caused some internal bruising where my eustachian tubes are and i also have etd which causes some t too. This to show how complex head injuries can be.

Its good that you had a scan right away. The doctor can additionally check for a inner ear concussion. If all is clear chances are high that it willgo away with time.

Make sure you rest up now and look for some anti inflammatory suplements/diet to give your injury the best chance for healing.

I know how scary head injuries can be so I wish you a speed recovery.

4. Lebber
      Scared

Lebber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oops i read over the fact that ot happened in 2016. So I'm guessing you already went to the whole procedure of treating your injuries. Any luck witg that?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jazzcatt

jazzcatt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately not, as a matter of fact, my ENT won't even acknowledge that tinnitus can come from head trauma. He says I have hearing loss and that's what caused it.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jazzcatt

jazzcatt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Billie!

7. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      This so needs to end. A lot of people are talking about developing T after head injuries and neck injuries, yet the medical profession is so quick to say they are not connected. I don't get it, more research is needed about this.

8. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Yeah, they all say hearing loss caused it seems. You wonder if it's compressed nerves in upper neck or possibly muscle spasms?

9. Lebber
      Scared

Lebber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Damn thats so harsh. If it makes you feel a bit better, i had the same experience with my ent. I told him i got t from a concussion. He said thats impossible, its stress...