Head Upside Down = Hum and Fullness in Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by johndoejohndoes, May 3, 2018.

1. johndoejohndoes

johndoejohndoes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Last week I was hit with random “light headed” sensations whenever I stood up. This probably lasted for about a week and now it’s better.

But now, if I drop my head down until it is upside down, I get a low “hum/roar” noise in my right ear and it feels very full. When I stand up everything feels perfect again. Is this normal?

If you stand up and lean far enough over to touch your feet (so you’re head is in a downward position) you should be able to recreate what I’m talking about.

Let me know if you feel/hear what I am or if you don’t. Just trying to figure out if this is normal or what it could be.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Could be blood pressure related..(n)

3. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've experienced this on and off for the last few months. You may be able to hear your heart beat 'whooshing' if you hang yourself upside down. If this is the case, the pulsatile T subsection may be of help. It is like glynis said often related to blood pressure or other vascular conditions.

My ENT told me that inflammation in the ear may cause blood vessels to come into contact with the auditory channels and make your heart beat to be heard that way too. In my case, inflamed tubes may be the cause.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      johndoejohndoes

johndoejohndoes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just went to ENT today and my ears are clear (and blood pressure is normal).

5. perspective3025

perspective3025 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @johndoejohndoes, do you still get the same increase in volume when you are upside down. This is probably the worse part of my T when I do certain exercises.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      johndoejohndoes

johndoejohndoes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, any time my head is upside down or trying to look under something (and tilting) and hear a full hum noise and fullness in my right ear.

It’s definitely pulsatile tinnitus, but I want to make sure it’s nothing worse.

Will be getting an MRA/MRV soon.

7. Tisyuck

Tisyuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs
      When I bend my head/back over I get fullness and pressure in my ear. I have Eustachian Tube dysfunction on top of T and H.